The online racing simulator
More variants of existing models
Most road cars available, as we all know, have several options of engine and so-on. I was thinking that few LFS cars have this, and variants of existing cars with bigger or smaller engines could add some diversity to already existing cars. The only car that has multiple versions (non-GTR here) is the XR.

I'd really be grateful for any one of them, I really would - in fact I'm very grateful for anything new in LFS. Adding new cars based on the current models would be less work for Eric and Scawen, but still new cars.

So here's some ideas I've thought of - any numbers are just vagueish and not all of them particularly based on any real car, so some of them may be rather zany. Yes, some would have the same drive types as others in the class but one is heavier and more powerful or lighter but less powerful.

Rivals for the UF1

XF Basic - XFB

Basically, a 1 litre XFG like a basic Clio/Saxo. A rival for the UF1 would be good.

FR rivals

UF 1300 - UF3

UF1, but with a 1300cc engine pushing out 80 hp. Tipping the scales at around 640, less powerful but lighter than the XFG and XRG.

FXO 2.0 - FX2

Like the 2L NA Calibra/ an FXO with the turbo unbolted. Similar numbers to the XFG, but its larger length makes it a little more stable but a little less agile. The boat of the FR class.

TBO rivals

XF TDI - XFT

Yes, a diesel. Don't crucify me. Please. It's an XF, but with a 2 litre (?) TDI unit. Similar principle to the UF3 - similar power to weight ratio.

Homeless gnomes (NOT a new class, just standalone)

FZ Three - FZ3

Like the 911 GT3 - a 415hp semi-track FZ.

FZ Turbo - FZT

A 480hp, 911 Turbo-style monster.

FZ Two - FZ2

A 530hp supercar similar to the 911 GT2. However, due to the treaded tyres it won't worry the GTRs in the slightest.

Just running an idea up the flagpole
Three more versions of FZ? We already have two and imho one more is more than enough. And XRT diesel? Xrt is supposed to be mid to late 80s sporty car, diesels at that time were used in trains. (or in volvos). And NA FXO? Again, why not totally new car? I thought TBO was already fine with the current cars. Adding another fwd with just different engine, why?

Rival for the UF1 might be good idea but it could be as well an rwd car. Just make the UF1 a proper historics racers with true 60s look and then put it against some 60s rwd low hp "car". Just another fwd XFG would be a bit lazy.

Why not LX8, two or three hi-power racing orientated "supercars" with some true character, like Ferrari F40, Porsche 959 (and TVR Cerbera Speed 12 ), a mid-engine rwd GTR competitor and a formula ford? Or even racing prototypes or something totally nasty above the current GTRs? And an rwd competitor for the fwd GTRs along with a proper UFR. And I didn't even mention historic racing cars nor american muscle...

There's my wishlist and it doesn't include a single XR, XF, FX or UF replica

But another FXO or XRT, why? And as a diesel, oh god heavens
Meh, I'd rather have new and original vehicles than the same old recycled model with small changes. Not that I wouldn't be thankful for new car variations, but...

Anyway, the IMO only cars worth adding from a short-time perspective are a RWD XFR/UFR competitor and maybe a stockcar like thingy, just something with slicks, little downforce, heavy weight and a silly amount of power.

The often suggested WRC type car wouldn't make too much sense, considering the lack of a rally environment and proper surface simulation. Karts wouldn't make any sense either, as the tyre physics are too lacking and more importantly body flex completely missing.
#4 - Woz
-1 for more versions of the same cars.

+1 more NEW cars
New everything :up: We have 3 XR variants and two variants of pretty much everything else, except for open-wheelers and the sodding RB4, which sorely needs a 300+hp version to make rallyX a bit more interesting

Anyway, before any new cars I'd much prefer new tracks - instead of adding bits to existing tracks
I would pay for a diesel version of the XF GTi (XF GTD)
Quote from danowat :I would pay for a diesel version of the XF GTi (XF GTD)

+1! A 2.0 diesel turbo in the XFG must be fun
+1 for new cars
or..
new class : GTS
cars between stock and GTR with tuning (ofcourse i think about new wheels and spoilers with downforce, not neons and other sh...)
350HP with all tires in lfs (hybrids and rally, normals, supers and slicks) and in RWD you can change steer degree to 45* (YEP, FOR DRIFTERS, because this isn't stock car)
i think about cars like in touge battles in V-Options, but from lfs.
Any chance I could try those files?
#12 - Vain
I'll use this topic to drop a thought on the existing cars that I came up with patch Y:
Before patch Y we could never quite settle on wether the roadcars are racecars or not. One faction drove the same cars on cruise-servers, pretending to drive completely stock every-day vehicles and the others drove them in racing championships, using them as if they were proper race cars.
By now LFS has reached such a degree of detail that it can't keep both interpretations up. We have different sorts of gearboxes for the roadcars, different clutches, no F11-menu and different rev-limiter-characteristics.
That means that, especially if this trend continues, LFS is in serious need of club-style race cars. Most racecars aren't XFR-style cup-vehicles or FZR-style GT-monsters. Most racecars are every-day XRTs with 200kg of interior stripped from them, a new engine mapping, a roll cage and new extra-few-tread tyres, along the lines of Kumho ECSTA V 70 A or something similarly road-legal but not useful in the wet, on them.
So I conclude LFS should introduce race-car variations of the existing roadcars.

Then, along the way the roadcars could be fitted with proper stats and setuprestrictions. I still don't think the XRT should get 245 bhp from 2.0 litre. The Starion got 180 bhp from 2.0 litre. So either our version is a racing-version, in which case there is no reason for second seat, the lack of a roll-cage and the removal of the F11-settings or this is a road-version with wrong power-figures.

Basically, what I'm saying is that we're driving cars that were designed for the demo years ago. LFS has changed a lot and we need cars that fit into LFS's reality of today. We need club-style race cars, we need touring cars, we need everyday road cars.

Vain
Quote from Vain :<snip>

I agree.

The current road cars have too much setupability. I'd like to see it limited to tyre pressure and a few other little bits that could be done. But on the flip side of that, have the stripped, chipped and caged variants of the same with some more adjustability, as you said. Not like a full blown GTR car which is probably a purpose built racing car, but a track day car.

However, I don't think all the HP figures are wrong, the Vauxhall Calibra produced similar power levels to the FXO, but was about 30kg heavier.
I'd prefer more variations of the underused cars. I'm gonna bring up the LX8, RBR and RAC GTR again

No more XRs for now, please!
Quote from Dajmin :

No more XRs for now, please!

I didn't post any XRs, although I did post two new XFs and THREE new FZs. With hindsight, my list was overkill.
Thanks, I'll have a go. Should be rather interesting to drive.
Quote from _--NZ--_[HUN] :I played with LFS-Tune and the sound editor:
XFG diesel test video

Full res. version: http://mastersofreality.uw.hu/XFG-diesel_test.avi

All I hear is the co-driver in that vid...

Quote from Vain :...

By now LFS has reached such a degree of detail that it can't keep both interpretations up. We have different sorts of gearboxes for the roadcars, different clutches, no F11-menu and different rev-limiter-characteristics.

All that was added was rev limiters and clutch heat. I haven't really driven much LFS lately but I'd guess that flatshifting etc. is still the norm and fastest way to go around tracks. Maybe I've missed something but the gearboxes haven't changed in Y patch at all (in road cars) .

Quote from Vain :That means that, especially if this trend continues, LFS is in serious need of club-style race cars. Most racecars aren't XFR-style cup-vehicles or FZR-style GT-monsters. Most racecars are every-day XRTs with 200kg of interior stripped from them, a new engine mapping, a roll cage and new extra-few-tread tyres, along the lines of Kumho ECSTA V 70 A or something similarly road-legal but not useful in the wet, on them.
So I conclude LFS should introduce race-car variations of the existing roadcars.

Heh, again I come here with my opinion that there is no point to have two 90% identical versions of roadcars in LFS. Imho, the best choise would be to make the current LFS road cars into proper track day cars that are built to do some racing. If the cars were supposed to be more than 10% different, make new cars instead of clones of what we already have .

Quote from Vain :Then, along the way the roadcars could be fitted with proper stats and setuprestrictions. I still don't think the XRT should get 245 bhp from 2.0 litre. The Starion got 180 bhp from 2.0 litre. So either our version is a racing-version, in which case there is no reason for second seat, the lack of a roll-cage and the removal of the F11-settings or this is a road-version with wrong power-figures.

Basically, what I'm saying is that we're driving cars that were designed for the demo years ago. LFS has changed a lot and we need cars that fit into LFS's reality of today. We need club-style race cars, we need touring cars, we need everyday road cars.

Vain

I agree. But why not simply make the current road cars into more believable race-able track day modified cars. No sequental transmissions or ground up built race cars with XRT body bolted on a tube frame. It is all about setup limitations, few lines of text in the setup window in LFS and better cockpit 3d&textures.
IMO, we dont need more variations of existing cars. Considering the kind of leagues out there, I think it would be more than justified to add LMP style prototypes and stock cars.
XFR/UFR RWD Competitor +1.
MR GTR (RACR) +1.
LMP (Open/Closed/80's/90's/00's Just Please) +1

And to the OP: FZ50 already is based off the prior GT3's specs.
Quote from BurnOut69 :IMO, we dont need more variations of existing cars. Considering the kind of leagues out there, I think it would be more than justified to add LMP style prototypes and stock cars.

I know, but these cars would not be much work (heck, the 3D would probably be identical or just slightly more/less beefy for some cars) for the devs.

Quote from srdsprinter :And to the OP: FZ50 already is based off the prior GT3's specs.

D'oh.

A FX2 (FXO with the turbo unbolted) would be a good rival for the FR cars - it would be a good car for a circuit like Westhill due to its longer wheelbase but at somewhere like South City it would really suffer.

Think of F1 last year (Futureproofing : 2007) - the Ferrari had a design philosophy that suited faster corners, like the ones that you find at circuits like Spa. Part of this was a longer wheelbase, and also the aero package was more designed for those tracks. Exclude Monza, as since the castration of H-heim the low downforce aero package only gets unleashed once a year. And also it's bumpy, which suits the McLaren, and some of the corners - read - the chicanes are rather slow.

On the flip side, McLaren had a shorter wheelbase, which favoured tracks like Monaco and Monza but was hopeless at Spa.

Similar deal but on the other side with the XF TDI - with a 2 litre (or so) TDI unit it would be a smaller wheelbase than the other TBOs. But it would also be lighter and less powerful.

The XFB would be a heavier but more powerful rival to the UF1 (and with a slightly longer wheelbase) and the UF3 would be a rival to the XFG/XRG, but lighter. Of course, it would be less powerful.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG