The online racing simulator
Boston Dynamics Big Dog
(23 posts, started )
Boston Dynamics Big Dog
This is easily the best walking robot I have ever seen:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww

Especially impressive at 0:36 when someone boots it from one side and it's perfectly able to right itself. Also the shots of it walking and keeping itself upright on ice.
That's so cool!
That's creepy. :yikes:
#4 - Jakg
Christ that kick-thing was cool.
Looks like a headless dog walking on hot coals, sounds like a wasp.

Well done them, very realistic.
That's absolutely awesome! What has impressed me is how it reacts to the side-kick and the ice, it's just like a four-legged animal would react.

Though i wonder what was causing the sound: sounds like some rc-car engine, maybe something like that acts as a pump? Because in the indoor scenes it was attached to some sort of tubes, probably providing air to the system.
Imagine waking up to to that thing walking past your bed, looking like that and making that noise. That's terrifying!

But in terms of walking it's amazing! If you put a head on it and some fur, it's a believable animal.
Quote from Fabri91 :Though i wonder what was causing the sound: sounds like some rc-car engine, maybe something like that acts as a pump? Because in the indoor scenes it was attached to some sort of tubes, probably providing air to the system.

Yes, I imagine it has something similar to a chainsaw engine providing power to the compressor (the legs look pneumatic) when it's not hooked up to the testing rig.

It reminds me of the Hunters from Half-Life 2: Ep2. The shape of the legs looks pretty much identical.

The resemblance is uncanny.
Thats wierd. Gives me the creeps when its slipping on that ice and standing up. *shivers*
Quote from mcintyrej :Thats wierd. Gives me the creeps when its slipping on that ice and standing up. *shivers*

+1.

Imagine being in the middle of no where, and then suddenly hearing "whir-ir-ir-ir-ir" and then seing the outline of that thing running towards you. O_O'

For some reason though, i burst out laughing when i seen it slipping on the ice >.<

Reminds me of the lockets adverts that get shown at winter
Looks more like a deer than a dog but I'm no biologist so what do I know.

Looks a bit creepy, I admit
Quote from mcintyrej :Thats wierd. Gives me the creeps when its slipping on that ice and standing up. *shivers*

That, my friend, is a common (but undefined) parallel to the Uncanny Valley.
Thats the feeling you get when you see for the first time a new and diferent life form.
Agreed, it's very impressive, but that way it jerks its legs is what makes it creepy for me. The movement isn't smooth and nautral. It's got a better sense of balance that some people I know.

Could easily pass for alien life.
That is creepy. It would have been even creepier had it attacked the guy that tried to knock it over.
#18 - JJ72
looks like two zombies being cut in half and tied together. yikess
you guys have some really low creepyness threshold
i think its absolutely brilliant and nothing else
The buzzing sound might be caused by the spinning of gyroscopes that give the robot its sense of balance.

It IS pretty amazing - especially, how it climbed over that pile of cinderblocks. I wonder how it would react if one of its legs got stuck.
It's brilliant, but something about it is really creepy. Jesus it's loud too.
Quote from David33 :The buzzing sound might be caused by the spinning of gyroscopes that give the robot its sense of balance.

nah gyros sound completely different
and i doubt they used mechanic gyros for this
it really does sound a whole lot like an rc nitro engine

Quote :I wonder how it would react if one of its legs got stuck.

chew it off maybe?
It starts thrashing about wildly and then emits a continuous bloodcurdling, inhuman scream that chills you to your very soul

Boston Dynamics Big Dog
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG