The online racing simulator
Unstable FPS
(12 posts, started )
Unstable FPS***Solved
Hi,

Since a week my FPS started to go mad while playing LFS. I select a combo then click 'GO'. The FPS is at 177 then it goes down to 6.5, 3.4 and then it comes back to 70FPS. Then it jumps between 70, 30 and 90 FPS. It's not a cooling problem as I have 2 fans (integrated+added) cooling my graphics card. Anyone have a suggestion for me? Everything else than LFS isn't working when I play so I don't know what else it could be...

My GFX is a Nvidia 7600GT 512mb.

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like a background task is hogging recources, I can't think of any other reason for such an unstable frame rate. Check your background tasks to see what's going on, and is this offline and online, or only one or the other? Uploading stuff while racing online will do this, usually you'll time out if this bad though. Do you know how to do this?
Quote from DHRammstein :Sounds like a background task is hogging recources, I can't think of any other reason for such an unstable frame rate. Check your background tasks to see what's going on, and is this offline and online, or only one or the other? Uploading stuff while racing online will do this, usually you'll time out if this bad though. Do you know how to do this?

I think there's a spyware of something sucking my juice here because, with everything but LFS closed, my computer is still operating like mad! I tried to remove it with Ad-Aware and Spybot, can't seems to take it out...
As a start you should check the task manager on which process is taking up your CPU time. Maybe post a screenshot of the "Processes" tab (sorted descending by CPU usage)?

E: Also close down any background processes before playing LFS, all that unnecessary stuff like Bittorent downloads, iTunes, LFS World, etc.
#5 - Jakg
Go to "Task Manager" then the "Processes" tab, then order by CPU (or Memory) usage - is anything unusual eating a lot of resources?
Well when I sort them out by names, I see about 7-8 svcost.exe applications running and using between 1200 and 25 000 Ko. When I tried to close 2-3 of them, I got a message from Windows saying that I had closed something I shouldn't and the computer was going to boot in 1:00:00.

Edit: It seems to be a spyware:

http://fileinfo.prevx.com/QQ05 ... O11814444/SVCOST.EXE.html
*sigh*

Svchost is not necessarily spyware - it depends on where it is started from. I have no spyware but about 5 svchost processes running, please don't go around and kill processes if you have no idea what you're doing. Post a screenshot instead.

Install Process Explorer, run it and hover the svchost processes to see where they were started from. Even better, make a screenshot of that instead of the taskmanager.
I have Nvidia 7600GT too, and my FPS isnt fully stable either, but it dont sounds that bad as yours FPS
..This?
I think I scared the spyware away when I shout at my computer.

/solved!
Quote from Rascar13 :I have Nvidia 7600GT too, and my FPS isnt fully stable either, but it dont sounds that bad as yours FPS

if you enable v-sync & set max fps to your monitors refresh rate that should stablise the peaks. As for the troughs, you could try lowering your graphics settings?
Quote from anttt69 :if you enable v-sync & set max fps to your monitors refresh rate that should stablise the peaks...

+1

My monitor's refresh rate is 85Hz and I set the max FPS to 90 in LFS which makes the whole game a lot smoother than having drops from 120 to 90FPS. And if you are using a LCD monitor, just enable Vsync and Setthe FPS limit to 62FPS (60FPS is never really 60, it's like 58.5 or something like this.

Unstable FPS
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG