The online racing simulator
Quote from hyntty :Normally I've just got an inferno setup, used my über-four-setting-setup skills, and surprizingly all has gone well.

Sounds like me
Quote from hyntty :I can't remember when someone's got an No-I'm-not-gonna-share-my-set-'coz-I'm-a-selfish-bastard-answer to a set request.

Yeah maybe not exactly that answer...but I have seen MANY requests blanked...
I've also seen on these very forums people sharing setups "but it's not my real race setup" why?
Maybe sharing should be compulsory. I understand the desire to win but we are supposed to be a community and like has been said before, you might not like the setup but somthing in it might help your setups.
Quote from Marlbro :Yeah maybe not exactly that answer...but I have seen MANY requests blanked...
I've also seen on these very forums people sharing setups "but it's not my real race setup" why?
Maybe sharing should be compulsory. I understand the desire to win but we are supposed to be a community and like has been said before, you might not like the setup but somthing in it might help your setups.

To be honest, atleast in this league it really doesn't matter if you're using a good setup. A good setup won't help you become a better driver, which is the real goal of the LFSBC. You can only become a better driver through practice.

In round 5, I qualified 9th out of 18 with an hour of practice on race day using the default race_s FOX setup. If I had practiced a full week on the default setup I would guess I might be able to drop my time a full second or so. That would have put me near the top in qualifying times...

The people usually asking for sets are those who show up right before the race is about to start with no practice! The right setup isn't magically going to allow them to run with the leaders....
Quote from Technique :The right setup isn't magically going to allow them to run with the leaders....

Before I bought a licence for LFS I ran quite a lot of laps on BL in the FBM.
I couldn't imagine how the racers on there were getting the times they did...even though I practiced a lot I was way off.
I asked a fellow demo racer for his setup and within 2 laps I had cut nearly 4 seconds off my lap time, it made that much difference.
It was this that helped me make the decision to buy the licence.
I thought I could now run with the big boys. It might make the difference of 2 seconds or 0.2 but it makes the driver think wow I CAN do this, it might be the difference between showing up for a race and not. There is nothing worse than struggling at the back with no clue how to fix it...I know.
Quote from Marlbro :
I asked a fellow demo racer for his setup and within 2 laps I had cut nearly 4 seconds off my lap time, it made that much difference.

Same here.

Another example would be the 750 WR setups I've just got. My first try with them was on Race 1 @ Fern Bay Gold Rev. I swear that WR setup is the best setup I've ever driven with. It suits me perfectly.

Back on topic:
  1. I'll think about the fixed setup races more.
  2. I'm proposing a mass pre-Season 2 msn conversation to discuss things like this before we start Season 2
  3. Season 2 will probably be either before Xmas '08, or over Xmas '08 and into '09.
Quote from Marlbro :Before I bought a licence for LFS I ran quite a lot of laps on BL in the FBM.
I couldn't imagine how the racers on there were getting the times they did...even though I practiced a lot I was way off.
It was this that helped me make the decision to buy the licence.
I thought I could now run with the big boys. It might make the difference of 2 seconds or 0.2 but it makes the driver think wow I CAN do this, it might be the difference between showing up for a race and not. There is nothing worse than struggling at the back with no clue how to fix it...I know.

I think the big difference here is you were trying hard to get better. Some people just show up before the race and ask for sets! I don't mind sharing sets with people who are working hard for it. Still, with the exception of the last race, which I put alot of work into, I've been using default sets with little practice and have been running midpack?
Quote from Technique :I think the big difference here is you were trying hard to get better. Some people just show up before the race and ask for sets! I don't mind sharing sets with people who are working hard for it. Still, with the exception of the last race which I put alot of work into I've been using default sets with little practice and have been running midpack?

I have to say I'm guilty of piking other people's sets!

Round 1: Used my old trusty XFG setup - no idea where from
Round 2: Nicked someone's
Round 3: Um, can't remember (probable nicked)
Round 4: Used inferno Blackwood set
Round 5: Used Taylor's
Round 6: Would have used one that someone sent to me
Round 7: See above
Round 8: WR setup.
Quote from J@tko :I have to say I'm guilty of piking other people's sets!

Round 1: Used my old trusty XFG setup - no idea where from
Round 2: Nicked someone's
Round 3: Um, can't remember (probable nicked)
Round 4: Used inferno Blackwood set
Round 5: Used Taylor's
Round 6: Would have used one that someone sent to me
Round 7: See above
Round 8: WR setup.

R1: -
R2: Nicked from Evening Star
R3: Nicked from Hyntty
R4: -
R5: Nicked from Jack
R6: Nicked
R7: Default
R8: Probably nicked or home made
Quote from J@tko :I have to say I'm guilty of piking other people's sets!

Haha. Well I didn't mean I was against sharing sets... I just think it's more proper to ask for sets in a practice session or in the forums "before" the race is about to start.
Quote from Technique :Haha. Well I didn't mean I was against sharing sets... I just think it's more proper to ask for sets in a practice session or in the forums "before" the race is about to start.

+75 million.

Especially those who ask 'how much fuel for the race?'
  1. Do it beforehand
  2. It takes some very simple maths.
I really wouldn't like the job of fixing the problems with the first season, because to be honest I've had more fun in the free practice sessions chattin' shit and junk than in the few races I have attended, but that's not what you want for a championship...

If there was anything I would change it would be...
1. A later start time...but that is purely personal and wouldn't expect everybody to agree. At least I could race then.
2. Longer races. More chance to catch leaders or overtake.
3. Fixed Setups or setup sharing...already discussed.
4. Less emphasis on SC laps and more on racing.
5. Points for Free Practice attendance.
6. Less kneejerk reactions to problems... i.e. Changing the whole calendar because of one bad race...I was looking forward to Kyoto in the FBM
Quote from Marlbro :
1. A later start time...but that is purely personal and wouldn't expect everybody to agree. At least I could race then.

Day may change for season 2. We'll see when it is first.

Quote from Marlbro :2. Longer races. More chance to catch leaders or overtake.

Hmm, me thinks that it's about fine ATM. If the 'endurance' race is a success, then race length may be increased.

Quote from Marlbro :4. Less emphasis on SC laps and more on racing.

+1
Quote from Marlbro :5. Points for Free Practice attendance.

+1 (That'll get mistatea on the server ) Or some sort of reward.

Quote from Marlbro :6. Less kneejerk reactions to problems... i.e. Changing the whole calendar because of one bad race...I was looking forward to Kyoto in the FBM

Yeah - that was a kinda panic attack reaction to Round 2. We know what we're doing (kinda ) now, so these problems shouldn't occur in the future.
Quote from J@tko :+75 million.

Especially those who ask 'how much fuel for the race?'
  1. Do it beforehand
  2. It takes some very simple maths.

haha. well I'm guilty of the fuel bit because I stopped attempting to do simple math after I got my college degree i didn't think people cared about that!
+

For longer races. If you spin your race is pretty much finished. I would say we should have races of about 15 laps (give or take a few laps, depending on the combo)

Quote from Marlbro :

6. Less kneejerk reactions to problems... i.e. Changing the whole calendar because of one bad race...I was looking forward to Kyoto in the FBM

Seriously, you should be glad we made those changes. We made them so that there was less chance of the race being a total disaster (like race 2)
Quote from J@tko :Season 2 will probably be either before Xmas '08, or over Xmas '08 and into '09.

But... but... I WANT TO RACE!!! :weeping:

Why that long? I thought we'd just start again straight away, with a month long run up to the first race like we did in January.

And regarding setups - why not say instead that you have to make your own setup, rather than use a WR one or nick someone elses? Hard to enforce probably but worth a shot.
Quote from TomMK :But... but... I WANT TO RACE!!! :weeping:

Why that long? I thought we'd just start again straight away, with a month long run up to the first race like we did in January.

And regarding setups - why not say instead that you have to make your own setup, rather than use a WR one or nick someone elses? Hard to enforce probably but worth a shot.

Think about the other New Dimension Racing Events:

Easter - The Kyoto 250
Early Summer - The Kyoto 500
Autumn ish Time - Ickle Endurance Evenings
Christmas Time - LFSBC Season 2

Remember that these things don't just happen. They need organisation, which takes time. We can't do it straight away because we have the Kyoto 250 and 500 to sort out, as well as lives to live
Of course, I'm not underestimating that at all. Was tongue in cheek

I do think the lfsbc should capitalise on it's momentum, use a few weeks off to sort out the first series issues, and get going again. LFS needs a decent rookie league.
Quote from TomMK :Of course, I'm not underestimating that at all. Was tongue in cheek

I do think the lfsbc should capitalise on it's momentum, use a few weeks off to sort out the first series issues, and get going again. LFS needs a decent rookie league.

I would much rather we plan this years LFSBC better, rather than rush into it.
Quote from J@tko :
  1. I'll think about the fixed setup races more.

Don't! Remember R2? Surely you understand, that I can drive with your setup as badly as you drive mine. Yes, it is a beginners cup, but beginners have driving styles too.

PS. About sharing setups. I've got 964 different ones, (since TG44 decided to send me his inferno-patchx-to-patchy collection.) I haven't bothered to search for the right one and post it in the forum. It's just easier to share my current set at FP. Which I can't always do right away (and probably forget by when I atually got time), 'coz I like to drive too at practise sessions... So if you don't get a reply for a request, ask again in a while. Someone is bound to say something.
How about staging the events in such a way that allows demo racers to participate in say, the first 2 events? Round 1 this series was Demo-friendly, how about round 2 on blackwood reverse in the FBMs? It might encourage some demo-ers to race for 2 rounds and then buy S2. The safety car would have to be the XRG in both cases.
-
(JO53PHS) DELETED by JO53PHS
Quote from TomMK :How about staging the events in such a way that allows demo racers to participate in say, the first 2 events? Round 1 this series was Demo-friendly, how about round 2 on blackwood reverse in the FBMs? It might encourage some demo-ers to race for 2 rounds and then buy S2. The safety car would have to be the XRG in both cases.

Err..BL Reverse isn't in the demo any more, AFAIK

DK
I'd like more clarification on times and dates.

That is, time in both 24h and that am/pm thing (I keep wondering "is it morning or evening" every time)

Then there should always be GMT time (or UTC if you prefer). I had to actually look "BST" up on Wikipedia to find out that it's British bla bla bla when it actually is just GMT+1h

Not that I have a huge problem with that but why complicate things?
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :And i'd like the server to be set the correct combo for the race day. The final Free Practice right now before the race, & it's the wrong combo

Its on the right combo now
  • A forgnight will give more time for noobs to practice
  • I agree with you on this - some of the races were over before they had begun, what with SC periods and so on.
  • We will definitely have less SCs
  • Hmmm...
  • Yes
  • I have been trying to keep it tidy but now Jack thinks I'm a forum cleanup whore

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG