The online racing simulator
Pushing a car button
(18 posts, started )
#1 - Chaos
Pushing a car button
If you get into a sandtrap with most of the cars with slicks, you are stuck and your race is over... IRL in short races too, but in endurance racing the track marshalls can push your car from the gravel and you can contine. Or with the MRT5, you end up facing a wall and finito... IRL you get out, push your cart 1m backwards and off you go...

That's why I think it would be good to have a "push" button in LFS... Let it be delayed say 15sec before it starts working (marshalls running to your car, you getting out of the MRT5), but then your car would start moving 1 km/h in desired direction regardless of surface, but limited by an angle (so you could not be pushed up a wall on FernBay )...

Basic idea by Bigman!
I like the idea but i dont think it's going to happend

+ it's allmost same as the repair button.
You stuck and u just push the button and you on the track again
#3 - Kdovi
+1 (should I say more? :P)
I really miss it in every game I ever played.

Quote from aroX123 :
You stuck and u just push the button and you on the track again

Yes, but it would take ages.
hmm thats why some servers have the "cannot reset" option
#5 - Woz
This has come up before. The no car reset was added to improve racing and it has because there is risk associated with an off..

If this were to ever happen you should have to wait the 2+ minutes for the lifting crane and crew to get into position and lift you out of the kitty litter and put you in a safe place to restart from. You don't just push a car out of a sand trap once stuck.

It should NOT be instant. If you off its a mistake that should cost you just like IRL.

No reset was one of the better things to happen to LFS IMHO. It stopped the wrecker morons and took away their fun.
What if "reset car" -button has, say, 30 seconds counter (It takes 30 seconds after you have pressed the button to reset the car). Same thing, different package.
#7 - ajp71
The gravel traps currently do not stop cars nearly as well as they should do, especially the fact you can just pull away in them with the majority of cars. If we're going to see a reset feature for endurance racing I'd rather it reset to the pitlane (with existing damage/car state) and had a multiple lap penalty.
#8 - Woz
Quote from Gekkibi :What if "reset car" -button has, say, 30 seconds counter (It takes 30 seconds after you have pressed the button to reset the car). Same thing, different package.

Far far too short a time penalty.

Also, if you are on your roof/side your race should be over.

If you off IRL it eats a huge amount of time if marshals and lifting kit are needed. This is what makes an off costly.

2+ minutes is fair and for me I would prefer 5+. IRL its probably far more.

Anyone asking for less is just looking for a crutch to allow them to continue when they make a mistake. Mistakes are part of racing and people need to learn to live with them.
#9 - samjh
If laps completed < 3, then restart at first lap from the pits AND wait for full repairs.
If laps completed >= 3, then subtract 3 laps from laps completed AND restart from pits AND wait for full repairs.

If you can get out of the trap by yourself, then do so.
#10 - Woz
Quote from samjh :If laps completed < 3, then restart at first lap from the pits AND wait for full repairs.
If laps completed >= 3, then subtract 3 laps from laps completed AND restart from pits AND wait for full repairs.

If you can get out of the trap by yourself, then do so.

I would prefer no jump to pits. People can then use this to get a mashed car repaired. The lift should put you in a safe spot to rejoin the race near where you got stuck.

It should then be up to the person to limp back to the pits if they need a repair.

Also. If requested and you are on your side/roof you should get forced into spectate and your race is over.

Anything else allows a person that wrecked their car to continue a race they would otherwise not be able to.

All that said. The current no reset, race over when stuck is fine. The quality of driving jumped a huge amount after this.
Quote from Woz :Far far too short a time penalty.

Also, if you are on your roof/side your race should be over.

If you off IRL it eats a huge amount of time if marshals and lifting kit are needed. This is what makes an off costly.

2+ minutes is fair and for me I would prefer 5+. IRL its probably far more.

Anyone asking for less is just looking for a crutch to allow them to continue when they make a mistake. Mistakes are part of racing and people need to learn to live with them.

I don't see this being implemented but, for the most part, Online racing is pretty different than a race weekend. 10-20 Minutes is a pretty long race online. Most people don't want to commit 1-24 Hours to a single race. in a two hour race 5 minutes for a recovery is significant but the driver would still opt to recover and get back in the race -- it's about 4% of the race. A 5 minute recovery in a 10 Minute race? Why bother. The delay would need to be scaled or it will never be of any use except for the guys who really do run 1+ hour races.
... That's about 25-30 Seconds for a 10 Minute race.
-1, but I would like to have a reset button for those cases. But it would be like when you push the buttons, it takes 2 minutes before it happens. Or, you would get a 2 minute penaltie.
#13 - Woz
Quote from GobLox :I don't see this being implemented but, for the most part, Online racing is pretty different than a race weekend. 10-20 Minutes is a pretty long race online. Most people don't want to commit 1-24 Hours to a single race. in a two hour race 5 minutes for a recovery is significant but the driver would still opt to recover and get back in the race -- it's about 4% of the race. A 5 minute recovery in a 10 Minute race? Why bother. The delay would need to be scaled or it will never be of any use except for the guys who really do run 1+ hour races.
... That's about 25-30 Seconds for a 10 Minute race.

Should not be scaled. Should be pointless in a pickup race. Just because the race is shorter does not mean the crane works faster

Quote from The Very End :-1, but I would like to have a reset button for those cases. But it would be like when you push the buttons, it takes 2 minutes before it happens. Or, you would get a 2 minute penaltie.

Thats why put forward the idea I did. Useful in long enduro races but for pickup races you would loose to much. As it should be.

but yep BIG -1 if anything like the old reset. Was great when that went
#14 - JJ72
I think this is a good idea.

make it a button mashing minigame and arrows will show up on the screen, if you steer in the right direction at the right time it will help break out of the gravel and make you go a little bit faster.
#15 - DeMS
I don't like the idea as of now.

However, if gravel pits are to be more effective, just like their real counterparts, it would be useful to have a 'push' button to take you out of it and into the grass (or road if the gravel ends off right on the edge of it).

However, there should be a system so, whenever you have been helped, you could not get into the road if there was incoming traffic (your mistake, so you should only get into the track once it is empty)
In the IGTC, for example, we have a push car that comes out to assist cars that are out of fuel or stuck in the gravel. These cars then return to the pit lane and are held there for 5 minutes before being released back onto the track. Not the most elegant way to handle it, but it works for us. Would certainly be nice if it were automated.
The AI seem to be quite capable of pushing other cars. Let's enslave them

Pushing a car button
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG