The online racing simulator
Disassembling Logitech G25
(36 posts, started )
#1 - intgr
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has successfully disassembled their G25?

Yesterday a bunch of kids were playing on mine and now it squeaks lightly when turning in one direction, so I figured I'd take it apart and see if it needed some oil.

I undid all the screws underneath, so that the underside budges by a centimeter or so without using any force, but not further; there's not enough space to see what's holding it together. Any advice?

I tried searching for instructions on Google and on the forum, but came up with nothing.
Attached images
g25_diassembling.jpg
erm... can you remove the clamps too? try unscrewing them, maybe that's what still holds it together.

greetz

der butz
#3 - intgr
No, when I turn the clamp screws any further they'll just start to push the base further. The clamps aren't restricting the movement of the upper and lower pieces.
try removing the wheel with an allen key see if theres anything there hidden, if its anything like some cowling's on cars it will be fun mate!

after that make sure there are no blanking plugs left around it, from experience it will most likely have parts connected to the bottom as well as the top so try disconnecting a few things, ive never done a games wheel so thats all i can do!
#5 - intgr
Yeah, the wheel was actually the only thing holding the top cover still on -- doh!
I've successfully opened it now.
Bye bye Warranty!
intgr

Can you post some more pictures of the insides of the wheel. Im interested on how the thing is designed but dont want to take my wheel apart - cheers

bolders
Quote from bolders :intgr

Can you post some more pictures of the insides of the wheel. Im interested on how the thing is designed but dont want to take my wheel apart - cheers

bolders

Here's one
Quote from The General Lee :Bye bye Warranty!

How would they figure out if it was opened? Is there a sticker that keeps the 2 pieces together and if its broken its no good?
thanks eza
Quote from scoobyrbac :How would they figure out if it was opened? Is there a sticker that keeps the 2 pieces together and if its broken its no good?

A lot of devices do have these stickers, but there was nothing of the sort inside the G25. So I figure they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Quote from intgr :So I figure they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

No worries - I fixed that for you. The URL's on its way to Logitech's tech support. Good thing the S/N was visible in the photos you uploaded.
#14 - Jakg
What about the old black screw trick?

Put a thin layer of paint on the screws, as you turn them to open it up the paint comes off, if the screws show metal you can tell it's been opened.
Quote from xaotik :The URL's on its way to Logitech's tech support.

I hope you're kidding.
Quote from Jakg :What about the old black screw trick?

Put a thin layer of paint on the screws, as you turn them to open it up the paint comes off, if the screws show metal you can tell it's been opened.

Believe it or not, thats the technique they use on most the main screws of the shifter, wheel and pedals. When my first one got sent away, i had took the wheel off in the past and scratched some of the paint off. When they received the broken wheel, they rang me up personally and asked whether the wheel had been opened before in anyway. I lied and said no () and luckily for me, they were'nt asking this because of the metal showing, but out of general security so they would'nt have guessed

Unfortunately for intgr, when he does send his away for replacement/repair whenever it breaks, if the guy knows what he is doing, he will be able to tell whether the wheel has been opened or not, so as TGL said, "bye bye warranty!"
And I was thinking of modding the shifter!

Better then just let it it be shite, break and do something else than play LFS in the meantime while it travels to Logitech and back
Thanks for the tip, I'll re-paint the screw heads if I ever need to send it back for repairs.
Quote from intgr :Thanks for the tip, I'll re-paint the screw heads if I ever need to send it back for repairs.

I suspose you could try, but it would have to be good. And seing as xoatik has sent the link of those images to logitech, it seems your warranty is going anyway
Quote from frokki :And I was thinking of modding the shifter!

Better then just let it it be shite, break and do something else than play LFS in the meantime while it travels to Logitech and back

You could still do it.

A little tip: When undoing the bolts, put one layer off kitched paper towel (if you dont know what it is, i mean this) over the end of the alan key, and then GENTLY undo the bolts. Then when your all done, GENTLY do them back up again, but dont try and force it round in a circular motion. Press the alan key down on the bolt, and tap the end of the alan key with the palm of your hand.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I suspose you could try, but it would have to be good.

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be easy.

Quote from Nathan_French_14 :And seing as xoatik has sent the link of those images to logitech, it seems your warranty is going anyway

I wouldn't bet on that. You can only see component numbers, not serial numbers, anyway.
All he is doing is demonstrating what sort of an *sshole he can be. (Does he expect me to return the wheel and wait another month, just to get rid of a subtle squeak!?)
So did you manage to get rid of the squeak? which part did you oil?
I'm having the same squeaky problem and it seems to be getting worse.
Probably the bearings, I'd guess.
This may be a dumb question... but on the 'paint on screw trick'. Wouldnt the manufacturer have to remove the screw to see if paint is missing from it? and of course, if they remove the screw... then wouldnt it have removed the paint in the process?

(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG