The online racing simulator
Replays Or Not!
(16 posts, started )
Replays Or Not!
I know this may seem stupid but is kinda cool. I done a lap around Black Wood and then saved the replay ( The lap was perfect ). I then watched the replay. So The lap I done was in the past.

I then watched it agen, this time I pushed SHIFT + U. As I was going down the back straight I pushed P, then placed a ramp in the way of my car. Then I pushed P agen. My car crashed, then the replay said error. But for that split second I changed the past. How dose that work if it's just a replay.

I am shore someone can explane, mabey I am just dumm.
That's because the "replay" works by storing and then re-feeding the player inputs to the physics engine. It also has position packets here and there, but they're only existing to validate the correctness of the replay (this is what happened when you influenced the physics with the ramp and it noticed the positions didn't match up => OOS (out of sync) error).
#3 - Gil07
A replay only saves your inputs, etc. The actual action is calculated on the fly, IIRC.

Too late... At least I was correct though
It's because the replays don't store what happened I.E. the positions of cars, it stores the inputs (for multiplayer, your inputs and the network packets you get).
which is its a pain when a new version is released that all your replays dont work!
http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... mp;highlight=replay+error

Quote from Snake2 :I know this may seem stupid but is kinda cool. I done a lap around Black Wood and then saved the replay ( The lap was perfect ). I then watched the replay. So The lap I done was in the past.

I then watched it agen, this time I pushed SHIFT + U. As I was going down the back straight I pushed P, then placed a ramp in the way of my car. Then I pushed P agen. My car crashed, then the replay said error. But for that split second I changed the past. How dose that work if it's just a replay.

I am shore someone can explane, mabey I am just dumm.

You are not really changing the past are you? You are changing a recording of the past.

For example, editing a video, If you make it black & white, you haven't changed the past. You have changed a recording of the past
#7 - JeffR
If the replays only store controller based inputs, then how do old replays with old physics work on on newer versions of LFS? I had the impression that the replays of LFS were telemetry based.

NFS versions 5 and before use controller based inputs for replays. If a player modifies any of the physics files, the car in the replay just goes off track and crashes because of the differences in physics. The NFS replays also store the car, upgrades, tuning, assist and cheat codes, so unless there's an actualy change to a physics file, the replays work just fine. It's also provides a means to verify that the games play the same on multiple computers (an issue with later NFS games). NFS4 also had a ghost mode that was telemetry based. After running against the ghost, a player can save a replay that shows both the ghost (telemetry) and the players cars (controller based input).
Quote from AndroidXP :That's because the "replay" works by storing and then re-feeding the player inputs to the physics engine. It also has position packets here and there, but they're only existing to validate the correctness of the replay (this is what happened when you influenced the physics with the ramp and it noticed the positions didn't match up => OOS (out of sync) error).

That just sparked a thought what will happen when we have advanced damage (body parts flying about) and gravel can be brought back on the track or dynamic whether or rubber biuld up including marbles (mind boggles)
Quote from Snake2 :But for that split second I changed the past. How dose that work if it's just a replay.

There's some hex at work here - I can feel it.
For years people have tried to find a way to time travel and you've cracked it,
i ran a deloren round blackwood track once but as soon as it hit 88mph the tires caught fire and it vanished?
Quote from JeffR :If the replays only store controller based inputs, then how do old replays with old physics work on on newer versions of LFS?

Easy - they don't.
Gayzus mate.

No offence but learn to speak/write English.
Quote from Glenn67 :That just sparked a thought what will happen when we have advanced damage (body parts flying about) and gravel can be brought back on the track or dynamic whether or rubber biuld up including marbles (mind boggles)

how would that be a problem? The replays are exactly the same each time you watch them so any damage you get will be reproduced exactly the same way as its the exact same crash.
Quote from sil3ntwar :how would that be a problem? The replays are exactly the same each time you watch them so any damage you get will be reproduced exactly the same way as its the exact same crash.

Hmm well I was thinking how much computer horsepower would be needed to model every bit of gravel rolloing around the track or every lump of rubber If that was how it would be represented we will need to wait quite some time before PC's are powerfull enough let alone the complexities of programing So then I thought that sought of modeling would have to be canned effects or semi simultated which to be believeable would require some randomness built in at which point I'd suspect the current replay system wouldn't work or at the very least would have to exclude cirtain aspects then I became depressed (as I want to see these features sooner rather than later)

you asked
Even if you add "randomness" you can start the random number generator with the same seed as you did on the real race, which means it will produce exactly the same number sequences again.
Quote from AndroidXP :Even if you add "randomness" you can start the random number generator with the same seed as you did on the real race, which means it will produce exactly the same number sequences again.

Hmm thats true, I keep forgetting that in computers there is no such thing as random maybe there could be if you linked it to some real time changing data like LFSWorld PB's or some such I never like the idea of fake randomness too many card counters out there

Replays Or Not!
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG