The online racing simulator
Dual Monitors
(15 posts, started )
Dual Monitors
I have seen a couple people on here playing the game on 2 monitors allowing for a wider Field of View and i wanted to know how they did it...when i try the 2nd monitor freaks out...BTW I have a nvidia 6600gt agp vid card
Quote from Dilligaf :I have seen a couple people on here playing the game on 2 monitors allowing for a wider Field of View and i wanted to know how they did it...when i try the 2nd monitor freaks out...BTW I have a nvidia 6600gt agp vid card

You need to set nView Display Settings to Horizontal Span, so that your desktop stretches over both monitors. Then in LFS Screen Options set 'Show Non-Square Modes' to Yes and you should see the dual-width resolutions available.

Any good?
i used to be able to do that on my gf4 but now with ati9700 i only get HW acceleration on one screen... am i doing something wrong?
With the latest drivers and the control centre you can span propertly. Problem is, the control center is so crappy that nothing else will work like it should. But spanning does.
If you download the drivers with the control panel, then you don't get proper spanning. Way to go, ATI.... illepall
yeah it works now, at least with racer it does. gotta get lfs back on my drive.
Attached images
racer_widescreen.jpg
Quote from atledreier :With the latest drivers and the control centre you can span propertly. Problem is, the control center is so crappy that nothing else will work like it should. But spanning does.
If you download the drivers with the control panel, then you don't get proper spanning. Way to go, ATI.... illepall

Yeah... it's a dang shame that the catalyst control center is the only way to enable spanning with the majority of their cards.
How do people race like that? do you have your view centred? wouldn't that be strange??
I was just wandering that with 2 monitors the middle of the view is obsturcted by the space between monitors. So how about 3 monitors? Is it possible to do this in LFS? With Matrox Parhelia it probably is possible, but how about an AGp card that supports 2 monitors and an additional PCI card with the third monitor?

3 Monitors would be just perfect, the center monitor would be the main driving screen and by looking to the sides you could actually see to your sides, just like in real life.
LFS needs the three monitors to act as one to be able to use them. That is not possible with the screens hooked to different cards, as fas as I know. If it is, please let me know, I'd set it up asap. One possibility is to use custom view and set it so that your central screen has got the main view, and your secondary monitor get one side. Would be like driving with your side window painted over, though.
Is there any possible way to simulate this effect using a video splitter?
no, not unless there exists a splitter that takes a resolution a chops it in half to two monitors.

most splitters simply duplicate the image from one input to multiple outputs, so it would do you no good.
Hi guys,
Anyone can tell me what i must do after that i've set Horizontal Span??
Where i must set option in LFS?
Sorry my english but i'm italian!
Thx for the answers
To follow up on this question: I have a 22" widescreen that does 1680 x 1050. If I buy a 17" 4:3 (roughly the same height as a 22" wide) that supports 1280 x 1024, I could reduce the resolution of the widescreen to ~1600 x 1024 and Windows XP would could see my monitors as one 1880 x 1024? Which would then allow LFS to span them as well?

I know going to a non-native resolution on the widescreen will lose some quality, but it probably wouldn't bother me in LFS.
Wow! An old thread, but I guess this is still kind of relevant. Funny seeing my old post there and how things have changed since that.

Quote from Minimale :Hi guys,
Anyone can tell me what i must do after that i've set Horizontal Span??
Where i must set option in LFS?
Sorry my english but i'm italian!
Thx for the answers

Go in to Options - Screen and choose the the new resolution.

Quote from Danke :To follow up on this question: I have a 22" widescreen that does 1680 x 1050. If I buy a 17" 4:3 (roughly the same height as a 22" wide) that supports 1280 x 1024, I could reduce the resolution of the widescreen to ~1600 x 1024 and Windows XP would could see my monitors as one 1880 x 1024? Which would then allow LFS to span them as well?

Horizontal span requires both monitors to use the same resolution. Also 19" 5:4 is closer to the height of 22" wide than 17".
Keep an eye to the Z18 (and up) test patch development, as there are rather good improvements on the multi-monitor systems management.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=62209

Dual Monitors
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG