The online racing simulator
Special event, OLFSL Skilldriving Challenge
Christmas surprise!

As our Christmas present to all of you we have decided to arrange a Special Skilldriving Challenge. This is in no way related to our ongoing season, this is an independent minievent that we are putting together to thank you all for making all our efforts worth it.

The track layout is still a heavily guarded secret, but it will be revealed soon. You can then download it from our website and start practicing. This minievent will be held on 15th January. You need to send your hotlaps by 8th January.

Here’s the idea of this Skilldriving Challenge:

You will all drive 2 laps, and then send it to us like you send your hotlaps. More instructions on that will follow when we get our systems ready.
30 fastest drivers will then compete in the actual event. Those 30 fastest drivers will be divided into 3 groups randomly and after they have all driven, their times define their positions. So in this event it doesn’t matter which group you are driving in, only your time matters!

All of you will race your laps alone. After everyone has completed those 2 laps, 5 fastest of each group will get to race another 2 laps.

More information will follow later, but this is the basic idea behind it.

You can now download our Skilldriving Challenge promotion video, compliments of our very own videomaker; FienDi!

Merry Christmas to you all and happy new year!

--
The Original LFS League Staff

The video:

http://www.lfs-league.com/misc/special_event.zip
Sounds intresting
Quiet challenge, wonder how far I'll get..
Quote from GianniC :Sounds intresting
Quiet challenge, wonder how far I'll get..

I think you will do alright
#4 - tonix
Weeee . I'm definetely in!
Yea, me too, sounds like fun and something differnt.
Sounds great
But I don't think I'll be that good at it - I like good old fashioned racing, this seems a bit like the rally event just not on mud, but will try. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks for hard work to the OLFSL staff, we don't deserve it!
Oh what the hell I'll give it a try, but please make that music available so I can play it while doing my laps - I'm only doing this for the crazy music!
A Christmas Prezzie......and to think I never got you Fiendi's Nuttin. How about I just show up and have fun, after all it is your Party.

Merry xmas Mrs......ditto Mr.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Oh what the hell I'll give it a try, but please make that music available so I can play it while doing my laps - I'm only doing this for the crazy music!

The song is called Moskau, and the band is Rammstein.

Thanks guys, see ya there!
15th January? damm...

i cant make it... coz we have a 24h race in that weekend
Quote from Neokiller :15th January? damm...

i cant make it... coz we have a 24h race in that weekend

Hmmm yes, all sort of events are being held then.. Perhaps schedule it bit later ?

"This city wears a dress,
it has red spots on its forehead.
Her teeth are gold.
She is fat and yet still takes.
Her mouth fills you with emptiness.
When she pays for you
she'll pull you out,
yet not for money;
the city stops my breath.

Moscow!
One, two, three
Moscow!
look, pioneers! There they go, songs to Lenin they sing

She is old but beautiful,
I can not stay here again.

I can't keep balance

She powders her old skin,
she has gotten new breasts.

It built again

She turns me on,
I grieve the torment.
She dances for me,
I must pay.

I must pay

She sleeps with me,
yet not for money,
its the greatest city in the world.

Moscow!
One, two, three
Moscow!
Look, pioneers, there they go, songs to Lenin they sing

I see it, what you don't see.
When you sleep deeply at night
When you lie before me
When you speak to me
I see it, and you never will.

One, two, three

Moscow!
One, two, three

Moscow!

Look, pioneers, songs to Lenin they sing! "

Ever listened to Ohne Dich or Amerika ? Rammstein aint my cup of tea but... Those 2 songs hit me somehow.

THANK YOU FIENDI'S FAMILLY
Although I only like just a few songs of them, I think "Benzin" is the song, that would fit us all the most of all songs...
Ok got the Layout and OH What fun, That last corner is (Censored). Good way to kill a Cold Snowy Night.
I have now got the layout and what fun it is. Hard!! but fun
better than I thought!
I've done much better than I thought at the skill challenge! I didn't expect it to but it suits my style, I like being rough!

Can't believe I'm infront of FienDi and he designed the track!

One thought though, this could be easy to cheat.

All you would have to do is load the current layout into the editor and widen the paths through the tyres just a little (not enough to easily see by visual) but enough to help navigate, then save that and use it instead.

Any thoughts?

Not that I'm accusing anyone of cheating yet!!
Quote from russraine :All you would have to do is load the current layout into the editor and widen the paths through the tyres just a little (not enough to easily see by visual) but enough to help navigate, then save that and use it instead.

Any thoughts?

Not that I'm accusing anyone of cheating yet!!

I see your point. But this is meant to be plain fun, no one should take it too seriously. Cheating is something I don't tolerate (and I bet other staff members won't either), so I don't recommend it.

However, cheating won't get you far anyway, because using your own layout is not possible in the race.

We trust you all to be fair and honest. We trust you to have fun in the Skilldriving Challenge, that's what we wanted to give you as our Christmas present.
Quote from Mrs FienDi :We trust you all to be fair and honest. We trust you to have fun in the Skilldriving Challenge, that's what we wanted to give you as our Christmas present.

Also, anyone can download the spr-files so it's easy to get busted.. :biggun:
yeah
I realised anyone can download the SPR's, but would you easily be able to tell by watching the replay if the paths had been widened by say half a metre? I reckon it would look very similar myself.

Half a metre can make all the difference around those tight bends but is visually hard to detect.

I don't think anyone would actually do it, we all want to have a fair system, just I thought it was a small loophole.

Luckily I haven't even tried making a course myself yet so it would take me weeks to be able to learn how to do it like FienDi does it!!
Quote from russraine :I don't think anyone would actually do it, we all want to have a fair system, just I thought it was a small loophole.

And you're absolutely right. Although I think if you spend hours making a track, you know it so well you can see it immediately if one part of it has moved an inch :boing:

Quote from russraine : Luckily I haven't even tried making a course myself yet so it would take me weeks to be able to learn how to do it like FienDi does it!!

Oh, that's nice That was FienDi's 3rd or 4th track layout, so he's not a pro yet either but learning fast
Confident
I'm quite confident - having practiced online I'm the fastest so far and am good at avoiding penalties!

Hi all! I am a newbie in this league. Recently bought a license and really excited with this racing community, cool

I have joined the current event, its fun and really gotto get used to tights, but lots of fun.

I nave sent my hotlap (10th posision rigtht now )and have a couple of questions:

Does the penalties count in hotlaps, right now i didnt manage to see it? we have to watch spr and detect penalties "manually"? Right?

In hot lap only secong lap is important?
If so ive got a little hint, u may warm up your tyres in the 1st one
Quote from Kumicho :Does the penalties count in hotlaps, right now i didnt manage to see it? we have to watch spr and detect penalties "manually"? Right?

The information about the penalties is apparently not saved in the replay, so it doesn't count in hotlaps. But it counts in the race, so I suggest clean laps.

Quote from Kumicho : In hot lap only secong lap is important?
If so ive got a little hint, u may warm up your tyres in the 1st one

Both are important. Total time is what counts.
I seem to be getting very low fps.

there are far too many objects imo
Quote from smidge :I seem to be getting very low fps.
there are far too many objects imo

This is going to push this thread offtopic, but what are you PC specs?
--edit--
others with fps problems are welcome to reply too
--------

Mine:
ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
512Mb DDR
Radeon 9600 Pro

.. and constant 48-50 fps (limited)
p4 2ghz
512ddr
gf4 ti4200

I've tried changing to lower detail, resolution, etc but seems imposssible to get it over 20fps.

Makes it very hard to drive.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG