The online racing simulator
Educational replays in standard setups?
Is there such a thing?

What I'm looking for are replays in standard RACE_S setups, XFG and XRG, ideally BL or maybe SO. Not WRs, just nice clean laps close to the setup limit. The reason is I don't want to bother tweaking the car before I tweak myself, so it would be great to have an example to follow. Thanks!
I second that request.
Quote from Capt Hobbes :Is there such a thing?

What I'm looking for are replays in standard RACE_S setups, XFG and XRG, ideally BL or maybe SO. Not WRs, just nice clean laps close to the setup limit. The reason is I don't want to bother tweaking the car before I tweak myself, so it would be great to have an example to follow. Thanks!

That's exactly what I was thinking when I started playing, but the problem is that any driver good enough to make such "educationnal replays" cannot imagine racing without tweaking the default setups of the cars, which can be pretty terrible sometimes. That means even an excellent driver couldn't get anywhere close to a WR.
This is particularly true for the FBM for example, which default setup is very easy to drive (high understeer), but absolutely crappy when it comes to getting even decent laptimes. And learning to handle the FBM well with that default setup won't teach you much about handling it with a high-performance setup, because it would then oversteer much more, and handle completely differently.

I don't know if I'm really clear, but from my little LFS experience, my point is that you should learn tweaking the car and driving well at the same time, because being able to make a good setup is part of the game. Or at least, download WR setups and start tweaking them/learning to drive from there. If you don't know already about it, here's a good place to find setups from the best drivers :

http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu/

About tweaking the cars, here's an excellent guide to start with, it was very useful to me :

http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Basic_Setup_Guide
Word of warning!!
Just a small word of warning!

The above post mentions the "Inferno setup page." Do not use these setups as is, or you will be off the track more that on it!!!!!

These sets are tweaked to within an inch of their lives!! Really fast but very unstable. You will need to add downforce, take off some camber, maybe change the gears a bit because you changed the downforce. And on and on and on....

If you really want to get faster gradually. Which is what I think you we're asking. Learn the lines of the tracks. The new feature that lets you see the racing line (#4) is a great learning tool.

Don't use the fastest set! Use a really stable set that lets you drive the racing line nice and smooth. You will go faster and faster almost every lap, and you will be faster than almost all the guys that download the Inferno sets!!

Drop by the [HR] servers sometime for some good racing and we will share some sets as well.

Hope this helps and happy racing.
Thanks for the replies everybody! What I'm really looking for at this stage is learn a few tracks and get used to how the car feels at the limit. So like Toddshooter said, what would be nice is an easy setup and some yardstick to measure my driving against, that's why I asked about those replays. What I shoot for are good times, not record times. Good times are when they are fast *for that setup* and I can repeat them lap after lap, not just luck out not to spin one lap out of ten.

Anyways, FWIW what I did to get at least some ballpark data is let the AI (pro level) do ten laps around Blackwood. Best times were 1:38.60 in XFG and 1:37.21 in XRG. It seems that the AI always uses the default "hard track" setup, at least judging by the camber and tire pressure figures in the F12 screen.
Is it a good idea to develope a setup for each track for a car?
If all you want is a replay of someone driving the Race_S setup around the track as fast and cleanly as possible then I'm willing to do a few for you.

I haven't driven the XFG or XRG for ages mind you, but i reckon i could probably get up to speed pretty quickly.

I gather you want Blackwood.

Anywhere else? any other cars?
#8 - Dac
Quote from agm_ultimatex :Is it a good idea to develope a setup for each track for a car?

I wouldn't say you have to "develop" a set for everytrack... it's more like developing a good base and then tweak it a bit here and there to suit the track.

For example I mainly use two setups for the XFG. They're more or less the same except for the gearing: taller for BL, shorter for SO and FE... same goes for the XRG.

BTW: in the setups-section of this forum there's a bunch of "easy" setups made by Bob Smith. If you haven't got a clue about (on / of?? what's the correct word?) setting up a car, learning a track using these sets is probably not a waste of time. They at least feel good (real).
Here's about 12 laps of BL1 in the XFG.

These are the first laps I've driven with this combo for longer than i can remember so i apologise for the scrappy nature of some of them.
Unmodded Race_S feels horrible with this car

I'm not sure this will teach you anything tbh.

They are mostly 1.36's and a couple in the 1.35's

I'll put together some better, more consistent laps for you tomorrow, with the XRG as well.
Attached files
bl1_XFG_Testing.spr - 575.9 KB - 234 views
#11 - Dac
Quote from The Moose :Here's about 12 laps of BL1 in the XFG.

These are the first laps I've driven with this combo for longer than i can remember so i apologise for the scrappy nature of some of them.
Unmodded Race_S feels horrible with this car

I'm not sure this will teach you anything tbh.

They are mostly 1.36's and a couple in the 1.35's

I'll put together some better, more consistent laps for you tomorrow, with the XRG as well.

only watched the first 2 laps, id say the driving was 6-7/10 at best. lots of yawing the wheel midway through the corners and sliding....eek. but your lap times are very very good with the standard setup.
Quote from Dac :only watched the first 2 laps, id say the driving was 6-7/10 at best. lots of yawing the wheel midway through the corners and sliding....eek. but your lap times are very very good with the standard setup.

The first two laps were utter shite , i was trying to go flat out with no idea whatsoever of braking points etc....
I am at complete n00b level with that combo. Not driven it for at least 9 months, and hardly drove it at all then. Prob only done 20 laps of that in my life

I watched your laps. You don't use enough of the track.
#13 - Dru
Quote from The Moose :The first two laps were utter shite , i was trying to go flat out with no idea whatsoever of braking points etc....
I am at complete n00b level with that combo. Not driven it for at least 9 months, and hardly drove it at all then. Prob only done 20 laps of that in my life

Thanks god i did not enter any spr - I'd have 12 bad laps
#14 - Dac
Quote from The Moose :The first two laps were utter shite , i was trying to go flat out with no idea whatsoever of braking points etc....

yeah. well im a n00b, n00b lol. only been playing lfs for about a week or so now. i will get better though, thanks for looking at my reply
OT: Just for instance, it's preferable to attach replay and setup files at this forum itself, since we have the chance.

If the files are just scattered around the internet, they have probably been disappeared year after.
#16 - xtm
Quote from frokki :OT: Just for instance, it's preferable to attach replay and setup files at this forum itself, since we have the chance.

If the files are just scattered around the internet, they have probably been disappeared year after.

I think the whole point of the post is recording replays in Default/Race_S setups, which everyone should have anyway
Quote from xtm :I think the whole point of the post is recording replays in Default/Race_S setups, which everyone should have anyway

I was just refferring to Dac's .spr, which was uploaded at some random free service.
#18 - troy
i thought i give it a try: here is what came out 9 laps xrg at south city chicane (missed my brake point once )
Attached files
so6 10 laps.spr - 598.4 KB - 254 views
#19 - Dac
Quote from frokki :I was just refferring to Dac's .spr, which was uploaded at some random free service.

which i still dont know how to correct
#20 - Dac
Quote from troy :i thought i give it a try: here is what came out 9 laps xrg at south city chicane (missed my brake point once )

now that is what i call good driving!!! very very very good
Quote from Bandit77 :I wouldn't say you have to "develop" a set for everytrack... it's more like developing a good base and then tweak it a bit here and there to suit the track.

For example I mainly use two setups for the XFG. They're more or less the same except for the gearing: taller for BL, shorter for SO and FE... same goes for the XRG.

BTW: in the setups-section of this forum there's a bunch of "easy" setups made by Bob Smith. If you haven't got a clue about (on / of?? what's the correct word?) setting up a car, learning a track using these sets is probably not a waste of time. They at least feel good (real).

Hmm. I am new to the setup concept. I have followed the wiki on advanced setup guide and such. A little confusing on some ends how it lists Hrz for suspension, while in the game its in Nm.
Quote from Dac :lots of yawing the wheel midway through the corners

I just watched the replay with the wheel in view and the steering wheel movement is ridiculous. I think that's because i only have a 270 degree wheel. The tiniest movement on my wheel is exaggerated hugely on the in game wheel.

Oh and i wasn't criticizing your driving btw Just offering advice Use every bit of the width of the track on corner exits.
#23 - _ak
Quote from agm_ultimatex :Hmm. I am new to the setup concept. I have followed the wiki on advanced setup guide and such. A little confusing on some ends how it lists Hrz for suspension, while in the game its in Nm.

check out VHPA utility, it calculates frequencies for you
Quote from The Moose :I just watched the replay with the wheel in view and the steering wheel movement is ridiculous. I think that's because i only have a 270 degree wheel. The tiniest movement on my wheel is exaggerated hugely on the in game wheel.

You have a MOMO then perhaps? I was certain you'd have a more high end wheel, considering your impressive CTRA stats. Well, kudos to you then.

And Troy is indeed very fast.. I got a XRT setup from him, and that helped me improve a lot. Can't wait to gain access to the Silver server and drive the XRT again.
#25 - Dac
Quote from The Moose :I just watched the replay with the wheel in view and the steering wheel movement is ridiculous. I think that's because i only have a 270 degree wheel. The tiniest movement on my wheel is exaggerated hugely on the in game wheel.

Oh and i wasn't criticizing your driving btw Just offering advice Use every bit of the width of the track on corner exits.

ye, it kinda looks like a rally driving technique lol

hey no probs mate. i play sims to improve my driving so i welcome any comments/critzs

just out of interest though, ive studied that reply a few times and i counted only 2 corners where i was about a half a meter off the apex on lap 3.

if you mean using the bump strips and canvas on exits i try not to use them as much as possible because they are bumpy and upset the balance of the car.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG