The online racing simulator
#1 - Dru
Forced Cockpits on higher servers??
Hi guys,

Just a quick question to the organisers of CTRA.

Has it ever been a consideration to make the higher tier severs (ie Race 2 and above same on SS) to become forced cockpit servers only?

I for one feel this would greatly improve the realism that you guys are striving for and also make for a level playing field.

Cheers,

Dru.
#2 - SamH
There are a couple of reasons for not implementing it, the most significant being that it creates problems for admins who need to review replays. Your view is restricted in Replay mode as well (unless it's changed again in Patch Y) and this makes admin decisions very much more difficult.
#3 - Dru
ah - ok - it something that you can work on them implement then
Also i believe some people get frame rate issues when using cockpit views. Would be quite an issue if i had to stop racing on CTRA because of my pc performance.
#5 - SamH
hehe.. well the 2nd reason is.. why force cockpit view? I use it, and so do most of the people I know, but not everyone uses it. Not everyone races with a G25 either, and some don't even race with a wheel. There are lots of different things to force before forcing this. When considering implementing the forced cockpit view, you first have to ask.. are you doing it because it's necessary, or just because you can?
Yes please
I think this is a good idea too!!
I drive in the cockpit and think it gives an unfair advantage if there are players not in there cockpits as well.
Using the no car veiw and then putting the camera to the back of the car gives you a huge veiwing angle compared to everyone that is in car. You don't have to check your mirrors to see if someone is beside you and you know exactly where your tire is in relation to the kerbs and apexs.

Just my two cents.

PS. I know there will be a few people that will not like me saying this!!!.... You know who you are
Grrr Todd.................. teammate ??? :chairs:

Humm must have a look at your reply again I guess .

I can see Dru point of view on this. But if its 1 car it could be oke. Especially on the SS, but on the road car its different. The view for instances of a FZR is so much different to a FXR. With foring cockpit view only you take away the options of setting your custom view.

I have been driving with cockpit view but recently I switced to tyre view. It sucks up a lot of memory from your graphics card but I can steer more to the point of losing the car. Its given me that extra egde to get a faster lape in.

On FBM for instance you can use it. I think the devs made the cockpit view very good on this on. There I drive with cockpit viewbut like I said in roadcar I always drive with tyre view.
Quote from Toddshooter :I think this is a good idea too!!
I drive in the cockpit and think it gives an unfair advantage if there are players not in there cockpits as well.

That argument works the other way; no one is stopping you from using a view other than the cockpit

Honestly I can't see why I'd want to restrict myself so that only ~60% of my screen is used to display the track I'm trying to race on. If I wanted to have realism I'd be sat in a cockpit, in my room.
Quote from niels1 :Grrr Todd.................. teammate ??? :chairs:

Humm must have a look at your reply again I guess .

I can see Dru point of view on this. But if its 1 car it could be oke. Especially on the SS, but on the road car its different. The view for instances of a FZR is so much different to a FXR. With foring cockpit view only you take away the options of setting your custom view.

I have been driving with cockpit view but recently I switced to tyre view. It sucks up a lot of memory from your graphics card but I can steer more to the point of losing the car. Its given me that extra egde to get a faster lape in.

On FBM for instance you can use it. I think the devs made the cockpit view very good on this on. There I drive with cockpit viewbut like I said in roadcar I always drive with tyre view.

Here I was thinking you were pure like me Niels but your a sinner like another couple on our team
I won't publicly state their names here because I'm not sure they want to come out of the closet like you just did
I applaud your courage to come out and tell the world that you are a non cockpit veiw kind of guy!!!!
Quote from the_angry_angel :That argument works the other way; no one is stopping you from using a view other than the cockpit

Honestly I can't see why I'd want to restrict myself so that only ~60% of my screen is used to display the track I'm trying to race on. If I wanted to have realism I'd be sat in a cockpit, in my room.

I agree with you it could go the other way as well.... it just needs to be forced either way so everyone is on the same veiw. That way nobody has an advantage on the others.
Quote from Toddshooter :Here I was thinking you were pure like me Niels but your a sinner like another couple on our team

Great to hear you drive like a real man Todd, but I'm disappointed to hear you have a few big arcade game playing girlie's on the team. I think you should name and shame all of em
#12 - SamH
Well now, once we've forced everyone into the cockpit, we'll have to block everyone that has a th2g because of the unfair advantage that 3 screens gives them, or ban everyone with TrackIR because they can see more than everyone else. Maybe ban everyone with a clutch pedal because it gives them more control on launch than people with auto clutch enabled. Or maybe ban everyone without a clutch pedal because it gives them an unfair advantage over people who are using their clutch.. where's the line you draw, and once you've drawn it, why is it there and not somewhere else?

Honestly, forced cockpit view isn't coming any time soon
rofl

If i can set the cockpit view up to a natural sight I would. But I use 59 degree on tyre view. Then I can see the road, not the sides. I have to use the side view buttons to look besides me.

If i set the view on dash and use the 59 degree i barly see any mirror. By altering the degrees it gives a weird view wich to me isnt natural. Thats the only reason I use tyre view.
Hey Sam,
no way I can get a wheel at home (except radical solutions like new home without wife and kids...), so I'm stuck with mouse for LFS.
So here is my request
Is there a way to force mouse / kb on some CTRA servers because it seems wheel users have an unfair advantage?
Thanks!

sorry for OT... funny thread
#15 - SamH
Quote from Mille Sabords :Hey Sam,
no way I can get a wheel at home (except radical solutions like new home without wife and kids...), so I'm stuck with mouse for LFS.
So here is my request
Is there a way to force mouse / kb on some CTRA servers because it seems wheel users have an unfair advantage?
Thanks!

sorry for OT... funny thread

ROFL!!
Quote from SamH :Well now, once we've forced everyone into the cockpit, we'll have to block everyone that has a th2g because of the unfair advantage that 3 screens gives them, or ban everyone with TrackIR because they can see more than everyone else. Maybe ban everyone with a clutch pedal because it gives them more control on launch than people with auto clutch enabled. Or maybe ban everyone without a clutch pedal because it gives them an unfair advantage over people who are using their clutch.. where's the line you draw, and once you've drawn it, why is it there and not somewhere else?

Honestly, forced cockpit view isn't coming any time soon

Force it all baby!!
You don't have to worry about all that other stuff Sam, Just worry about what I am concerned with and forget everyone else!!

I am all that matters
#17 - SamH
hehehe!
#18 - Dru
Quote from SamH :hehe.. well the 2nd reason is.. why force cockpit view? I use it, and so do most of the people I know, but not everyone uses it. Not everyone races with a G25 either, and some don't even race with a wheel. There are lots of different things to force before forcing this. When considering implementing the forced cockpit view, you first have to ask.. are you doing it because it's necessary, or just because you can?

PErsonally - I would be in favour of using it as recently I have been on the higher servers and there is lots of 'barging' past - these bargers nearly always have custom view of just front tyres - therefore they know precisely where there car is and like to treat the game as if its NFS or GT
Nooo.

I thought CTRA would be kept clean of this "hardcore realism" nonsense.
#20 - Dru
Quote from zeugnimod :Nooo.

I would not worry about it zeugy

It was not really a discussion point - just a question as too why if there where other things implemented - such as the no auto gears or in prvious versions, throttle blip etc etc if or why forced cockpits had not been adopted..
Quote from zeugnimod :Nooo.

Nonsense to you maybe, but "hardcore realism" as you put it is exactly what many simmers want.

Of the many things said about NetKar Pro, i never heard anyone complain that it only had cockpit view.
Quote from The Moose :Nonsense to you maybe, but "hardcore realism" as you put it is exactly what many simmers want.

Have it then.

But let others use the view they want.
Ok i agree with force cockpit, I use G25, but even back in my demo days im used mouse i used cockpit veiw, get ussed to it and deal, thats what i say!
Quote from Dru :..........................these bargers nearly always have custom view of just front tyres - therefore they know precisely where there car is and like to treat the game as if its NFS or GT

Nope I have set it yp so the wheels are right besides the edge of my screen. I cant see anything besides me. I have to use the buttons for side view.

Quote from Moose :.........................Of the many things said about NetKar Pro, i never heard anyone complain that it only had cockpit view.

I do agree, i would love using the cockpit view like I used to do. But i dont like the onnatural view you get. I cant set it up to get a good view in any mirror without getting a onnatural view.

For now I settle for mine tyre view. Girlie or not , I like the view although i dont have any view to left or right. Only mirror I have is on top wich is needed but not to my liking at all.
Agreed, in events it is something to look at and should be a consideration for the event organisers but its unfair to say to anyone that performs well to get a decent CTRA license that they then are forced to use incar view! As Sam has said, for many reasons you can't segregate that way!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG