The online racing simulator
#1 - t1ger
Qualifying system bugs/requests
Hi all,

I can not keep up with the chatterbox, so please report all bugs and issues and things you don't understand about the new qualifying system in this thread and I will do my best to answer and fix everything

I will keep this post updated as best as I can too.

Current Version: 0.2.18 (dated: 27/09/2011)

Known Issues:
  • None.
Requests:
  • Welcome message to display all qualifying rules, require ACCEPT to be pressed in acknowledgement of the rules. Once shown, do not show again until requested by the racer.
  • Allow more than one server to be used for Qualifying at the same time. NEEDS THOUGHT.
Completed/Fixed
  • Outlaps of exactly 1 hour or more are now classed as outlaps and are ignored [Note: previously it was just laps timed at exactly 1 hour which were classed as outlaps].
  • Laps can now be deducted from a racer at either
    • the end of the lap (meaning a racer can tele-pit just before the line and not lose the lap) OR
    • at the first split (meaning a racer can abort a lap anywhere upto this point, but after that the lap is counted regardless of if they cross the line or not).
    This option can be selected by the race admins.
  • Car information is now recorded.
  • HIDE/OFF/AUTO buttons combined into an easier HIDE function.
    • With the information shown:
      • Pressing the HIDE button will hide the information display.
      • Pressing SHIFT+I will hide the information display.
    • With the information hidden:
      • Pressing SHIFT+I will show the information display.
  • End of Qualifying calculation bug fixed.
  • InSim app correctly handles tcp packets with part LFS packets in.
  • Racers are informed by a message when a lap has been recorded.
  • All votes are immediately cancelled so no-one can restart or end the session.
  • If a racer drives a faster lap with a different car, the car info is now updated correctly.
  • Minor bug fixes.
  • Added request for ISP_HLV packets which allows tracking of HLVC incidents
  • Only HLVC laps are allowed
  • Fixed bug which could cause a racer to be classed as violating HLVC even though they didn't - only occurs where a racer who has violated HLVC leaves the server uncleanly and another racer joins and picks up the same PLID. LFSQual now clears all HLVC events for the PLID when it joins the server, just in case any rogue HLVC events are left behind.
Thanks
Tim
Only one issue. 12 laps limit doesn't work at all. U can always do like this. Go to in lap, drive fast laps as far as u can to see if this would be faster one and if not just shift+p to pits (without crossing the finish line).

Using this "back door" you can try unlimited number of times to make a faster lap.

In general I really like this 12 laps qual system. U need to be really quick and repeatable to make really fast lap in 12 tries.
#3 - t1ger
Quote from Mroziu :Only one issue. 12 laps limit doesn't work at all. U can always do like this. Go to in lap, drive fast laps as far as u can to see if this would be faster one and if not just shift+p to pits (without crossing the finish line).

Using this "back door" you can try unlimited number of times to make a faster lap.

In general I really like this 12 laps qual system. U need to be really quick and repeatable to make really fast lap in 12 tries.

Firstly, I am glad you like it.

Secondly, I really saw this "back door" as a non-issue personally. People can practice off-line as much as they want, so only taking full, complete laps from their total seemed fair. You will only know if you have beaten your time at the point you cross the line, unless you have made a mistake and you are clearly not going to make it.

There is also the argument for actually continuing on regardless - you have warmer tyres and are up to speed and getting into a groove. You might as well continue than pit again and waste more time doing the outlap and then another flying lap!

Anyway, as it happens we have come to a compromise with the next version and this will be to count the lap as Split 1 is crossed. Anytime before Split 1, you may abort the lap. As Split 1 is crossed, the lap is counted regardless of if you actually cross the line and record a time or not. The InSim application (named LFSQual for those interested!) will have the option to chose between Split 1 and End of Lap for when to register a lap and take it from the racers total.

I am coding this at the moment.

Tim
I think that split 1 idea is pretty good
24 laps would be better for me personally
#6 - bozo
I like the 12 lap limit, truely restricted by counting laps as soon as the 1st split is reached (excluding the outlap). My reasons are:
  1. More pressure to perform
  2. More strategic thinking necessary to decide how many laps per qualifying run
I don't think the overall qualifying order will be much different to those achieved with the old qualifying format, but there is potential for some surprises at the individual level - overachievements as well as underachievements.

It will certainly be very interesting to observe how drivers approach the qualifying, and how they perform under pressure as the number of available laps diminish. Armed with LFS Remote, qualifying will become an interesting spectator sport.
#7 - Gil07
I keep getting "IS_BTN - invalid dimensions" errors when I hide the quali menu...
#8 - t1ger
Quote from Gil07 :I keep getting "IS_BTN - invalid dimensions" errors when I hide the quali menu...

Thanks for the report, this has now been fixed in 0.2.6. The server should be back up and running later with the new exe.

The HIDE and OFF/AUTO functions have now been combined into one HIDE function.

With the information shown at the top of the screen:
  • Clicking the HIDE button, will hide the information until it is requested again. It will NOT be shown when the split or lap is crossed.
  • Pressing SHIFT+I will have the same effect as clicking the HIDE button.
With the information hidden:
  • Pressing SHIFT+I will show the information again and it will continue to be shown until such times as it is hidden again.
Thanks
Tim
Quote from t1ger :
[*]Clicking the HIDE button, will hide the information until it is requested again. It will NOT be shown when the split or lap is crossed.

Ah good - I was hoping for this to be implemented! Thanks!
Quote from steel via chatterbox :
It doesn't counts my two best laps. One was 1:32:54 and the other (just before some mins) 1:32:79. What do I have to do now?

Hi Steel,

I have checked and you have started 15 laps but completed only 10. Crossing Split 1 takes the lap from your available laps and it doesn't matter if you finish the lap or not. However, the web site will only show how many laps you have fully completed and set a laptime on.

I also see that you have hidden the information buttons that appear at the top of LFS while you are on the server. These buttons show you exactly how many more times you can cross Split 1.

I hope this answers your question.

Tim
Tim the server didn't record the 1.12.44 time that I did in my mind over the weekend :-)
Quote from t1ger :Hi Steel,

I have checked and you have started 15 laps but completed only 10. Crossing Split 1 takes the lap from your available laps and it doesn't matter if you finish the lap or not. However, the web site will only show how many laps you have fully completed and set a laptime on.

I also see that you have hidden the information buttons that appear at the top of LFS while you are on the server. These buttons show you exactly how many more times you can cross Split 1.

I hope this answers your question.

Tim

Thank you very much, for the info, my friend.

Unfortunately I didn't know that. So, now I realize that I have spent some laps just because I haven't read the forum...

This is my mistake...
Quote from russraine :Tim the server didn't record the 1.12.44 time that I did in my mind over the weekend :-)

I stopped developing the mind reading utility when I found I didn't have a mind to read!

Quote from SteelGandalf :Thank you very much, for the info, my friend.

Unfortunately I didn't know that. So, now I realize that I have spent some laps just because I haven't read the forum...

This is my mistake...

Hi Steel, it is my pleasure and I wish I could give you some laps back for a genuine mistake, but alas, I can not. The rules page on the OLFSL site has been updated with the fact that passing Split 1 takes one of your available laps off, and the information buttons in LFS show you too. I will make a point to make this point even clearer in future so that it can not happen again.

I hope you enjoy this season and don't get caught out again!

Tim
by split 1 do you mean the S/F or the 1st sector?
Quote from BenjiMC :by split 1 do you mean the S/F or the 1st sector?

Split 1 is the first split on the track at the end of the first sector. This is NOT the start/finish line.

On this first track (South City Town Course), the first split is at around 31-35 seconds into the lap (depending upon your laptime).

Tim
30 Okay then, so as i understand it the system doesn't count your first crossing over the split?
You are clearly much faster than I, as I can not get around to there (in this car) in less than 32.24

Anyway, yes, the first time you cross split 1 after you have left the pits (when LFS does not give you a split time) is NOT counted by the system. This is your outlap, and is therefore not counted.

The sequence of events is as follows:

Normal completed lap:
  • Leave pits.
  • Cross split 1 - not counted as this is your outlap.
  • Cross start finish line - LFS starts timing your lap.
  • Cross split 1 - LFS times you and our Qualifying system takes one lap from your available laps.
  • Cross start finish line - LFS gives you a lap time and our Qualifying system updates your fastest lap time (if you have been quicker).
Aborted lap example 1:
  • Leave pits.
  • Abort lap before split 1 - your lap count is not affected.
Aborted lap example 2:
  • Leave pits.
  • Cross split 1 - LFS times you and our Qualifying system takes one lap from your available laps.
  • Abort lap before crossing start finish line - you can not improve your laptime, but you now have one less lap with which to qualify.
Tim
i see, thanks for that. Thats how i thought it worked but i was confused by one of your posts so just wanted to make sure
I suppose that this (method of lap counter) is going to be the same to all the championship circuits.

Am I right?

So in the future I'll be more careful.
Quote from BenjiMC :i see, thanks for that. Thats how i thought it worked but i was confused by one of your posts so just wanted to make sure

I am sorry about that, I try to make my posts as clear and consice as possible to avoid such confusion, but sometimes I end up making them too long and complicated which makes them even more confusing :S

Quote from SteelGandalf :I suppose that this (method of lap counter) is going to be the same to all the championship circuits.

Am I right?

So in the future I'll be more careful.

Yes, this entire season for us will be run using this Qualifying routine. Thanks for your understanding.

Tim
Hello,

Is there a way to see the car used for qualify session for event 2 ?
Quote from lagamel :Hello,

Is there a way to see the car used for qualify session for event 2 ?

The qualifying server knows which car you have used and the database stores this. However, the web page which displays the current standings does not show it.

I, unfortunately, do not have access to the server that this web page is served from so I will have to speak to S.Varjonen to get him to add it.

Thanks
Tim
Thanks a lot for the reply
Quote from lagamel :Thanks a lot for the reply

No problem, and even better than that, the page now shows the car used. Thank you for pointing it out!

Tim
Is there a way of managing my team? for instance: I need to remove two members of the team before the grids go up tomorrow.

How can i do this?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG