Huh. Weird.

I must have had the wrong thing copied when I pasted that. But it was one of your posts I was quoting, I just can't find which one now.

You might want to edit it then? So I am not the oryginal author of the quote?
Quote from atlantian :what is a cruise server? some grannies and 13 yr olds learning to drive using LFS?

You may well jest. However, what happens if say the DVLA, AA, BSM, IAM or some such body comes to hear about the accuracy of the LFS physics engine and offer the devs large amounts of money to develop environments and "real cars" in order for them to be able to offer CBT courses as a training aid to learner drivers??

Just a thought.
Quote from gezmoor :You may well jest. However, what happens if say the DVLA, AA, BSM, IAM or some such body comes to hear about the accuracy of the LFS physics engine and offer the devs large amounts of money to develop environments and "real cars" in order for them to be able to offer CBT courses as a training aid to learner drivers??

Speaking of which, have you seen the simulators the RAC had/have? ****ing awful.

I'm not sure that something like LFS has the capacity for being used in a teaching environment though, not at least without a full motion platform. The reason for this is that the sensation of driving with your arse just isn't there, and may not actually help less confident, or competant, new drivers.
-
(gezmoor) DELETED by gezmoor : just realised its already been posted
Quote from the_angry_angel :Speaking of which, have you seen the simulators the RAC had/have? ****ing awful.

I'm not sure that something like LFS has the capacity for being used in a teaching environment though, not at least without a full motion platform. The reason for this is that the sensation of driving with your arse just isn't there, and may not actually help less confident, or competant, new drivers.

Talking of which, I have an idea about how "seat of the pants" feedback could be implemented relatively easiliy in a game controller.

Of course I couldn't tell anyone with out having to shoot them afterwards !
Quote from gezmoor :Talking of which, I have an idea about how "seat of the pants" feedback could be implemented relatively easiliy in a game controller.

Of course I couldn't tell anyone with out having to shoot them afterwards !

Dual-shock PS2 controller?

I would love if LFS was used for initial driver training. With a few minor modifications, and a motion simulator and cockpit, it would probably be one of the best training facilities available.
Quote from tristancliffe :Cruising is pretty much for morons, and nobody looks cool doing it. Drifting has it's own moron population, but they aren't all of it by any means (just like racing has a certain moron population), and a good drift is quite cool.

Just like people on cruises give cruising a bad name. Oh wait, that's all of them!

I still kinda like your simple minds Tristan. Perhaps I am the motorsport fan. I still remember the moment when I found out about your racing activities in real life. That respect will never leave me.

But to add some real thoughts to this topic, I have to say that I kind of started this cash crap. And eventhough I agree with Sam that players should choose the game they want to play and how they want to play it, I would love to explain that the cruising servers are not what I wanted them to become. Or not exactly. My original vision was (and still is) to introduce another real life element of racing - the danger, risk, and the adrenaline coming with that.

I will help my poor English skills and explain it using an example from another game you all racing/driving games fans should know quite well - NFS Porsche Challenge. You could decide if you join the racing event in your career. If you won, you got the prize in money. Not only you had to pay some entry starting fee to join the race, but you also had to pay a lot on repairs of your damaged car, should you race so badly that you crashed. Sometimes I spent so much on repairs that the attractive 1st prize wasnt enough to cover my damage fees. It was not enough to be the 1st crossing the finish line. You had to be able to do it in style. Awesome!

If I race in LFS and have a fight with another player, and I lose, there are two possible feelings at the end. If he blocked me or even bumped me out of the track, he is just a moron to me. But if he backs off to let me go and avoid collision, but still passes me with a style at another place on track, he is the hero in my eyes. And I can't resist to send some words of my deep respect to him after the race. Those are the moments I really love in LFS, and I tried to make them happen as often as it gets.
Maybe I failed...
CLC server, however, has this vision still high at its todo list.

I would hate to see LFS leave its racing heart.
It's hard not to call it a racing simulation. This is the goal of the design. The developers approach the project with a simulation in their minds. They give us cars, tracks, and good physics. However, they don't control what the end user does with this. The game is a simulation, even if the game play by the end users may not be focused in this way.
I must say that I dont get this thread - maybe because I dont cruise, I can cruise in real car but I dont like it anyway.

But there is a thing with racing - I am usually up to 2-3 seconds behind WRs and I admit there are not many people with such driving to race at servers. Back in the days I proposed server feature - range of PB required to join.(both sides open/closed) - but I think I should join some team to race in leagues

LFS no longer a pure racing sim?
(160 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG