The online racing simulator
Youtube no longer entirely shite?
(114 posts, started )
Quote from RossUK :Just to chip in, technical details aside, on my 19" monitor it looks as good as I could hope from a video streaming website. It loads fast enough, and I would be happy to watch a movie that quality. If I want high quality I'll buy a DVD or Blueray, but that YouTube link I posted is such an improvement over old videos I don't see how I could complain

I'm not asking for bigger files, just better quality -> same bitrate -> lower resolution -> more details -> no blocks.
Quote from J.B. :Most content would look mich nicer at the same bitrate with a resolution of 576p or 576i.

I actually disagree with that. The x264 compression algorithm uses 16x16 pixel blocks, like many other forms of video compression. Therefore, there are more 16x16 squares in compressed 720p then there is in 576p. 720p is 3600 16x16 squares, whereas 576p has only 1620 16x16 squares. That's almost half the squares of 720p. So, when you scale the 720p down to 576p after decompressing it, it is like you have 8x8 squares instead of 16x16 squares. Even fullscreen, the quality will be better then 576p, because you won't notice the blocks from the compression as much because they won't be as large.

Quote from J.B. :I'm not asking for bigger files, just better quality -> same bitrate -> lower resolution -> more details -> no blocks.

But it's better to oversample slightly because it gets rid of the blocks.

EDIT: And again, this is variable bitrate. Not all of these "HD" youtube videos are going to look the same. Look at this video (it's a stupid animated cartoon of some sort, but it's the best example I could find on youtube):
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wUPcimeiqLE&fmt=22
Who else have this problem ? :irked:
Reinstall Google Gears did not fix this for me [for some may be enough]
Attached images
0 % Cross-origin worker has invalid content-type header..PNG
Now Facebook does it better about encoding quality:

Video
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 1mn 40s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 2 500 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 4 553 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 24.000 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.113
Stream size : 29.9 MiB (94%)
Writing library : x264 core 65 r1019 a5ac6a5
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=16 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / keyint=120 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=2500 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Encoded date : UTC 2008-12-02 22:16:34
Tagged date : UTC 2008-12-02 22:16:34

They use High profile, 2500 Kbps bitrate, CABAC, a good SubME, PsyRDO and 8x8DCT.

Sample:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=561481753914
That's more like it. See how much better it looks even though the bitrate isn't much higher than youtube "HD".
Quote from J.B. :That's more like it. See how much better it looks even though the bitrate isn't much higher than youtube "HD".

25% more bitrate than Youtube, that's not negligible especially at such low bitrates for this resolution.
But yep, I guess the deeper analysis and processing options are also making the difference.

Quote from Fastwalker :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p6gxnAaaxY

tried to test the HD thing
original file was 1280*720 with wmv9 codec

youtube still messes up the quality :s

It looks better with the &fmt=22 tag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p6gxnAaaxY&fmt=22

But yes, it still a bit blocky.
WMV9 is not a good idea though for a video master, except if it's WVC1.
WMV9 can be either WMV3 or WMVA or WVC1 but the first two ones are buggy and also may cause problems when transcoding to another format.
Keep in mind that Youtube will always recode your video even though the one you send them is within the specs they are using.
Dear b1l9a8s9,

Video Disabled
A copyright owner has claimed it owns some or all of the audio content in your video Introduction Flight. The audio content identified in your video is Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers. We regret to inform you that your video has been blocked from playback due to a music rights issue.

>:/
Note that the hi-def youtube videos play in a cropped 853.333 x 480 mode (852x479), until you click on the full screen icon box in the lower right corner of the window. Then you'll see a full screen 1280x720p video. Then press escape or the lower right icon box with an x in it to return to desktop.

An example video of my radio control glider at a slope site (note the source was Sony HC1 camcorder video converted into a WMV9 video by Adobe Premiere Pro CS3):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUVRUMc7DP8&fmt=22

The download rate depends on the time of day, it's slowest during USA evening hours, around GMT +2:00 to GMT +6:00.

For games I want to upload in hi-def, I record the older ones that only recognize 4:3 format, in 1280x960 and crop them. For newer games that are widescreen aware, I record them in 1280x720. On my CRT monitor, the picture will be squished during game play (I could adjust the vertical size on the display, but I don't bother), but the video will end up fine.
i dissagree with the thread title, i have just recievd an e-mail:

Dear jcbiddulph,
Video Disabled
A copyright owner has claimed it owns some or all of the audio content in your video LFS Car Crashes. The audio content identified in your video is Holiday/Boulevard Of Broken Dreams by Green Day. We regret to inform you that your video has been blocked from playback due to a music rights issue.
Normally you can use them with just a 'contains contend from' whatever.

They took one of mine down as well. It's not like if we pay for the track, when we bought it from I-Tunes or the album or something, we can't use it for a 45 second sound clip on our video?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :It's not like if we pay for the track, when we bought it from I-Tunes or the album or something, we can't use it for a 45 second sound clip on our video?

Perhaps you should look up the workings and enforcement of current copyright law? Don't like it? Talk to your local MP.
I think they only protect the copyrights of those whom they do business with. They do business with many record companies (that's how music videos get on youtube sometimes), so they protect those companies copyrights. Besides that, they don't care, but if they are asked to take something down, or find out about it, they will because they don't want to be sued.
well how about u put the artist and song title in credits? or something?

Youtube no longer entirely shite?
(114 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG