The online racing simulator
Difrential questions
(5 posts, started )
Difrential questions
Im having some questions

Espacialy about the difrentials,
you can schoose form varaiyati of difs (sorry if spelling bad)

My question wich are best vor rrear wheel drive cars
I use Driving Force pro

And also for the GTR cars like XRR FXR and FZR

can somebuddy tel me difrence advantages and the drawbags of the difrent types of difs

Greets Chris
#2 - Iron
"Differential - There are several different types of differential. Locked, open, clutch pack LSD, viscous LSD
Locked differential - Both wheels rotate at the same speed in all situations. In general this gives 100% power to the road, with the drawbacks of corner entry (lift off) understeer, and corner exit (power on) oversteer.
Open differential - Each wheel is free to rotate independently. In general this gives corner entry oversteer, and corner exit understeer.
Clutch pack LSD - The power setting controls how much locking percentage is applied when power is being transmitted from the engine. The coast setting controls how much locking percentage is applied when the engine is producing a braking effect. The preload specifies the minimum torque difference between the two wheels required for them to rotate independently. A setting such as 800 Nm therefore results in the differential behaving like a locked differential in most situations.
Viscous LSD - The higher the setting, the stronger the relationship is between the two driven wheels."

Taken from http://www.my3id.com/gaming/lfs/setups/help
#4 - axus
Here's some info on clutch packs, open diffs and locked diffs.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=35229

As for viscous coupling, the way that works is that there are two "propellors" coming from each wheel in a box of high viscousity oil (similar to the stuff used in automatic gearboxes) as well as the normal open differential connection. The higher the viscousity of the oil, the more like a locked diff it will behave - meaning that the wheels will tend to equal equal speed rather than equal force and thus a greater force on the outside wheel. This gives you more yaw torque (torque causing the car to rotate into the corner, if it's too little you will understeer, if it's too much you will oversteer). Also, at low (driveshaft) speeds, the diff behaves more like an open diff and at higher speeds it behaves more like a locked diff because of the nature of the connection.
Quote from DaveWS :"Differential - There are several different types of differential. Locked, open, clutch pack LSD, viscous LSD
Locked differential - Both wheels rotate at the same speed in all situations. In general this gives 100% power to the road, with the drawbacks of corner entry (lift off) understeer, and corner exit (power on) oversteer.
Open differential - Each wheel is free to rotate independently. In general this gives corner entry oversteer, and corner exit understeer.
Clutch pack LSD - The power setting controls how much locking percentage is applied when power is being transmitted from the engine. The coast setting controls how much locking percentage is applied when the engine is producing a braking effect. The preload specifies the minimum torque difference between the two wheels required for them to rotate independently. A setting such as 800 Nm therefore results in the differential behaving like a locked differential in most situations.
Viscous LSD - The higher the setting, the stronger the relationship is between the two driven wheels."

Taken from http://www.my3id.com/gaming/lfs/setups/help

Thanks you even car lover that aint realy into specs can iunderstand me so in short ME

It wil also help me out with the rest of car thankyou so much im goin top tes this i practice sessions plus Ai drivers

Quote from axus :Here's some info on clutch packs, open diffs and locked diffs.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=35229

As for viscous coupling, the way that works is that there are two "propellors" coming from each wheel in a box of high viscousity oil (similar to the stuff used in automatic gearboxes) as well as the normal open differential connection. The higher the viscousity of the oil, the more like a locked diff it will behave - meaning that the wheels will tend to equal equal speed rather than equal force and thus a greater force on the outside wheel. This gives you more yaw torque (torque causing the car to rotate into the corner, if it's too little you will understeer, if it's too much you will oversteer). Also, at low (driveshaft) speeds, the diff behaves more like an open diff and at higher speeds it behaves more like a locked diff because of the nature of the connection.

Bit To macanical buts til helpful to predict what difernses in sets may cause

Difrential questions
(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG