The online racing simulator
Bug?: Fuel consumption.
(12 posts, started )
Hello, because of a race this morning I began to calculate how much fuel we need.

The XFG, with a tank of 45l need about 1,1% per lap in BlackWood, this is 0,495l per lap (3,3 km): 15l/100km. I think this is too low for a 120bhp car racing over 7.000rpm all the time, isn't it? UF GTR consumes 20l/100km, racing over 8000rpm all the time. XF GTR 23l/100km...

A citröen saxo vts, 1.6l (16v) with 980kg and 120bhp, drived over 6.000rpm you have a fuel consumption over 20l/100km. Could be possible a more realistic fuel consumption?

Thanks and sorry for possible mistakes.
how do u know the fuel consumption of xfr/ufr?
Hi Stafani! Simple

As we have the capacity of the fuel tank and the track distance we can calculate all percentages we want. The 1,1% of 45 (XFG fuel tank) is 0,495l. So the car consumes 0,495l in 3,3km of the BlackWood track. So if in 3,3km consumes 0,495l... how much consume in 100km?

I don't know how is called this method in english, we call it a "rule of 3".

Even FZ50 GTR consumes more fuel than BMW Sauber F1.

regards!
The point he made is that you are a demo racer and don't have access to all these cars but the XFG. So how do you know their fuel usage?
#5 - J@tko
Quote from Jambo (Spa) :Hi Stafani! Simple

As we have the capacity of the fuel tank and the track distance we can calculate all percentages we want. The 1,1% of 45 (XFG fuel tank) is 0,495l. So the car consumes 0,495l in 3,3km of the BlackWood track. So if in 3,3km consumes 0,495l... how much consume in 100km?

I don't know how is called this method in english, we call it a "rule of 3".

Even FZ50 GTR consumes more fuel than BMW Sauber F1.

regards!

He means that 'how do you know the fuel consumption of an S2 car if you only own the demo'

@Stefani - It's avaidable widely on teh internets.
Quote from J@tko :He means that 'how do you know the fuel consumption of an S2 car if you only own the demo'

@Stefani - It's avaidable widely on teh internets.

Oh! (thanks!) A friend of mine have the S2 license (he told me about the LFS game ). I calculated the fuel consumption for UF 1000 and XFG, then my friend gave me the percentages of many cars using msn

regards!
Bug? Fuel consumption (repost)
Hello, because of a race this morning I began to calculate how much fuel we need.

The XFG, with a tank of 45l need about 1,1% per lap in BlackWood, this is 0,495l per lap (3,3 km): 15l/100km. I think this is too low for a 120bhp car racing over 7.000rpm all the time, isn't it? UF GTR consumes 20l/100km, racing over 8000rpm all the time. XF GTR 23l/100km...

A citröen saxo vts, 1.6l (16v) with 980kg and 120bhp, drived over 6.000rpm you have a fuel consumption over 20l/100km. Could be possible a more realistic fuel consumption?

Thanks and sorry for possible mistakes, and sorry for posting again (i didn't saw this forum before).
We don't need a repost, this definitely isn't a bug.

I'm not so certain those numbers are all that low. First, you must consider that you are not at full throttle the entire time. Also, you drive fast on racetracks, and when at full throttle, fuel economy improves with speed.
Quote from Bob Smith :
I'm not so certain those numbers are all that low. First, you must consider that you are not at full throttle the entire time. Also, you drive fast on racetracks, and when at full throttle, fuel economy improves with speed.

Sorry for the repost

I know you are not at full throttle all the time but the most of time you are (in Blackwood) so the average of rpm is around 6500-7500. About the fuel economy versus speed, as far as I know, the efficiency of the fuel consumption is higher at high rpm (more hp per liter of fuel), but the ECU is injecting more fuel per unit of time so the average consumption is higher.

Regards and sorry.
Quote :About the fuel economy versus speed, as far as I know, the efficiency of the fuel consumption is higher at high rpm (more hp per liter of fuel), but the ECU is injecting more fuel per unit of time so the average consumption is higher.

Fuel consumption per TIME unit will increase, but consumption per DISTANCE will decrease.
Quote from atledreier :Fuel consumption per TIME unit will increase, but consumption per DISTANCE will decrease.

That would be correct if we ignore the air resistence. A car at 120km/h consumes more fuel every 100km than the same car at 90km/h. And the same car at 180km/h consumes a lot more every 100km than 120km/h. When you increase the speed, the car must overcome much more air resistence, so the total consumption increases.

regards
I don't think the fuel consumption is that wrong, the 1.6 Focus I drive did the drive to Donington (70 motorway miles) and 160 track miles on one 50 litre tank of fuel, after which it wasn't showing any signs of pick up problems on track and the warning light didn't come on before we stopped for fuel so it could probably have done the return journey as well. Admittedly we only revved it to 6000rpm which would have improved economy and the engine is in no way design or tuned for performance use.

This would equate to approximately, if the road fuel usage and remaining fuel was assumed to be 10 litres, in reality it may have been more, then it works out as 15.4l/100km. A smaller capacity higher revving and harder driven road engine (XFG) should be using about the same. I'm suprised how close the results are, it seems LFS is pretty spot on.

Whilst working fuel per lap is rather vague assuming a generic circuit of approximately 2 miles/90 seconds/medium speed, I think ball park figures from real experience would probably be .5l a lap for a small road car, .5-1l a lap for small single seaters, just over 1 litre a lap for a sub 3 litre N/A GT car and over 1.5l a lap for a full blown 5 litre+ N/A GT car. I don't know how closely LFS follows these estimates.

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG