The online racing simulator
Different between FR & FF Drift
(71 posts, started )
i have """drifted""" an ES300 around a corner, actually many corners. i am in my city's local racing team. mercer island is VERY windy. it's doable, but i can't hold the slide very far because of the fact that it's an ff. i tried to defend my self that ff's can drift before, didn't end well. ff's can't DRIFT, ass sliding is ass sliding, poweroversteer is poweroversteer

and by the way, jay, i don't use the hand brake
Quote from atlantian :
I talked through this issue many times on many drift forums and the conclusion is: it's not drifting unless you have the front wheel gripping and the rear wheel slipping by means of your engine

What about Four Wheel Drifts?
And by this, i don't mean AWD cars, i mean proper 4 wheels sliding.

You'll notice alot of people do it on hairpins or VERY tight corners, Streeter from australia is currently in japan, i can't find the video for it as the forum its on is down.

But its essential loosing grip in all four wheels while still being in control, you can enter the corner with more speed and an INSANE ammount of angle as you enter the corner.

As i said before, you hardly ever see this in D1GP in the USA because the corners are all wide open, you'll see it a fair bit in the jap tracks.
... sounds kinda scary, i do touge... which means you have to have some grip or else you are going to get castrated by a tree on your way down the cliff...
Quote from atlantian :... sounds kinda scary, i do touge... which means you have to have some grip or else you are going to get castrated by a tree on your way down the cliff...

In which case i seriously hope you do fall off the cliff and injure yourself, maybe it'll wake you up for being so god damn retarded.

Hills allow very little room for error, let alone another car.
What happens if you hit a family? You'll kill them.

Grow the **** up and use a curcuit ffs.
#55 - Woz
Quote from Klutch :In which case i seriously hope you do fall off the cliff and injury yourself, maybe it'll wake you up for being so god damn retarded.

Hills allow very little room for error, let alone another car.
What happens if you hit a family? You'll kill them.

Grow the **** up and use a curcuit ffs.

+1

NZ is also full of cupid stunts that believe its fine to drift on the public highway.

We have some hill roads with no barrier protection and when another *unt goes off most just think natural selection at work
Quote from atlantian :... sounds kinda scary, i do touge... which means you have to have some grip or else you are going to get castrated by a tree on your way down the cliff...

Good. That'll stop you from breeding :up:
#57 - JCTK
Quote from Woz :+1

NZ is also full of cupid stunts that believe its fine to drift on the public highway.

We have some hill roads with no barrier protection and when another *unt goes off most just think natural selection at work

I like the ones where they can fall straight off into the Pacific Ocean / Tasman Sea~
Quote from Driftfun :ok witch is FF, witch is FR??

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YPRHl1VGK_Y

This video has been removed by the user.

And if this is a video of LFS in force mode again, I reiterate the point I made earlier. LFS shows a force bar for the drive wheels which can be instantly spotted.

And both FF and FR can intitiate a slide (pretty much identically), but only rwd/awd can truly drift considering you can't continue that slide further than your momentum will carry you. As much as I'm bored by it now, I started out in LFS drifting. I learned there is a lot more to controlling a rwd/awd drift than just putting it into the slide, and that control's just not there in a fwd vehicle.

And please for the love of god will some of you drifters start really racing. You don't know what you're missing when all you're doing is multiplayer hot(drift)lapping. Anything I experienced during my half year or so drifting is nothing compared to the adrenaline rush of a good race. (I get to use my drifting control and about 900% more knowledge than I ever had or would've had while drifting and fight to my absolute limits, it's a bit of a rush.) My main point being that you may feel like you're developing some special skill (I did too back then), but what you're really doing is overdeveloping a minor-subset of a complete racer's skill. The only time you'll see me on a drift server now is when I'm heavily intoxicated, and I'll still drift better than 90% of the people there while having problems walking.
Quote from rcpilot :This video has been removed by the user.

And if this is a video of LFS in force mode again, I reiterate the point I made earlier. LFS shows a force bar for the drive wheels which can be instantly spotted.

And both FF and FR can intitiate a slide (pretty much identically), but only rwd/awd can truly drift considering you can't continue that slide further than your momentum will carry you. As much as I'm bored by it now, I started out in LFS drifting. I learned there is a lot more to controlling a rwd/awd drift than just putting it into the slide, and that control's just not there in a fwd vehicle.

And please for the love of god will some of you drifters start really racing. You don't know what you're missing when all you're doing is multiplayer hot(drift)lapping. Anything I experienced during my half year or so drifting is nothing compared to the adrenaline rush of a good race. (I get to use my drifting control and about 900% more knowledge than I ever had or would've had while drifting and fight to my absolute limits, it's a bit of a rush.) My main point being that you may feel like you're developing some special skill (I did too back then), but what you're really doing is overdeveloping a minor-subset of a complete racer's skill. The only time you'll see me on a drift server now is when I'm heavily intoxicated, and I'll still drift better than 90% of the people there while having problems walking.

It had remove because of my careless, now, I upload it again
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=6DYI3Im0Cqs

don't talk anything again before you watch this video.
Quote from scania :It had remove because of my careless, now, I upload it again
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=6DYI3Im0Cqs

don't talk anything again before you watch this video.

I'm actually intrigued by how you did that. I'm guessing a horribly set up fwd car, but I know a decent amount about setup and I'm not sure how to pull that off. But as I stated before (drive wheel force bars in force mode), it's obviously the one on the right. This is honestly so far against what I know of vehicle physics that I'm wondering if you've highlighted a problem in the LFS physics engine. (Or maybe my understanding is just incomplete, which is also a definite possibility.)
Quote from rcpilot :I'm actually intrigued by how you did that. I'm guessing a horribly set up fwd car, but I know a decent amount about setup and I'm not sure how to pull that off. But as I stated before (drive wheel force bars in force mode), it's obviously the one on the right.

The right is what?
FF? FR? RR? MR? 4WD?
Quote from scania :The right is what?
FF? FR? RR? MR? 4WD?

FR?

Please try to understand this post (your english doesn't seem all that great which is understandable). Showing LFS in force mode for this comparison is useless, it automatically shows you which wheels are the driven wheels if you know what to look for.
Quote from rcpilot :The only time you'll see me on a drift server now is when I'm heavily intoxicated, and I'll still drift better than 90% of the people there while having problems walking.

OT: Have to agree with this, that's what drift servers are useful for!

Just a little bit of drink or smoke for me and I become dangerous and slow on the track (like i weren't already ). But you can be as high or drunk as you want, as long as you can sit still and keep your eyes open, you can drift
Quote from frokki :OT: Have to agree with this, that's what drift servers are useful for!

Just a little bit of drink or smoke for me and I become dangerous and slow on the track (like i weren't already ). But you can be as high or drunk as you want, as long as you can sit still and keep your eyes open, you can drift

But, more on topic, without the fact that it's easy to spot the driven wheels, I would have a hard time telling the difference between those two. The only fwd weakness was the front wheels occasionally regained traction but the rears were still sliding at those points.

/Edit - No handbrake involved in this? I'm assuming no because I didn't see it in the force bars. Still trying to contemplate the physics of this.
Seems obvious LFS physics arent complete.
FF drifting is still complete rubbish, regardless of that.
Might as well drift a Mini Van
I think with a setup that gives you poor grip at the rear tires, this shouldn't be too hard (haven't tried it tho). Well, we've seen it's possible now.

But can you do a donut with a small radius, around a little object/pole, in the same FF car? I guess not.

But yeah, FF cars can drift... with the right "setup" of course...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CiaQq6u6BY
Quote from jibber :I think with a setup that gives you poor grip at the rear tires, this shouldn't be too hard (haven't tried it tho). Well, we've seen it's possible now.

But can you do a donut with a small radius, around a little object/pole, in the same FF car? I guess not.

But yeah, FF cars can drift... with the right "setup" of course...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CiaQq6u6BY

Top Gear Top Tips
1st. Ya, you can drift with a FF car
2nd. If you want to win, don't use FF to Drift
Quote from scania :
1st. Ya, you can drift with a FF car

In my opinion, you can "fake" it. But drifting needs an RWD car.
Quote from jibber :In my opinion, you can "fake" it. But drifting needs an RWD car.

In my opinion, car can powerside only, but Continental can drift(joke )
Quote :And please for the love of god will some of you drifters start really racing. You don't know what you're missing when all you're doing is multiplayer hot(drift)lapping.

I have to put a +500 to that. I started drifting too. But Patussay (who's here at the forums too) told me to start racing. It was impressive how I started to like racing. My love for close racing now is absolute. Any car, any track, when you race close it doesn't matter.
Here in chile there's a community that race *drifting, like if sliding would help them. Ofcourse, all of them are demos (or at least were, no mor XRT ).
Drifting requires controling the oversteer. Racing requires a lot more than just that.
that means i drift every night since i always end up on the floor of the wrong side of the bed.

i enjoy rallying in real life and having the feeling i am going to be thrown off every other turn, that's racing right?

I do racing in LFS but... i would like to drift(at least twice every week) since it's a good way to goof off and showoff to people. i can hold a slide as long as the list of secret weapons Russia made during the cold war...lol. Can i be called a drifter?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG