The online racing simulator
Engine damage indicator
(66 posts, started )
Engine damage indicator
With Y patch in endurance race is engine damage very important.
Some indicator like CT will be very useful.
Just like in real lif... oh wait, they do it by feel, sound and performance, just like you can.

-1 for pointless unrealistic arcadey assists
The clutch temp gauge should be removed too, btw. As should the other damage indicators. And tyre temp display (you could argue about making it less detailed or only visible from the pits, though).
Quote from tristancliffe :Just like in real lif... oh wait, they do it by feel, sound and performance, just like you can.

-1 for pointless unrealistic arcadey assists

just like CT, car damage and tyre indicator and map...
dont like dont see
and arcade assists are brake help and custom view not some indicator
Remove CT indicator
Remove car damage indicator
Remove tyre indicator
Remove map

Are you trying to tell me that the above things don't assist you in some way? Do they sit there and neither help nor hinder you, never telling you anything useful? I think you'll find they are assisting you, and are therefore assists or an arcade (unrealistic) nature.
In real life every driver is alone-no mechanics no support no radio
NOTHING ONLY DRIVER AND EMPTY UNIVERSE
No indeed. But over 99% of all drivers in the world will not have anything other than a few engine temp displays in the car, don't have radios, and don't even have pitboards!

Damage - felt/heard
Tyre temps - felt, and measured in the pitlane
Clutch temp - felt (when it's too late usually)
Map - memorised weeks if not months in advance

You can use capitals all you like, but it doesn't mean LFS should cater for those better off skidding in NFS.
Maybe it would be good if tire temperatures would be shown only when you are doing a pitstop then?

As for the damage well sometimes its pretty hard to feel or hear it in LFS. In fact you dont hear it at all.

And what do ''skidders'' have to do with any of this?
Of course you hear it - when the body drags on the ground it makes a noise. Oddly enough in real life, you don't hear the bodywork damage until it rubs on the ground. As for suspension damage you feel it when you try and drive. And engine damage is heard and felt both in LFS and reality.

Skidders in NFS are those that should be asking for more overlays. Not simulation drivers.
I agree but the damage isnt heard until its very severe. Sometimes not even felt but I guess that happens in life too.
As for engin damage I think its harder to hear it in LFS then in real life unless you go from 5th gear and drop to 1st in LFS. Then its heard well enough. I dont have much experience with cars in real life (cant drive yet =_=) so I wont argue with this but I think that if in real life you cannot know the tire temperatures unless you are in the pits then it should be like this.

Btw, one thing that should be implemented would be engin heat maybe?
Yes, water and oil temperatures would be great.

But why should we be able to know our tyre temps/pressures on the track (except perhaps in the Sauber)? Why not be more real, and create more challenge (and less 'perfect but silly' setups) by having live temps in pit garage, but not elsewhere (and now allowing people to shift-p to the garage to get accurate figures by adding a time delay to their appearance when insta-pitting.
Or wipe the tyre temps when you Shift-P, you can only see them if you drive into the garage.

I would like a bit more feel from the FFB before we dump the live tyre temps. Even better add visual indications for wear and blistering (I primarily drive open wheelers)
#13 - Woz
This harks back to hardcore mode again where people should be forced into Shift F mode during a race IMHO.

As a server option like the No reset option.
Problem with that is that Shift F disables rcm messages therefore you wont see messages sent by the race admins such as the flags.

If that can be changed then I guess it would be good to have that. Im sure many leagues would start using it.
well thats good. in real life you actually see the flags. If we're being realism nazis, there would be no communication with other drivers. ever.
Quote from flymike91 :well thats good. in real life you actually see the flags. If we're being realism nazis, there would be no communication with other drivers. ever.

Agreed but in real life you actually see the flags, things that you cant see in LFS when racing for example.

*Edit* This has just turned into a general improvement suggestion thread heh, not on topic anymore :P but I wouldnt care whether or not engin damage indicators were implemented. It would be less realistic however.
How about this. In hotlap mode, you can see the temps - that way at least giving people the ability to watch the tires and adjust their setups accordingly, but in any other racing mode, you don't see the temps. I can tell when my tires are overheating without the temp guages - from both the smoke and the loss of traction.
In real life, real race driver can get information about engine, clutch, transmisions, tires by radio from team, team engineers. In LFS you are alone behind computer and u can preset these informations at screen.

If u want simulation as u write u have to think about sumulation of all team members and crew at the pit wall. And if u ask for information thru radio team have to answer.... GOOD LUCK with creating this system, u will need it!!!!
No, in real life driver can't get information over a radio because most don't have radios. And even the ones that do don't have live telemetry about clutch, engine, transmission or tyres, so they couldn't be told anything over it anyway. Don't confuse one or two money mad racing series with REAL racing which is at the club level.
Engine's condition can be monitored by water temperature meter, oil temperature meter and oil pressure meter. I would prefer those three meters over some kind of engine damage -meter.
Damage - felt/heard - No system gauges irl which report it

Tyre temps - felt, and measured in the pitlane - Hej! these things are not expensive irl, so i think it is not urealistic to have it

Clutch temp - felt (when it's too late usually) Clutch on some cars are made of paper in lfs. But anyway irl getting a tempature reading is possible, but irl not very usefull. Its fine to have it in lfs i think.

Map - memorised weeks if not months in advance - GPS systems? I agree irl no driver ever had such a system to see graphicly how much the competion is ahead or behind. For now it is more a safety system to check for upcoming traffic after a spin or when exiting pits.

ontopic:
engine damage indicator: thats ok: Just as in irl a light that goes on if anything is not within specified parameters. But not more than that.

One other thing, engine is more likely to blow-up/destroyed when over revved. Slow powerloss due overrevving is less likely on racing-engines.
#22 - DeMS
I would rather prefer it to be as following :

On-line races :
Indicators enabled/disabled via server configuration

Off-line races :
Indicators enabled/disabled by user EXCEPT on hot lap mode, where all should be turned off

This way, people would choose the server that fits their skill level the most, and would solve some other trouble as well.

Rather than an indicator of engine damage, I would prefer to see some smoke when the radiator is blown or some analogue effect that would tell me that the thing ain't going fine.

To complete it all, it would be a nice touch if after the race, you would get a report of what has failed or what degree of damage did every/most/most important parts of the car get, to improve people's driving.
#23 - Woz
Quote from DeMS :I would rather prefer it to be as following :

On-line races :
Indicators enabled/disabled via server configuration

Off-line races :
Indicators enabled/disabled by user EXCEPT on hot lap mode, where all should be turned off

This way, people would choose the server that fits their skill level the most, and would solve some other trouble as well.

Rather than an indicator of engine damage, I would prefer to see some smoke when the radiator is blown or some analogue effect that would tell me that the thing ain't going fine.

To complete it all, it would be a nice touch if after the race, you would get a report of what has failed or what degree of damage did every/most/most important parts of the car get, to improve people's driving.

You can hear engine damage, why have a guage that is improssible to have IRL.

Use your ears
Quote from DeMS :To complete it all, it would be a nice touch if after the race, you would get a report of what has failed or what degree of damage did every/most/most important parts of the car get, to improve people's driving.

When engine damage is included in LFS this is the way I would want it shown.

About the tyre temps in on-line racing. To know the temperature and pressure of the air inside the tyre, while on the move, is cheap and easy. To get a general temp of the tyre surface is quite cheap and easy. To get detailed temperature information about specific areas of the tyre is expensive but quite easy.
IMO (which might just be crap) the GTR cars and the faster SS cars should have the fully detailed temp readings. The road cars can do fine without.
Off-line or practising I would like to have all the data because it helps setting the car up.
I like the idea about seeing the temps only while pitting.

@tristan
Is radio communication and telemetry really that rare in racing?
I'm actually quite shocked by this.
Quote from March Hare :To get detailed temperature information about specific areas of the tyre is expensive but quite easy.

Not completely correct, getting the amount of detail LFS gives us would be a very tricky task, considering how in RL you'd only be able to measure surface temp, whereas LFS also gives us info about the rubber core temp.

Engine damage indicator
(66 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG