The online racing simulator
NASCAR 08 in "Good Game" Shocker!
(9 posts, started )
#1 - TiJay
I picked up NASCAR 08 on Playstation 3 yesterday as the box promised decent physics, the graphics seemed good and I don't want to fire up the PC just to play a NASCAR game.

And I was pleasantly surprised.

LONG POST AHEAD, skip to the bits you care about

Of course, Youtube is full of the usual elitist characters claiming that NASCAR 08 is crap compared to NR2003, even though they haven't played EA's latest offering. I'll admit that the previous EA NASCAR titles were pretty poor but believe me, this next gen version is something different.

Even though I was playing with the gamepad, the controls are precise and the physics seemed very close to NR2003. For example, with the aids off you can reach the limits of grip and correct or use oversteer without an ISI-style canned spin- and when you go beyond the limit, you spin out just like you did in the Papyrus sim. Also, apply too much throttle out of a turn or lock up the wheels on the way in and you'll probably find yourself facing the other way if you don't correct it.

Graphics-wise, the game looks incredibly like NR2003 with the addition of some bump-mapping and the excellent lighting and shadows found in every PS3 game. However, I've come to expect better textures than I found here (with the exception of the asphalt) and the lack of AA is a real bitch. Slightly worrying also is the fact that if you took away the shiny lighting effects, NASCAR 08's Infineon would look worse than GT4's.

Gameplay consists of the usual season and quick race modes as well as a career which is a series of licence tests, challenges and finally a season of races. So, good for the casual gamer or sim-racer but bad for the fanboys who want to spend their career mode in menu screens managing sponsors and using "Total Team Control" or whatever extraneous stuff was in the previous versions.

And obviously all the tracks, cars and drivers are in there as well as trucks and the Car of Tomorrow, a (very empty) online mode and the ability to design your own car (albeit in a limited way which is closer to NFS Carbon than Forza 2).

Sorry for the lengthy post but I thought I'd try and give a balanced view of what is, in my opinion, a good game which should be given a chance and not written off by people before they've even played it.

All opinions etc etc are welcome!
I actually preferred rFactor's stock car mods. But NASCAR 08 IS a set in the right direction for EA and the graphics are great.

I do wish that there will be another good stock car video game that'll come out for PC.
i cant control de car n 08
haven't played it does look awesome but don't like the drafting signals i want to feel it from the videos.

shame it isn't on PC as i haven't got console

I heard rumors EA losing nascar licenses? or EA close down the team who made 08?
#5 - TiJay
Quote : i cant control de car n 08

Be gentle with the controls, they're sensitive. I'm used to it because it's similar to when I used to play LFS with a gamepad.

Quote :but don't like the drafting signals i want to feel it from the videos.

The draft display is off in everything except the drafting tutorials/challenges where there is a different HUD. All you have on the race HUD is gear, speed and laps.

Quote :EA close down the team who made 08?

Hmm, don't think so as EA Tiburon seem to be one of EA's most successful studios.
#6 - th84
I didnt get 08 because of the poor reviews. Maybe I will give it a go now. How is the online play? (if there is any)
I tried the Xbox360 demo of Nascar08 and thought it was shite
Agreed, I wasted time downloading the demo and thought it was rubbish. The visuals aren't even all that impressive, apart from the lighting, which is quite nice.
#9 - TiJay
Quote :Agreed, I wasted time downloading the demo and thought it was rubbish. The visuals aren't even all that impressive, apart from the lighting,

I haven't tried the demo but I'd imagine it had all the VTV crap and drafting help turned on? I'm willing to bet it isn't representative of the full game. Although yes, I'll agree the visuals ain't that great apart from the lighting and cars/cockpits.

Quote : I didnt get 08 because of the poor reviews. Maybe I will give it a go now. How is the online play?

I haven't tried the online mode but the reason why I think the reviews were average is because it was reviewed by gamers not sim-racers. The reviewers generally didn't like the way the career mode was laid out and the lack of extras compared to previous NASCAR titles. From a sim-racer's point of view, it has the same modes as NR2003 plus a career. They also thought the handling was too sensitive, which is purely subjective.

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG