The online racing simulator
Popup message to remind you to set fuel if you don't have enough when joining a servr
Just had a thought when reading another thread Often when racing on public servers you might jump into a race and have neglected to set fuel or are unfamiliar with the fuel load required for that track (done it myself on a couple of occassions and have seen many others do it )

What about when you first connect to a server a message pops up IF the current fuel load isn't enough to finish the laps set?

The message could ask you if you want to change your fuel load and suggest a conservative fuel load setting like 20% more than needed.
Maybe with an option in the options screen to turn this feature on/off.
This could be calculated by detecting the settings for laps and car/track combo settings from the server on connection.

Having a feature like this would save alot of questions when people enter an unfamilar server and probably more than a few disapointed peeps who just wanted one quick race (before they attend to some RL obligations ) only to have a mid race out of fuel frustration because they were in too much of a rush or they just plain forgot

Most experienced guys probably wouldn't find it too useful as they would already be familiar with most conditions (which is why I suggested you could turn off the feature) but for people new to the game or the weekend driver who isn't familiar with all tracks it could make the experience slightly more enjoyable (it's only a small thing, but many small things can make a big difference)
But different driving styles have different fuel consuption so how is LFS goign to work out if you've got enough or not?
Just leave the tank 50% full/empty, I doubt you'll ever run out during a normal online race.
When people ask how much fuel is required for a race, just tell them 1 or 2 % less than actually needed. Not only is it very funny to read their expletives as they run out on the last lap, but they soon learn to be generous with the fuel for the first race, and remove fuel for subsequent races.

And don't do it to people you want to keep as friends for long
Cruel, cruel man, Tristan.

On this topic I'd still like to be able to save fuel loads to particular setups. Would make it easier just to select, for example, your 'LX4 Ky Nat 10 laps' setup and have the fuel and correct settings all ready to go. Not all setups are totally compatible with all fuel loads and this would be a nice little feature.
Quote from nikimere :But different driving styles have different fuel consuption so how is LFS goign to work out if you've got enough or not?

I wasn't suggesting it calculate the optimum fuel amount just that it would ensure you had enough incase you forget to set the fuel... quite often you may connect just for one quick race (quick race in my book is upto 20 laps :P) and if its not a track your familiar with you, you can get the fuel wrong and your one quick race ends up being abit shorter than you had wanted LOL

Quote from Bob Smith :Just leave the tank 50% full/empty, I doubt you'll ever run out during a normal online race.

In some cases 50% will not cover 20laps on some tracks, and there are occassions where for example you have just jumped from a 5 lapper server to a 20 lapper server, the race is just about to start, and you think damn it, I'll just do one more race , but in your haste you forget about fuel... until the 3rd or 4th lap then you go oh shit!

Quote from tristancliffe :And don't do it to people you want to keep as friends for long

LOL I always put in about 10 - 20% more than people tell me

Quote from Hankstar :I'd like to be able to save fuel loads to particular setups.

Thats a good idea also
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from tristancliffe :When people ask how much fuel is required for a race, just tell them 1 or 2 % less than actually needed. Not only is it very funny to read their expletives as they run out on the last lap, but they soon learn to be generous with the fuel for the first race, and remove fuel for subsequent races.

And don't do it to people you want to keep as friends for long

Hehe, whenever someone tells me how much fuel to put in, i always put 5% more just incase
I'm with Bob Smith here, I just set it to an amount where I know it will be enough. In the early days of S2 I calculated the fuel amount to the minimum possible, but today I don't bother anymore. At most, if I really feel like it, I look at Fuel Control Online and round up that value big time.

Basically calculating only makes sense if you have a very lightweight low powered car. But if you drive the XRR then you won't feel all that much difference between 50 and 18%.

Anyways, the save-fuel-load-with-setup option is IMO the best, and will very likely come someday with the general overhaul of the setup system. (We also really need a "notes" field for each setup!)
well actually i noticed i go 1 or 2mph slower on the AS3 highspeed section in the fzr if i run with 50% compared to 30%. yeah its a really small amount but also mentally knowing you are running with the optimum amount of fuel makes it easier to drive well on some level i'm sure.
That depends really. My LX6 runs better with something like 20-30% in the tank than 5-10%. So I leave it around 25% all the time even for short races.

But I do agree for the popup. I mean if you have like 10% in your XRR when you join a server and the race is 15 laps on KY3 you're never gonna make it so it's an obvious thing and a popup box could be an helpful reminder.
that is a good idea i guess.... especially if you constantly change types of cars and races.

LOL A better one would be to have a "check fuel" light come on as soon as the car runs out of gas. Have you ever had a clunker die on you and THEN the check engine light comes on?

@Bob Ford: I agree with you on the fuel setting, but I noticed there really is a BIG difference in performance with the MRTs and how much gas is in the tank.
That's sorta puzzling since it only holds about 4 1/2 -5 gallons of fuel.
LOL the only other thing that I know of being that weight sensitive are
fat people that hang around anerexics
Quote from Racer Y :LOL A better one would be to have a "check fuel" light come on as soon as the car runs out of gas. Have you ever had a clunker die on you and THEN the check engine light comes on?

that's a great suggestion and how about a simulation of the driver getting out and pouring another 5L of fuel in the tank like ajp71's avtar

But seriously the idea is not at all about optimum fuel loads, it's about making it more user friendly to the first time racers and people who change car track combo's regularly and can't keep track

Quote from AndroidXP :We also really need a "notes" field for each setup!

I would agree with that, perhaps even a note field at the bottom of each setup screen, so the notes would be specific to those settings...
Maybe an LFS world command like /w fuel as3 rac or similar. And LFSW would store and calculate average consumptions? The output could be like this: LFSW: Fuel for as3/rac: 5%/lap, 25%/5laps, 75%/15laps.

And a command /w fuel would just check the curent car/track combo like the /w pb, without any additional typing so you could set it to your F-keys

EDIT. And if LFSW would store all fuel consumptions per laps, we could have a wr list of lowest consumptions
When you join a server, simply press F12, you'll see the ammount of fuel you'll need listed
Quote from Hyperactive :And if LFSW would store all fuel consumptions per laps, we could have a wr list of lowest consumptions

Slow down there m8 we have enough problems with people racing 24/7 to have most racers won and km etc now imagine a group of people all trying to get the most km from a tank of fuel Hey but on second thoughts the results would be interesting and drafting would be king you could do like cyclists and run as a team of 3 cars each taking turns to be the lead car LOL and you would have to find the optimum speed for fuel economy...

Quote from Goresh :When you join a server, simply press F12, you'll see the ammount of fuel you'll need listed

hm how sure are you about that pressing F12 AFTER you finish a race tells you how much you used per lap, but it doesn't tell you when you first connect... and F12 can't help you at all if you just forget about your fuel altogether
Quote from Goresh :When you join a server, simply press F12, you'll see the ammount of fuel you'll need listed

You need to do at least one lap for that. And sometimes there is no time for that. (Actually you need to do 2 laps, first starts from the pits so it doesn't "count", after finishing the second you can see that "average fuel per lap"-stat).

There is that online fuel calculation system, which is great to have btw., but a system inside LFS via LFSW would be more pleasent to use. And those numbers are other people's numbers, so they may be little off
I would like LFS to save the fuel per lap at F12 screen.
what is really needed is "fuel setups" (independent from car setup) to save fuel strategy for each particular combo car/track/laps
Quote from Honey :what is really needed is "fuel setups" (independent from car setup) to save fuel strategy for each particular combo car/track/laps

Good idea batman!
Quote from the_angry_angel :Good idea batman!

lol thanks!
but why batman?

...at least ...batgirl
Ok so I am indeed wrong, just tested and as stated it doesn't show from the beginning.
Quote from Hyperactive :Maybe an LFS world command like /w fuel as3 rac or similar. And LFSW would store and calculate average consumptions? The output could be like this: LFSW: Fuel for as3/rac: 5%/lap, 25%/5laps, 75%/15laps.

And a command /w fuel would just check the curent car/track combo like the /w pb, without any additional typing so you could set it to your F-keys

EDIT. And if LFSW would store all fuel consumptions per laps, we could have a wr list of lowest consumptions

Brilliant idea!
I just assume around 5%/lap at anything sized like AS National and around 8% at the bigger tracks in the FZR. But I think the original point is like someone said, you just ran 5 lappers at AS Nat and you switch to a Kyoto Ring course that's running 10 laps and you jump in forgetting to check the fuel milage (how does everyone else say that, fuel kilometerage? hehe). Not so much a fuel calculation to determine the optimum fuel load, but just a reminder "Hey bonehead, a bit longer of a race here, you're gonna need a bit more fuel for this one!"
Quote from mrodgers :(how does everyone else say that, fuel kilometerage? hehe).

Since mostly non-english speaking countries use metric, I'd say we don't say fuel kilometerage.
No, just usage, or consumption.

Good idea though, to stay ontopic for a bit tonight as well.
Quote from Hyperactive :Maybe an LFS world command like /w fuel as3 rac or similar. And LFSW would store and calculate average consumptions? The output could be like this: LFSW: Fuel for as3/rac: 5%/lap, 25%/5laps, 75%/15laps.

Yeah, quoting my own post (). Forgot to say that mostly this unknown fuel issue is a problem when on new track/track combo for first time... So when player has no fuel stat for a specific combo, LFSW would have some kind of average stat for this.

Or is there even a need for a player specific fuel consumption lists? I mean, some kind of average X%/lap would do just fine. With that /w fuel possibility. But that discards the wr possibility

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG