The online racing simulator
Racing Line
(33 posts, started )
Racing Line
As a relative noob I think some off these drivers must get off their high chairs!!!!

I get banned from a server because I get accused of not getting off the racing line during a CHICANE under a blue flag and causing the driver to crash.

Firstly, there is normally only one line into, through and out of a chicane and secondly I have lost count of the number of times I have crashed or gone off trying to get out of the way of a lapping car by go off the line.

I can understand more stricter enforcement during league races and so on. But this cr@p on a normal open racing server Some people think that because they are lapping they can force the cars off the road in front of them. Grow up children!
When being lapped you should stick to the racing line. It is up to the faster drivers to get passed you. If they still argue about it, send them here and I'll sort them out
tristan is right, most leagues REQUIRE the car being lapped to stay in the racing line, and be predictable...and its the lapping car's job to move out and pass when appropriate..

You got banned from a junk server, don't sweat it.
#4 - Ian.H
I think one major problem with this situation is too many people thinking that a every race is a hotlapping session.

I may stay tighter on exit of a chicane to try and allow a little more room for a faster driver to exit, but apart from that, as Tristan says, it _should_ be down to the faster driver to work out a route and if you stick to a single path, it shouldn't be too difficult for them to achieve.

As they say, there's a "time and a place" and IMO, a chicane isn't often considered a place for overtaking (unless it's a clean dive down the inside on entry).

Regards,

Ian
Trust me as a seasoned backmarker you did nothing wrong. When I'm blue flagged I tend to take a corner tighter as Ian.H does, or I might nt full accelerate out of a corner allowing the guy to easil (and Safely) catch me and pass.

As long as I make it as safe as possible when being lapped I've done my job
Yea, I noticed this too. Its annoying when they expect you to give way IN a corner or on a straight, which is totally ridiculous. It clearly states in the rules, that its the passing drivers responsibility also.

I do not move off the racing line if a blue flag comes up. I just ease off on a safe place and let them pass. After that comes the famous message:"BLUE FLAG WTF GET OUT OF THE WAY½!"!("`=#%I!"
If there are two drivers who are competing and passing me, then I might move over, depends.
Quote from pine-fin : After that comes the famous message:"BLUE FLAG WTF GET OUT OF THE WAY½!"!("`=#%I!"

Being spammed by a blue flag spammer is a license to actively get in their way.

Sig_ZA, just carry on driving the way you are, ignore the morons who don't understand blue flags.
If you are being kicked from a server for driving correctly then that's not a place your going to miss.
#8 - J@tko
If someone's behind you on a long straight, especially with the faster cars, short shift. You go slower, but not so slow that you A) lose alot of time or B) are smashed into by the guy who is trying to get past.

If they're behind you coming into a corner, I sometimes miss my braking point deliberatly so they can pass me on the inside.
Quote from J@tko :If someone's behind you on a long straight, especially with the faster cars, short shift. You go slower, but not so slow that you A) lose alot of time or B) are smashed into by the guy who is trying to get past.

If they're behind you coming into a corner, I sometimes miss my braking point deliberatly so they can pass me on the inside.

Same here.

Its kinda annoyng that people keep spamming you with the "Get out of the way blue flag bla bla bla bullshit"

Hopefully they will read thisand think twice before spamming the message.
My technique is to do what I can to let the faster car go past without hurting either his or my own speed. If there's more than one lapping car, I'll move over and/or slow down. If I'm racing cars nearby, then that lapping driver is going to have to wait. The leaders aren't the only one's who might be racing for position.

Another thing I've started doing is adding a 'blue flag acknowledged' key. If they know that I know, things go smoother.
Thanks people!
I knew I was right.

It's a pity that some racers feel that they should ban/kick other racers just because they think they are right without even getting any input from the racer they want to kick.

I really try to accomodate the blue flag where possible, but it's not always easy trying to help they guy lapping you and to stay on the road.
yeah, dude, it doesn't feel good to be banned or kicked for something as pointless as that...
#13 - Woz
Quote from Sig_ZA :Thanks people!
I knew I was right.

It's a pity that some racers feel that they should ban/kick other racers just because they think they are right without even getting any input from the racer they want to kick.

I really try to accomodate the blue flag where possible, but it's not always easy trying to help they guy lapping you and to stay on the road.

The trouble is that many people do not understand race rules.

1) They assume every lap is a hotlap, as others have pointed out, so they get p'd off if they are slowed on a lap.

2) They also think you have to pull over when under blue flag, again wrong.

If you want good racing where people understand racing rules look for CTRA servers. Although avoid it for a while if you are not confident with your driving. That said the entry server is GT, GTI racing so is a good introduction
Yes I always try to respect the flag and maybe if I screwed it up sometimes it really was never my intention. But I really get pissed when I am driving in correct line and some speed psycho storms in from behind and smashes right in my ass and rolls me over. And then he is pissing off like respect the blue flag LOL.
Quote from Speeder75 :Yes I always try to respect the flag and maybe if I screwed it up sometimes it really was never my intention. But I really get pissed when I am driving in correct line and some speed psycho storms in from behind and smashes right in my ass and rolls me over. And then he is pissing off like respect the blue flag LOL.

i wondered if someone would bring this one up cause it one of my moans as well along with the late starters(2,3,9 laps into race) who ask to restart
i tend to drive safe as possible andproably say sry even when it werent my fault SO if you come across me some time heres to safe hard and fast racin
Quote from The Moose :Being spammed by a blue flag spammer is a license to actively get in their way.

Sig_ZA, just carry on driving the way you are, ignore the morons who don't understand blue flags.
If you are being kicked from a server for driving correctly then that's not a place your going to miss.

Actually, when I see a slower driver up ahead I say "Blue flag let me pass please :: Blue flag let me pass please" once or twice to prevent accidents. Also, when I'm faced with a blue flag I tend to get of the gas and go a bit more wide to let the faster driver pass, might not totally be according to the rules, but it's a nearly 100% guarantee that the faster driver can pass me without causing problems for one of us.

On the other hand, it might be because of the servers I drive on
Quote from eXSsnl :Actually, when I see a slower driver up ahead I say "Blue flag let me pass please :: Blue flag let me pass please" once or twice to prevent accidents.

The big BLUE FLAG message they get right across the screen is enough warning.

Having a 'Blue Flag' bind is considered spamming.

Feel free to use it but just don't expect anyone to take any notice of you
Quote from eXSsnl :Actually, when I see a slower driver up ahead I say "Blue flag let me pass please :: Blue flag let me pass please" once or twice to prevent accidents.

[ snip ]

And if you did that to me, I'd make damn sure I stayed in your way and cost you a position, if you were lucky enough for me not to take you out of the race entirely.

Regards,

Ian
Yup, same here. I block blue flag spammers.
Quote from eXSsnl :Actually, when I see a slower driver up ahead I say "Blue flag let me pass please :: Blue flag let me pass please" once or twice to prevent accidents. Also, when I'm faced with a blue flag I tend to get of the gas and go a bit more wide to let the faster driver pass, might not totally be according to the rules, but it's a nearly 100% guarantee that the faster driver can pass me without causing problems for one of us.

On the other hand, it might be because of the servers I drive on

I'll be sure to push to not let you past then. Maybe even push you closer to that barrier so you hit it.
You guys are lovely, I hope to race with you all once. I really do!
When I get spammed by the "blue flag let me pass..." I know I have entered wrong server...

...pass me what ever way you want... ill try my best to make it easy for you...
Quote from eXSsnl :You guys are lovely, I hope to race with you all once. I really do!

Indeed they are. They're all correct, whereas you are completely wrong.
Quote from eXSsnl :You guys are lovely, I hope to race with you all once. I really do!

I'm actually a very clean racer, IMO.. no one's ever complained when I've raced them anyway. Never been a pro, but when I worked as a kart mechanic back in my teens, I learnt all about race etiquette.. but by you blasting a 'blue flag' message, which I'd personally already be aware of your presence, I'd assume you'd be thinking I'm an idiot on the track, thus, you will pay the price for your wrong assumption. Give me a chance to assess my surroundings (which would be way before you were close enough to pass anyway) and there'd be no problem at all, and I'd give you all the room you needed.

It's called respect for fellow racers

Regards,

Ian
Quote from eXSsnl :..... once or twice to prevent accidents.

You do realise that spamming messages is more likely to cause accidents than prevent them don't you?

Anything that takes a drivers concentration away from the road is asking for trouble, and annoying messages popping up is one of the most distracting things possible.

This isn't about whether we are nice or not, it's about if we're right or not....and we are.

It is an official CTRA ruling that spamming 'Blue Flag' instantly invalidates your right to a clean pass.

Racing Line
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG