The online racing simulator
Would you recomend me Rfactor?
(32 posts, started )

Poll : Is Rfactor any good?

Closed since :
No don't buy its its waste of your money its crap!!
yes i recommend you buying it its good
I dunno
In June im planing to buy a new pc monitor keybord webcam and the lot specificly for gaming(okay sim racing:razz

And i just wanted to know is aRfactor good game to play with al these mods.

Ore is it pure plane crap athats a waste of my money post in the poll and if u feel like it pleas explain your awnser so i can understand why i should buy ore why i should NOt buy

BTW i wil keep playing lfs alot!! rfactor wil just be a sim i just do once in while

Thanks Chrisuu
It's good, with a few of the mods (and I mean a *few* of them... there aren't many). However, my opinion will be lost here amongst the mass of people who will flood in and say rFactor is rubbish.
Feel free to ignore James, he hasn't taken his meds today.

BAD JAMES! PUT YOUR CLOTHES BACK ON!

:hide:
It's not brilliant but it's good to be able to thrash something different to the LFS cars. No where near as good in the physics department as LFS but it can be alright.

Like James said, only a handful of mods make it really good, and theres quite a lot of mods out there. Try lots out but be warned, a lot of them are utter shite.

I'd say buy it if you fancy something different. Just don't expect it to be the bestest thing you've spent £24 on.
I'd recommend trying the rFactor demo. I played that demo and the LFS demo for about 3 to 4 solid months and then I played the LFS demo for quite some time after which finally led me to my decision...

From my experience in that demo the graphics were nice, graphical damage wasn't bad at all, actually pretty good. Although overall I didn't like it as much as I like LFS... You can't pop tires and thats after heating them to ridiculous amounts... Play the demo and make the decision
I was one of the fools that payed for the full game, it is no better than anything simbin push out. At the moment I am playing GTL, having a blast on that, you know the physics are shit and the graphics are out of date, but its fun and you can still find more people online than you can in Rfactor.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I was one of the fools that payed for the full game, it is no better than anything simbin push out. At the moment I am playing GTL, having a blast on that, you know the physics are shit and the graphics are out of date, but its fun and you can still find more people online than you can in Rfactor.

I dunno, GTL's graphics aren't that bad considering it's a few years old. Sure it's no DX10 fancy stuff, but it's still acceptable.

I should fire it up again soon, not played it in a while. Mini Cooper and Lotus Cortina, good times.

As for going online with Rfactor, it's a bit of a joke. You need so many mods and tracks, and then get the updated version of those mods and tracks to even get a whiff of the action.

I rarely play Rfactor either, but I still like some of the mods for it. Makes it a bit interesting.
rFactor = blasting around offline, hotlapping and trying 50 different mods in a night, then shelving it for 4 months.

LFS = racing all the good goddamn time.
So rfactor doesn't have online racing?
#10 - mr_x
I would recommend you rfactor yes.

Main reason being... overall it's a better sim than LFS.

I'm having much more fun playing games like rFactor and RACE07 than I ever have playing LFS. Simple answer to a simple question.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :So rfactor doesn't have online racing?

It does but goodluck finding a server to race on, much less a server thats running anywhere near the car/track you want. Not much different than GTR I would save your pennies for how much RF costs it's not worth it unless you really enjoyed GTR.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :rFactor = blasting around offline, hotlapping and trying 50 different mods in a night, then shelving it for 4 months.

Good "review"! At least in my case it was exactly like that.
#13 - mr_x
Best way to play rFactor is within a community like I do, find a community, sign up, they have organised race nights on the best mods going out there, everybody has the same version, joins the private server and has a blast.

Idiot and lag free racing, unlike LFS where 1 tiny hit can send your car into space.
All in all you cant say RFactor is better or GTR is or LFS is, its all about the taste, so if you like realistic cars, huge modding load and lots of tracks rfactor is fine
I might try RFactor soon (if beefyman666 doesn't mind ^^) and then I might be able to tell you.
I say yes.

Recently LFS has been quite repetitive/monotonous and while it IS good for going to go race online and get a lot of fun races done in one night, I personally don't think it is improving with regards to it's aging ability. In other words, it is same old stuff every night, and while you may find it fun once in a while, it is good to take a break and try some other sims.

rFactor has quite a good atmosphere for modability and options. Things get VERY rough online and completing a race takes a long time with the session system (practice 1, qualifying, warmup, then race). There aren't lots of competitive drivers out there in rFactor, because they all do leagues, but I think you'll find it is alright for a start.

To me, rFactor is something I feel like playing in my off-time, to try some mod, some car, or a fancy track.... all usually offline. If I play online the choices of games to join are very low because there will be about 75% of servers that are using mods you don't have, or have no desire to play in (eg some redneck dirt oval mod, or some special mod you've never heard of). The usual choice of a server is with the Renault Megane, Porsche Supercup 2007, and maybe the F3 Euroseries mod. Even then, your choices are slim with those mods, only about 3-5 servers that will be worth joining.

Overall? You'll find some difficulties with the game here and there, but I bought it to try something new, and to have options when I don't feel like playing LFS. It's nice to have, and always nice to play around with.

If LFS could get the ball rolling on making substantial changes to the game, maybe then I wouldn't be talking about rFactor period. Because the current build of S2 still feels 3 years old to me. Get rFactor, and you'll wonder why a lot of things aren't made in LFS like they are in rFactor.
Quote from blackbird04217 :I'd recommend trying the rFactor demo.

I'd recommend steering well clear of the demo - it's terrible compared to the full game.

Quote from Tweaker :...

Agreed.
Quote from mr_x :I would recommend you rfactor yes.

Main reason being... overall it's a better sim than LFS.

I'm having much more fun playing games like rFactor and RACE07 than I ever have playing LFS. Simple answer to a simple question.

I'm just curious about your terminology... would you say "overall it's a better sim than LFS" or rather "overall it's a better racing game than LFS"? Mind you I don't play online much, but it's not hard to be a better, more immediately fun racing game than LFS--e.g. Generally destroys LFS in this aspect, though it's not nearly as fulfilling when I'm in "sim" mood.

I really ought to try GTR2 again and maybe rFactor as well, now that I have a G25. Unfortunately I'm short on time with all the schoolwork
I played rFactor for about a year. It is highly recommended.

Some say it is a crap sim, but I disagree. There are some things it models differently to LFS, but not necessarily worse than LFS.

rFactor is a better sim than most "sim" games out there. The only thing that stood out is that oversteer behaviour is a little more difficult to control than real life, making drifting extremely difficult. LFS simulates that better than rFactor. On the other hand, I think rFactor simulates aerodynamics and physical damage better than LFS: bumping or crashing into things really effects you, unlike in LFS where you can happily keep driving, and rFactor's open-wheel cars don't suffer from excessive drag like they do in LFS.

The mods are also very good. If you go to www.rfactorcentral.com you can find many high-quality mods, some of them developed with or by people who race in the series or track (eg. F3 Euro mod, Renault Megane Trophy mod, VW Lupo mod). But like others said, if you go online there will be a lot of servers running lesser mods.
#20 - mr_x
Quote from Ahriman4891 :I'm just curious about your terminology... would you say "overall it's a better sim than LFS" or rather "overall it's a better racing game than LFS"? Mind you I don't play online much, but it's not hard to be a better, more immediately fun racing game than LFS--e.g. Generally destroys LFS in this aspect, though it's not nearly as fulfilling when I'm in "sim" mood.

I really ought to try GTR2 again and maybe rFactor as well, now that I have a G25. Unfortunately I'm short on time with all the schoolwork

I would say it's a better sim than LFS.

Get mods like the Porsche Carerra Cup, Lupo's, BMW E21, Megane Trophy... along with more of them, they feel much more convincing than LFS does. Plus real cars and tracks... something that LFS NEEDS.*

*I couldn't care less if I get flamed here, fanboyism IS on this forum no matter how much you all deny it is, I appreciate both sims as they are with no priorities between either, but if I had to choose one, then I'd choose rFactor over LFS.
#21 - JJ72
Quote from mr_x :I would say it's a better sim than LFS.

Get mods like the Porsche Carerra Cup, Lupo's, BMW E21, Megane Trophy... along with more of them, they feel much more convincing than LFS does. Plus real cars and tracks... something that LFS NEEDS.*

Agreed with the Lupos, Carrerra cup (07 french version) and Megane to some extent. But the E21 is just nowhere near the top rank in realism department.
I concur - the 320e21 mod is just plain weird but good fun for an arcade-like blast around a track like Lienz. I think the only thing that really appeals to me from that one is the cockpit (only an rpm gauge and that's it) and that it has some of the smoothest engine sound transitions for rfactor mods.

The big plus of the french porsche carrera mod, imo, is that the ffb is tight (same goes for a couple of cars in the caterham mod and the corvette) - there's no "deadzone" to be found like in many other mods. However the engine sounds are rather bland/dead and reliance on the shift light indication is unavoidable. Also the default setup is pants and you'll get massive steering rack oscillations at high speeds (probably because of the 12 degree caster angle) if you don't dial in some toe out to the front wheels and the brake balance is rather silly for a RWD.
No,I tryed rTractor once and it wasn't as fun as LFS.Stick to S2.
Do not buy it! Save your money to something else
I can't tell you if you should or should not buy rfactor, nobody can, I guess. It's all about personal preference. And personally, I enjoy a couple of laps in rfactor every once in a while and feel the money spent has been worth it. I just like racing on tracks that exist in reality and I can drive on in real Life, like Nordschleife or Spa for example. Also, when using the realfeel plugin or at least leo's ffb-plugin, rfactor does feel quite good with the right mods. Namely Niels' C6 and several others to a certain extent. I usually don't race online, though. LFS is much better for me in that respect (although I seldomly race online in LFS either nowadays, tbh).

(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG