The online racing simulator
Is modifying the models for this game possible?
I am just wondering or is it just so difficult noone's ever bothered with this. because it seems like you can skin your cars, so why are you not able to modify the models?
No, you can't.
Quote from atlantian :I am just wondering or is it just so difficult noone's ever bothered with this. because it seems like you can skin your cars, so why are you not able to modify the models?

buy s2 and i teach you how
________
Harley-Davidson Flhr
I'll buy LFS when i get the money, but i spent it on my controller...

but has anyone try to hack or degenerate the game? the source code is on the main website...

and i assume that the car directory is in the data folder and it's easily readable without heavy encryption, other wise the game would lag a whole ton...

If i developed the game, i would make this aspect easily modable, and then when people come out with replicas of real cars and track, the respective owners of the cars and tracks can't sue me for making their car/track without their permission!
#5 - Jakg
Quote from atlantian :but has anyone try to hack or degenerate the game? the source code is on the main website...

No it's not. And yes it is possible, but no-one has released it and no-one will tell you how.
#6 - joen
her-whoops, nevermind... i thought that the programmer files where the source codes...

Hm.... it's kinda stupid that people would go through all that trouble to get a file opener for the directory and be able to mod it but never bother to share it... yes, i am just saying this because i don't have the skills to do this my self but, at the same time, why not make it so that yo ucan openly mod this game? you hear requests for real cars and real tracks all the time, one simple act of releasing the directory viewer and a "translator" for the model and skin files into the public and, you would get tons of new cars, and new tracks, even Laguna seca, Nurburg, and maybe even the top gear test track (copied from google earth)...
#8 - joen
Quote from atlantian :Hm.... it's kinda stupid that people would go through all that trouble to get a file opener for the directory and be able to mod it but never bother to share it...

They don't share it because it is against the wishes of the developers not because they can't be bothered.
Anyway, if it would or could be as simple as you describe it would have happened already. This has been discussed many many times already. It has a lot of cons and not just pros.
admit it, you are not playing LFS because of the AMAZINGLY SEXY CARZ! this game is good for it's physics. it's amazing, and i think that the devs would be making money on the great engine of this game.

There is practically no cons... besides hassle, the community did stuff with gta, infact, no, not just stuff, there are a lot of full conversions floating around. I think that, the mods would not at all hurt the sales of LFS.
#10 - joen
I don't care much about brands and copies of RL cars. Not even about how the cars look.
There are cons. Like version hell, a lot of crap mods, scattering of players over too much mods, etc.
Read up on older threads about modding.
I didn't mention anything about sales.
If (I want to stress the if) there's going to be open modding in LFS it's not going to be before S3, you can be sure about that.
This is the way i see it:

Pros: Modding would open up a new section to LFS. With people making new cars and tracks, it may pursuade more people to buy a LFS licence. It could open up new leagues, championships etc, and could een help get LFS more well known.

Cons: Some of the mods may be utter rubbish. It happens everywhere. GTA:SA has some pretty poor user mods, and so does racer. Also, it could fuse arguments and tension between players here on the forums, with even some veterans in the previous thread that discussed this saying that they would most likely leave LFS for good if modding was introduced. Also, there may be alot of complaints. Lets say someone makes a car or track, there will be some people on here (there usually losers who expect a game to be EXACTLY like real and cant grasp the fact thats not possible (yet)) who would complaing saying things like "this track does'nt have the same corner angle as in real" or "this car does'nt handle like it does in real" etc. etc.

As joen has said above, if modding was introduced into LFS, it would most likely going to be after S3, which is suposedly at least a year or two or more away yet.

The only way i could ever see getting around crappy mods entering LFS would be either

a) let the developers pick a bunch of good programmers, modellers etc to make mods like tracks, cars etc.

or

b) Before a mod is realesed, it has to be authorised by either the dev's or one dev or a moderator.

Thats the way i see it anyway, although to be honest (and this is not me being sour), i dont think modding will ever be allowed into LFS as the devs have one goal and thats to create the most realistic race sim. I doubt they would want to mess around with mod's etc while in the progress and/or finishing stages of making this game.

Oh and to answer your question atlantian, making your own cars for LFS is possible (there has been a Mazda 787b and a ferrari F40 put into the game before) but its very very hard, and requires alot of skill and hard work.

Frenchy

p.s If any of this post is wrong, stupid or just plain weird, just ignore it. Im very tired
sooo... crap mods, that's it?

yes the dev wants the game to be as real as possible. but then again, there is LFSTweak, isn't there the potential of rediculous cars with that tool???
#13 - Gunn
Quote from atlantian :admit it, you are not playing LFS because of the AMAZINGLY SEXY CARZ!

Correct, so there is no need to change the cars.

One of the best things about LFS is that it isn't full of half-arsed shit models and tracks made by wannabe modelers, like a lot of other games are.

Quote from atlantian :sooo... crap mods, that's it?

yes the dev wants the game to be as real as possible. but then again, there is LFSTweak, isn't there the potential of rediculous cars with that tool???

LFS Tweak is not an official mod, and it is only tolerated because it has limits and does not interfere with the online racing in LFS.
#14 - 5haz
Quote from Gunn :

One of the best things about LFS is that it isn't full of half-arsed shit models and tracks made by wannabe modelers, like a lot of other games are.

LFS Tweak is not an official mod, and it is only tolerated because it has limits and does not interfere with the online racing in LFS.

I agree with Nathan that the tools to mod the game could be given to a select group of people who can be trusted to do a good job with it.

LFS is awfully nice, but in the long run, lack of moddability will hurt sales IMO, just look at GPL for example, still going strong 7 years later because it is customisable, but with GPL it is very difficult to customise, and so only people who know what they are doing get to mod the game, leading to very impressive mods and tracks that have expanded the game far beyond its original limits, to the extent that copies are still being sold today.

Perhaps, maybe with or after the release of S3, I really do think that eventually, lack of the ability to expand LFS will turn people away. It all seems unusually strict, people get massacred for accidentaly driving with private skins here too ive just found Im pretty new to this community and perhaps these kinds of attitudes could have as damaging an effect on LFS's reputation as an excess of poor mods would.

Ill probrably get slagged off for this, it seems that from the previous posts in this thread, any kind of suggestion of this kind of thing is met with strong opposition.

Im not to bothered about modding now, but after S3 would be nice, then LFS would probrably be as complete as it ever will be by then, and at that point several years in the future it would be nice to introduce modding, I remember GPL not strting to be modded until around 2000.

Im perfectly happy to wait a few years for modding to be allowed, but I will be very dissapointed if modding is never allowed, and eventually id probrably turn my back on LFS after id discovered everything that it had to offer, and im sure many other people would too.

I sometimes do feel that some organisations (and this isncludes several other sims), end up severely limiting a sims capbilities when it has much more potential, a prominent example of this being N2003, which now, unsurisingly, has now been abandoned by a large number of people, including myself.

Joe
no mod needs to be "official".

so along with the ability to fully mod stuff, you just set limits to how much hp a car joining the race can attain, and how big his engine is ect,ect. and you can use the "stock cars" in the lfs garage if you want an even ground. it's a community, people are going to rate and recommend or degrade stuff, it may go slow at first, but it's a good tradeoff to have even more cars. besides, only the fittest survives? right? a mod goes through a community, some get recommended, some just dissapear, just like evolution, you kill off all those crap mods, you WILL get good ones.
Quote from atlantian :
There is practically no cons... besides hassle,

I'll tell you the biggest con that a solution will be hard to find for; online play. I can be online in a server sitting in the pits within seconds in LFS.

If there were mods I'd have to go source the correct version of the mod because mines out of date at version 0.102.2049 and then source the track which there are probably millions of different half-arsed conversions...

Last time I tried rFactor online I got so fed up trying to find the stuff I needed I gave up...

Not only will the mods take away the quick, easy online play they will most likely seriously divide the community.
what about counter strike?
#18 - Gunn
Quote from 5haz :... just look at GPL for example, still going strong 7 years later because it is customisable, but with GPL it is very difficult to customise, and so only people who know what they are doing get to mod the game, leading to very impressive mods and tracks that have expanded the game far beyond its original limits, to the extent that copies are still being sold today..

For all the good stuff available for GPL there is a mountain of absolute rubbish out there too. Plenty of mods have been made for GPL by people who have no talent at all or have no patience to do the job properly. Furthermore GPL is abandoned by its devs and is available for FREE. It isn't going so strongly at all. GPL is an old game that has benefited from modern modding techniques and ideas, there's a contrast there that makes a high impact. I've wasted time downloading plenty of tracks for GPL that are terrible examples of modding.
LFS is a much better sim all around than GPL was and is. GPL has much less scope than LFS and has more to gain from modding than LFS does. LFS has a lot of scope already. There's no comparison.
#19 - Gunn
Quote from atlantian :what about counter strike?

At its peak CS had an average of 60 000 players per hour online. With that many players it's easy to find a bunch of people with common interests. No other game has ever enjoyed that much popularity and probably never will. Besides, CS mods attracted millions of ten year old brats who spoiled online games constantly.
#20 - 5haz
Quote from Gunn :For all the good stuff available for GPL there is a mountain of absolute rubbish out there too. Plenty of mods have been made for GPL by people who have no talent at all or have no patience to do the job properly. Furthermore GPL is abandoned by its devs and is available for FREE. It isn't going so strongly at all. GPL is an old game that has benefited from modern modding techniques and ideas, there's a contrast there that makes a high impact. I've wasted time downloading plenty of tracks for GPL that are terrible examples of modding.
LFS is a much better sim all around than GPL was and is. GPL has much less scope than LFS and has more to gain from modding than LFS does. LFS has a lot of scope already. There's no comparison.

I dont think there is a mountain of complete rubbish, yes there are some rather poor tracks, but they have been specially categorised on some download sites such as GPL++, the 'alternatve GPL track database' also has a rating system and comments from the site owner (i think?), which helps greatly in avoiding the crap tracks, by looking at ratings before downloading, i very rarely waste my time downloading rubbish tracks.

GPL is NOT free, yes there is a 2004 demo available, but this only has one track, Watkins Glen and requires a full version for it to be installed onto in order to get the full game, i do not know of any other place where any 'full' version can be downloaded, I beleive a games company which i will not name still sells GPL, and i hear of many people on GPL forums who have recently bought.

Yes LFS is a much better sim all around and has more scope, but i fear its scope will be limited by the fact that moding looks very unlikely to ever be allowed, which will kill it off just like N2003 was killed, and that had several fantastic mods in the making that ended up being cancelled due to a ban on modding.

Again i stress, modding can come after S3, just please introduce modding, i dont care when. I just want to know yes or no.

Joe
#21 - Gunn
Quote from 5haz :I dont think there is a mountain of complete rubbish, yes there are some rather poor tracks, but they have been specially categorised on some download sites such as GPL++.

GPL is NOT free, yes there is a 2004 demo available, but this only has one track, Watkins Glen and requires a full version for it to be installed onto in order to get the full game, i do not know of any other place where any 'full' version can be downloaded, I beleive a games company which i will not name still sells GPL, and i hear of many people on GPL forums who have recently bought.

Yes LFS is a much better sim all around and has more scope, sadly its scope is being limited by the fact that moding looks very unlikely to ever be allowed, which will kill it off just like N2003 was killed, and that had several fantastic mods in the making that ended up being cancelled due to a ban on modding.

Again i stress, modding can come after S3, just please introduce modding, i dont care when.

Joe

The 2004 demo is a full working game. Any tracks can be injected into it, including the freely available original tracks. A full working version is not required. I have an original version and without installing it I was able to simply drag and drop the content into the demo and it all works flawlessly.
Quote from Gunn :The 2004 demo is a full working game. Any tracks can be injected into it, including the freely available original tracks. A full working version is not required. I have an original version and without installing it I was able to simply drag and drop the content into the demo and it all works flawlessly.

cracker :hide:
#23 - 5haz
Quote from Gunn :The 2004 demo is a full working game. Any tracks can be injected into it, including the freely available original tracks. A full working version is not required. I have an original version and without installing it I was able to simply drag and drop the content into the demo and it all works flawlessly.

Are the standard tracks freely available?? I remember on the GPL++ website there being mention of the standard tracks in tracklists but no download link, beides its probrably frowned upon, im sure ive seen posts over on RSC about this matter many yeras ago, but thast a different matter. Anyway, this is an LFS forum and im going on about GPL! im sorry for going of topic.

What i want to say is that it would be great to have modding introduced, but moderated carefully Also LFS hasnt reached its full development yet, and we dont want an rFactor type situation where 2 mods work with realfeel and all the others are having to be updated constantly to new standards, i think there is no reason not to introduce modding after LFS has reached its final development.

Joe
Quote from 5haz :

It all seems unusually strict, people get massacred for accidentaly driving with private skins here too ive just found Im pretty new to this community and perhaps these kinds of attitudes could have as damaging an effect on LFS's reputation as an excess of poor mods would.

How about you spend 2-5 hours designing a skin, then see someone use it without permission. See how irate it makes you feel. :rolleyes:
Quote from Gunn :
LFS is a much better sim all around than GPL was and is..... There's no comparison.

Only because there is little chance to actually make a comparison. It would be very interesting to see a 67 lotus modelled in LFS, but then again if the Cortina mod ever comes out it will be a test for me to see if LFS still holds my interest.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG