The online racing simulator
Thank you for not taking the SAMPLE-ier way!
I really wanted to thank Scawen and co. in choosing to develop the sound in LFS the way they do! Really, i am VERY greatfull for this!!
Don't want to sound like the uber Fan boy, but i really wanted to say that!
Yesterday i gave a chance to one simulation(no names, you will see in the video), but i really can't believe that some people prefer sampled sounds over this ULTRA INFORMATIVE LFS sound... Been playing their games LONG enough to know what i'm talking about...(and can't believe the progress in this department is still 10 years old).
So... here's the video of what i am talking about. The way aplying the gas/releasing it, holding it half, 2/3 full, etc is just ridicolous using the samples. They SOUND great, but that's where the story ends. It's an MP3 player...
As far as i am concerned, you can lock the thread, or whatever(preferably locked Sticky ). Don't want to start a flame war or whatever, my main goal was just one BIG THANK YOU for the way you are developing the game!! Don't give up on this, and don't take shortcuts!!
Thank you for making my second half of this year so FULL of pleasure and entertainment!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Regards.
here you see - err hear - that LFS engine sound is actually really cool, it just lacks a lot of additional sounds. like some whine here, some crackling there etc.
#3 - Gunn
Good on you Boris for seeing it as it is. Enjoy the dynamic engine sounds of LFS which give real audible feedback of engine revs.
That cockpit in that other game there in the vid is just ugly! Looks like its been pulled from NFS1 illepall It would have been nice to hear comparison when cars go by the camera, but the winner is clear even without that I suppose. Good vid
Quote from Boris Lozac :(preferably locked Sticky ).

Stickys are reserved for useful/helpful posts. This isnt useful, or helpful, so it shouldnt be stickied.

And LFS still sounds like a bunch of angry wasps when you get into the HIGH RPMs.
Wasp power :yipee:
#7 - Vain
Signed. Dynamic sounds are the way to go.

Vain
#8 - axus
Quote from L(Oo)ney :Stickys are reserved for useful/helpful posts. This isnt useful, or helpful, so it shouldnt be stickied.

And LFS still sounds like a bunch of angry wasps when you get into the HIGH RPMs.

Hey, here's an idea! Let's try to respect other people's oppinion! There is nothing wrong with voicing your own oppinion but please don't make it sound like your oppinion is the right one for everyone and is therefore the only possible oppinion. I happen to like LFS' basic engine sound and I believe that with a few effects thrown in, LFS' sound engine will be ahead of the competition by miles here too.
I love the dynamic sound engine, i'm very mechanically minded illepall and like to hear things really working hard and most of the engine sounds ingame are awesome, ok it might be nice to have some more farts and pops and maybee some sort of variable like exhaust length etc, something that would enable the car developer to hone the character of the exhaust sound,

the flat 4 engine in the FXR sounds awesome tho guys, sounds frightening at 3 or 5 cylinders but we all know that's just not cricket.
So true. I have always loved how the sound behaves in LFS. Major props once again to the LFS team.
Quote from Blackout :Wasp power :yipee:

LMAO
I never whined about the sounds, I only played the gtr and rfactor demo, but since Im so busy trying to keep my line, stay clean, and aware of my surroundings, the sound feedbacks are what help me know when to shift
I think it could use more ambient sounds but that can be done in s3, theres so much more that can be improved, but its one thing that should be on the list of things to do I hope.
Quote from Infiniti :
I think it could use more ambient sounds but that can be done in s3

Exactly! I just wanted to state that they chose the right way of doing it!!
They want to give us the best racing feeling, and they are doing it step by step, instead of doing it the "WOW, look how this SOUNDS! I didn't waste that money on my expensive speakers after all" way ..
Sorry, but a V8 boxer need to roar like an elk during rutting season and a turbocharged car needs more than a popoff sound, it needs a screaming kitchen mixer sound on high rpm. LFS has the nice feature of a hearing aid, but the sound feels way to good-behaved to me. Even my supercharged Mini Cooper sounds way more agressive and tempting. Hope devs will redo it.
They wont re do the sound engine they will just improve it. The fact the Devs have taken the hard way in the damage model, sounds, tyres etc just shows they aren't wanting to take short cuts like pretty much all the other sims.

Keiran
#16 - Jakg
not quite sure if any of the engines sound good, but i love the sound the Z750 makes!
Generated sounds is the right way to do it. The problem is that in LFS the it feels good but sounds bad. In other games it's the other way around: it sounds good but it doesn't give you feedback (maybe with some exceptions like GPL?). After playing LFS for 7 months I just recently started to understand the importance on this aspect. In other games it really just feels that the car engine is not doing the same thing what I'm doing with my gas pedal.

In my opinion Scavier should really hire "a sound man". Just to record and make all the additional sounds. I'd really like to hear in S3 some kind of new sound engine which would combine generated sounds and sampled sounds. AFAIK netKar pro is using that kind of engine?

Quote :not quite sure if any of the engines sound good, but i love the sound the Z750 makes!

Whaat? You mean FZ50?
This is one of the big problems I have with LFS. The way the sound works and the feedback it gives you competely ruined all other sims for me (ha, that was a little sarcasm, I love the way it's done ). As I'm trying to like Racer as a getaway from the online racing and doing a little offline track day thing in simulated real cars, I just can't get the feel of the cars because of the way everything in LFS just melts together for excellent feedback. Sure the sound isn't all that great, but the feedback you get from the way it is developed far outshines the fact that it isn't that great of a sound. I have been diving into the ini file settings of Racer trying to get cars to feel right and everything I test I think, "is this how it would be in LFS?" Definitely Kudos to the devs for doing it the right way rather than the way to just get it released.
I don't like the shock sounds. They are too sharp. But yes, they are just what they represent, nothing more than that.

It's an awful thing playing rfactor, and you just softly hit a wall and that garish sound of glasses broking and metal parts falling down...

But a sound is just something that can be modificated, given to it a good hearing. I believe is possible to combine samples with on line calculations, and give better sounds more related with real engine sounds, shock sounds, tyre sounds and so on.

I also miss gearbox and diferential sounds, and body sounds.

If gears soubds are there I don't know, but I think they aren't. It must be not too much difficult to simulate gears sounds.

Body sounds is something diferent, that would need other idea, cause once there are only simulated sounds, it would be necessary to simulate the body parts movement to give them their own sounds.

I see a few problems with sounds, such as tyre squeaking, that happens even with car stop, being enough turn the wheels to start screaming.
Quote from Vykos69 :here you see - err hear - that LFS engine sound is actually really cool, it just lacks a lot of additional sounds. like some whine here, some crackling there etc.

That is exactly what I feel. And well the engine sounds CAN be improved, and I wish there was more 'beef' in the noises, because after hearing some cars... like that V8 Aston Martin, and some Formula cars... we really have some weak and dry sounds.

Would personally like all the other sounds you'd hear in a race car like Vykos just said, and have some engine sound improvement, so they don't sound like robot motors. Because on a nice speaker system, they just don't sound inviting to have at loud volume. High RPMs are very low too, and not exciting at all. (for some carS)

I would like the devs to stay at synthed sounds, because samples do cut in and out a lot, that is the thing I have never liked about most simulations.

BTW, good video, even the car driving in LFS looks far more like driving a real car.
Before I played MSFS I also thought "samples are bad". But in Microsoft Flight Simulator there is a complicated and flexible system of makig engines sounds. Engine sounds may be constructed of several samples that sound differently, with different loudness at different RPMs. Those who play it, know what I mean, those who don't won't understand.

I need to note also that these samples are subjected to doppler effect (while in LFS the samples, like horns, crashes, are not, and that's noticeable).

Synthesized sounds will be the future, but still samples sound better. The advantage of synthesized is that when I make a different engine in LFSTweak, I get the new sound automatically.
Quote from deggis :AFAIK netKar pro is using that kind of engine?

This is how false information is created. Netkar will ship initially with both a sampled sound engine and a synthesised sound engine. It will be up to the user to choose which to use, and the less popular will probably be removed from NetKar (or indeed merged into the better system, but thats not been mentioned by Stefano).
Quote from deggis :Scavier

The name is Scawen
Quote from Boris Lozac :I really wanted to thank Scawen and co. in choosing to develop the sound in LFS the way they do! Really, i am VERY greatfull for this!!

:iagree: Keep on working dev's.

RGDS!
Quote from SlamDunk :The name is Scawen

Scavier means Scawen, Victor and Eric. It's not an official term, but one the community dreamt up.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG