The online racing simulator
Need help with server problems
(22 posts, started )
Hi. I have a server problem and i tryed to figuer it out but cant so here it is.

I start a new server by clicking the start new server button.
I click the Viewer on to network.
I get in the race.
No one can see my server online or can join it by ip address. I have an direct connection.

What can i do???
I was thinking of buying a few servers but then nobosy will be able to see them. lol
nope
It didnt work.
"it didn't work" isn't a very useful comment.

If it didn't work tell us what you have setup. Do you have a home router device? If so, do you know if it runs NAT or PAT (very very unlikely)? Do you run any firewall software? What OS are you running your server on? etc. etc.

The more information you can tell us the more we can help you.
I say this because running a server is not difficult, but the number of combinations of software and hardware make supporting people very difficult.
IWell im the only one with an internet connection that says "Local" and i have been trying to start up a host for 1 1/2 years now and still havent been able to. I payed 20$ for a server and i cant use it because i dont now how. Im a bit pissed off on how bad 500 servers assistance is. I have DSL and i have a wireless-G Broadband Router. I have the best firewall and all the safety programs. They are shut down for when i try to fail at making a server and i do have a home router i think. I dont now how to setup anything because im a noob when it comes to seting up a server. I dont ask the dumbasses on lfs servers because they answer with a dumbass coment like." I just went to the start server and whalla" no ****ing duh. Not mad at you just mad that i cant get any help. What a waste of 20$ on some crappy serviced server company.
You do realize that 500 Servers hosts them on their own boxes for you, not for you to host on your own to gain "rights" to host.
As Dustin says, you only need to pay a company, such as 500servers, if you want them to host the server for you on one of their machines in a remote location. They are not there for support on anything other than servers they run themselves.

The reason that these hosting companies exist is for people who dont have fast enough connections, or have trouble setting one up on their own.

Think of it like a webhosting company. You wouldn't pay one, then try and setup a webserver on your home connection, and then blame them for not providing support?!
I will assume you are running windows as you failed to tell us that one in your post/rant. I know from experience its easy to say "it didn't work" but after a while one starts to question how much effort one puts into the kind of thing where a process and careful consideration is needed.

Hosting an LFS Server locally is not hard. The post TAA linked you too in the first responce does contain everything you need to get your server working. This is also on the LFS Manual, a resource which I've personally found very useful in starting from scratch over the last few days.

Ive followed the instructions on there step by step, then played a little lfs on the server.

Quote :What can i do???
I was thinking of buying a few servers but then nobosy will be able to see them.

Incorrect. If you were to "buy" a server from a server company, you would be "renting" that server, which would already be all setup for others to be able to see, thus taking away the hosting issues from yourself.

Quote :I start a new server by clicking the start new server button.
I click the Viewer on to network.

Are you making sure that you are starting the server as "internet" and not local or hidden?

Good Luck!
Quote from tauntdevil666 : I payed 20$ for a server and i cant use it because i dont now how. Im a bit pissed off on how bad 500 servers assistance is.

Hi,

If you make a support ticket via the 500servers control panel, we will gladly offer assistance, however we cannot help you if there has been no help asked for.

Regards,
Dean
Me wonders seeing this conversation why he rented a server in the first place. Has 500 servers a stupidity refund policy?
^^ Lol
Quote from tauntdevil666 :IWell im the only one with an internet connection that says "Local" and i have been trying to start up a host for 1 1/2 years now and still havent been able to. I payed 20$ for a server and i cant use it because i dont now how. Im a bit pissed off on how bad 500 servers assistance is. I have DSL and i have a wireless-G Broadband Router. I have the best firewall and all the safety programs. They are shut down for when i try to fail at making a server and i do have a home router i think. I dont now how to setup anything because im a noob when it comes to seting up a server. I dont ask the dumbasses on lfs servers because they answer with a dumbass coment like." I just went to the start server and whalla" no ****ing duh. Not mad at you just mad that i cant get any help. What a waste of 20$ on some crappy serviced server company.

We at Halfords Racing use 500Servers and have had nothing but excellent response from them when we needed it. Most support tickets were answered within a couple of hours....

Obviously you havent submitted one, hence why you have received no response.

Your bashing of 500servers quite inappropriate. You cant blame them for your lack of knowledge.

EDIT: just realized i double posted... Oops LOL
i swear they spend most of their time answering my questions lately

can i upgrade my hosting plan
can i downgrade my hosting plan
why can't i walk on water
is the sun going to rise tomorrow
why doesn't my server work
why does my server now work

all questions that 500servers support staff deal with on a daily basis from me

might be a bit over the top but you get the point

the point is, these guys have great support and there is only one thing you need if your going to host something from home. maybe a domain name otherwise if you pay for hosting, you get hosting from them and not from yourself.
bit of an old topic bump there hugesie lol, but thank you none the less
Didn't wanted to make a new thread to ask this question, so I decided to put it here.

How can I change the name of dedicated server? I mean the name what is shown in connection list. LFSmanual didn't help me on this matter (Otherwise, it was valuable source of information, thanks for the author!).
If you're using the dedicated server, it's contained in your config file. By default this is setup.cfg.
Quote from the_angry_angel :If you're using the dedicated server, it's contained in your config file. By default this is setup.cfg.

I can define the name the server appears in master server list. I meant how it appears in "names list" (When pressing N when on server). Right now it is called "host".
Quote from Gekkibi :I can define the name the server appears in master server list. I meant how it appears in "names list" (When pressing N when on server). Right now it is called "host".

Look in cfg.txt for a line that says "Ply Name host" change "host" to your name, Save the file. The start the server.
Quote from mcgas001 :Look in cfg.txt for a line that says "Ply Name host" change "host" to your name, Save the file. The start the server.

Oh my God. Haven't noticed there was another config-file! Thank you for your help. <3
Is there some kind of banlist? Haven't found a command to show me who are banned, when and for how long. Neither, didn't found any kind of log-file.
#21 - Jakg
You need to open the bans.ban file using a ban viewer - i think CrazyIce made one.
Thank you for your fast reply. Using "bans.ban" as search word, I found out this:

Quote from SilverArrows77 :Its found at "yourliveforspeedfolder/data/misc/bans.ban"

It can be edited with cr4zy!C3's Ban Editor that i have attached - though this appears to longer be supported and im not sure how reliable it is with current version of LFS

I hope that is working. Got to test it after work.

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG