The online racing simulator
Router encryption
(14 posts, started )
#1 - sam93
Router encryption
just quickly giving some advice to anyone with a router, I have thought to post this after reading this thread ,just saying never use WEP as it is easy to hack and anyone hijacking your network to gain internet access or gain personal information like credit card details, as there are certain apps that let you view what others are doing on their pc on the same network, using WPA-PSK would prevent this a lot more as the security level is a lot higher, a lot more harder to hack into, so that means others can't gain personal information as easy or possibly not at all as to hack a WPA-PSK can take hours or even days, so only hackers who really want this information would wait that long and a lot of the time they will live no where near you they will be "wardriving" driving around to gain access to others network
Also always setup MAC Address filtering so only certain MAC Addresses, people living in your house(Family) can connect to your network.

Just posting this for others safety, I know there is always the rubbish they can gain information off, but they can most of the time gain more information via your pc, if you shop online, e.g. book holidays online, then they will know when your not in and break into your house when your away.
So like I said above just for your safety.
#2 - CSU1
Quote from sam93 :
...So like I said above just for your safety.

...who told you all this then?Uh-hu
#3 - sam93
Quote from CSU1 :...who told you all this then?Uh-hu

Research and IT Techs I know, I always like to keep everything to a high security level as possible, I mean keep everything to a high security level on my pc, I only allow certain ports open for games and apps I really need and keep decent firewall software on my pc and other security applications.

I have also came across applications on the internet what allow you to see what others are doing on another pc, and no it wasn't a remote access program, it was some sort of program what you run and just connect to a pc on a network and gain information and live screens of what they are doing and it also shows passwords in characters not in encrypted circle thingys, so that means some people are using this software, being sad *******
#4 - amp88
Quote from sam93 :Research and IT Techs I know, I always like to keep everything to a high security level as possible, I mean keep everything to a high security level on my pc, I only allow certain ports open for games and apps I really need and keep decent firewall software on my pc and other security applications.

I have also came across applications on the internet what allow you to see what others are doing on another pc, and no it wasn't a remote access program, it was some sort of program what you run and just connect to a pc on a network and gain information and live screens of what they are doing and it also shows passwords in characters not in encrypted circle thingys, so that means some people are using this software, being sad *******

You're losing credibility fast, better make another desperate claim. Come on, a 14 year old hanging about with IT Professionals. I'm sure the advice you gave is sound, but it doesn't come from you. Just 5 minutes before you created this thread you gave the advice to use
WBA-PSK.

Quote from sam93 :just as shiny said, press the reset button, else you wont connect to it, and by the way never use WEP, always use WPA-PSK the security level is a lot higher then wep. WEP is easy to hack, for people who like to do that type of thing and see what you are doing on your pc and gain personal information, where as WPA-PSK is a lot harder to hack to get the code, so it is more difficult to gain information off of your pc.

Then someone else in the other topic said to use the MAC list, so you've obviously taken their advice and tried to pawn it off here as your own.
Seeing how I just set up my router yesterday, I can also say that WPA-PSK is the way to go. It is also smart to set your own SSID instead of using the default. And to also change the default password 'admin' to gain login access to your router. Router's are not that complicated, and anyone dumb enough to have an unsecured connection just shouldn't even have a computer.
Quote from amp88 :you've obviously taken their advice and tried to pawn it off here as your own.

Does it have to be original advice never given to anyone else for it to be given? IS it now suddenly impossible for more than one person in this world to posses one piece of knowledge?
Anyways, MAC-filters are bullshit. All you're doing there is inconvenience legitimate users. Spoofing a MAC-address is kids stuff for "hackers"(Read:script-kiddies)
#7 - sam93
Nope, a few members of my family are IT Techs. Also a lot of the information I have learnt from doing research, obviously you learn everything from others, someone needs to know the certain things for us to learn them. Most of the stuff about computers I have learnt myself one nearly everything I have learnt about computers I have learnt myself, self taught.
#8 - sam93
Quote from Lautsprecher[NOR] :Does it have to be original advice never given to anyone else for it to be given? IS it now suddenly impossible for more than one person in this world to posses one piece of knowledge?
Anyways, MAC-filters are bullshit. All you're doing there is inconvenience legitimate users. Spoofing a MAC-address is kids stuff for "hackers"(Read:script-kiddies)

Very true about mac filters actually, it is really easy to change your mac address, people who don't know this just have a look through your connectivity propertise and have a look, you will soon find the tab what allows you to change you mac address.
Quote from sam93 :Very true about mac filters actually, it is really easy to change your mac address, people who don't know this just have a look through your connectivity propertise and have a look, you will soon find the tab what allows you to change you mac address.

I'm pretty sure you aren't changing your MAC address, merely reporting a different one.
Quote from pb32000 :I'm pretty sure you aren't changing your MAC address, merely reporting a different one.

Yes but on my pc I can change the pc's MAC Address
Quote from sam93 :Yes but on my pc I can change the pc's MAC Address

No, you are changing the MAC address that is reported by your OS. You can still restore the hardware MAC address.

Edit: Furthermore your PC doesn't have a MAC address, your NIC does, therefore you can have multiple address per machine.
Your entire first post could have been shortened to:

WEP = no
WPA = yes

Although it should be made clear that WPA2 is much better than vanilla WPA. As part of my degree, some of my course mates did their final year projects on network security and showed how to crack WEP and WPA. Almost any other security measure can typically be circumvented in minutes.

I'm not sure how many people would check out the Live for Speed off-topic forums for network security advice though. There are better places for that. This forum isn't the only one in the world, you know. Smile
Quote from Bob Smith :Your entire first post could have been shortened to:

WEP = no
WPA = yes

Although it should be made clear that WPA2 is much better than vanilla WPA. As part of my degree, some of my course mates did their final year projects on network security and showed how to crack WEP and WPA. Almost any other security measure can typically be circumvented in minutes.

I'm not sure how many people would check out the Live for Speed off-topic forums for network security advice though. There are better places for that. This forum isn't the only one in the world, you know. Smile

That one the one I was refering to just couldn't remember what it had on the end of the WPA, on both routers, the one at home and the one at my mums I have put WPA2-PSK TKIP on them, but one has a lot more security on it then my mums, as the one at home is made for gaming, downloading and media streaming to other devices and it came with a lot more security built into it, the router is one of the new wireless version N1.

I still don't think we will never be able to stop hackers even NASA was able to be hacked, but the stupid guy who did that is now inside for life but you knows what actually happened at Roswell.
But it is always best to be safe.
YAY MY TOPIC lol Tilt

Router encryption
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG