The online racing simulator
Will LFS run on eee-PC ?
(47 posts, started )
Will LFS run on eee-PC ?
Hey all,

I was one lucky guy to get an eee-PC, as it was released today here in germany... (for EUR299)

specs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

The device (which is nice) comes with a xandros linux derivate but asus provides all drivers to run it with xp sp2. I was just wondering if anyone has tried to run LFS on it as it has been released in other countries some time before...

cheers,

AR
If it runs at all, it will run really slow. I don't see the point either way.
Probably not. Miserably at best.
900Mhz processor WOW ^_^

Quote :
Required computer specifications:
1 GHz CPU, 128 MB memory, 3D graphics card

Taken from the LFS site. I wouldn't expect it to run, myself.
lol 8Gb Flash harddrive
Saw those at Toys'r Us, for £200...You could build a 1Gb RAM Core2 Duo machine with that much
thats worse than the computers at school here :/
#8 - Jakg
Quote from harjun :lol 8Gb Flash harddrive
Saw those at Toys'r Us, for £200...You could build a 1Gb RAM Core2 Duo machine with that much

Your an idiot. Find me a £220 new laptop. Oh wait...!

Ok, find me a laptop that bloody small. Oh wait, a 12" laptop is £700, and anything smaller is a £1k UMPC.

They freaking rock and i would swap my Core 2 Duo laptop for one, as it would be MUCH better for what i need. IIRC there is an 8.9" unit coming soon with better battery, but that is still the same size.
Quote from harjun :lol 8Gb Flash harddrive

Yeah, but could you put it in your pocket?..

Then again, YOU probably could, because you would get Daddy to buy you a massive coat with a trolley attached.
#10 - Woz
Quote from Jakg :Your an idiot. Find me a £220 new laptop. Oh wait...!

Ok, find me a laptop that bloody small. Oh wait, a 12" laptop is £700, and anything smaller is a £1k UMPC.

They freaking rock and i would swap my Core 2 Duo laptop for one, as it would be MUCH better for what i need. IIRC there is an 8.9" unit coming soon with better battery, but that is still the same size.

Yep the new one with bigger screen is the one I am waiting on.
It might, but please try so we can see how well it does
Quote from Bladerunner :Yeah, but could you put it in your pocket?

but its not actually that small...thats the thing, when you see it...trust me, its about as big as an ordinary mouse mat
Quote from harjun :but its not actually that small...thats the thing, when you see it...trust me, its about as big as an ordinary mouse mat

Hold on...yes, went into Emmys room and looked at hers...picked it up...and guess what? fits just nice in my work jacket pocket!
Just remember, when you are young things ALWAYS look bigger, brighter and prettier...its called "eyes are bigger than belly syndrome" Has been known to affect things like laptops, go-karts and Digital SLR cameras as well!
#14 - Jakg
Quote from harjun :but its not actually that small...thats the thing, when you see it...trust me, its about as big as an ordinary mouse mat

Your arguing with someone that has used one for a few minutes (ie seen the size of it) and someone who actually has one.

It's bloody tiny. I've seen small laptops (ie a freinds 13" Mac), i've seen tiny laptops (ie a JVC Mininote) and trust me the eee is in another league size-wise.

With a 900 MHz CPU and a GMA 900 it will be crap at LFS though. My laptop has a 2 GHz C2D and a GMA 950 and it's pretty crap at LFS...
It runs. Quite poorly as you might imagine.
Max ~15fps when alone on the track.

EDIT: If you are interested in the EEE try this site for info: http://www.eeeuser.com/
On their forums there is a list of games which can be played on it amongst other things.

right!
Quote from mcgas001 :900Mhz processor WOW ^_^

iirc its a 900mhz clocked at 600 to keep the temps down

Quote from Jakg :They freaking rock and i would swap my Core 2 Duo laptop for one, as it would be MUCH better for what i need. IIRC there is an 8.9" unit coming soon with better battery, but that is still the same size.

it would be pretty sweet as a cheap ultra portable
if the screen was as large as the lid and 1024*768 i would buy one immediatelly ... as it stands now the screen is just useless

as it stands now the 8.9" one will still not be the maximum screen size possible and it will be the same resolution so horizontal scrollbars everywhere
what's wrong with the resolution?

I'm the lucky owner of a 4G Eee PC

LFS will run but is basically unplayable because the framerate is about 10 to 15-ish FPS in cockpit view and, as every DFP owner knows, keyboard control is crap anyway.

Quote :Your an idiot. Find me a £220 new laptop. Oh wait...!

You're absolutely right. I bought my Eee because I wanted a laptop-shaped UMPC at a decent price, and this is the only one that ticks either box. It is brilliantly capable for everything but heavy lifting (games, Photoshop, 3D work etc) and is so brilliant for everyday use I haven't picked up my 15.4" Fujitsu for at least three weeks.
Looks very nice, actually. The first laptop I might consider buying (should I ever get the need for one). I'd want 1024 pixels wide on the screen first too, though.
The display is a bit too small for my liking too, and low resolution. Should have bluetooth too so I could use a phone for internet access easily.
Having used one, the screen res is a bit of a problem for many applications if you either switch OS, or use the "advanced" gui. The trackpad is also very tricky to use in my opinion. You either need to have the sensitivity up high or you need very small fingers due to it's size

The build quality is impressive though

Oh and the clock speed on most of them is actually 630MHz-ish. Very few people have got them clocked to 900MHz stable from what people on the eeeuser forum have been saying over the last few weeks.
Quote from Kegetys :The display is a bit too small for my liking too, and low resolution. Should have bluetooth too...

you can use any wxp-bluetooth-usb-sticks you like!
Quote :Oh and the clock speed on most of them is actually 630MHz-ish. Very few people have got them clocked to 900MHz stable from what people on the eeeuser forum have been saying over the last few weeks.

Mine will do 765 maximum using software overclocking in Windows, but I think if Asus released a BIOS with the option it would be more stable. Possibly. Maybe not, but it'd be nice.

As for the screen size, I find it perfectly usable and don't have any complaints about the touchpad either.

Will LFS run on eee-PC ?
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG