The online racing simulator
WEP password
(22 posts, started )
WEP password
does anyone know how to get it, my mom lost the paper and my latop formated so i need the password to play s2 i have a linksys wireless b router
#2 - J@tko
U mean the password to unlock S2 - ask the devs to reset it to something that you can remember.
Quote from J@tko :U mean the password to unlock S2 - ask the devs to reset it to something that you can remember.

no the pw to unlock the wireless internet for my laptop
I don't know how to get it, but I think you can reset your router by pushing in a tiny button at the back. This should reset the password.
#5 - sam93
just as shiny said, press the reset button, else you wont connect to it, and by the way never use WEP, always use WPA-PSK the security level is a lot higher then wep. WEP is easy to hack, for people who like to do that type of thing and see what you are doing on your pc and gain personal information, where as WPA-PSK is a lot harder to hack to get the code, so it is more difficult to gain information off of your pc.
#6 - ajp71
Isn't setting up a MAC address access list the simplest and securest method?
#7 - Woz
Quote from sam93 :just as shiny said, press the reset button, else you wont connect to it, and by the way never use WEP, always use WPA-PSK the security level is a lot higher then wep. WEP is easy to hack, for people who like to do that type of thing and see what you are doing on your pc and gain personal information, where as WPA-PSK is a lot harder to hack to get the code, so it is more difficult to gain information off of your pc.

Actually I dont use any encryption on my line. Pointless as both can be hacked in no time and just slow the connection down. I just use a MAC filter to say who can connect.

That said I do live on a block of land that someone needs to be well up my drive before they get a signal.
#8 - sam93
Quote from ajp71 :Isn't setting up a MAC address access list the simplest and securest method?

yes, You should always do that aswell.
#9 - sam93
Quote from Woz :Actually I dont use any encryption on my line. Pointless as both can be hacked in no time and just slow the connection down. I just use a MAC filter to say who can connect.

That said I do live on a block of land that someone needs to be well up my drive before they get a signal.

WPA-PSK is a lot harder to hack then WEP, WEP can be hacked in no time, WPA-PSK can take hours or even a day.
Can you not get onto your routers page and find it?
Quote from R34GTR :Can you not get onto your routers page and find it?

He wont be able to because you have to be connected to the router to get into the router info page.
Quote from sam93 :He wont be able to because you have to be connected to the router to get into the router info page.

Oh yeahhh, boy do i feel stoopid
http://192.168.0.1/ is the usual link to login to your linksys router. If your login and pass are still on default, then the login is blank and the password is 'admin' . This logs you into your router where you can set the SSID, encryption, and passphrase (AKA WEP password) you're looking for.

On the Administration tab, you can change the Gateway Password, which is what you entered as 'admin' earlier in the login window. Though if you or your mom tend to lose important details, you might not want to change it
Who the hell cares if WEP is easy to crack? I'm just gona put this out there: approx 99.999999% of households with wireless encryption will never be targeted for attack, however possilby 50% of those will be found by wireless devices. If there's no encryption anybody can just jump in and use the connection, however simple WEP is likely to stop the majority of the population from stealing wireless network traffic.

Additionally a lot of devices still don't support WPA-PSK so it's a no-go.
#15 - Woz
Quote from pb32000 :Who the hell cares if WEP is easy to crack? I'm just gona put this out there: approx 99.999999% of households with wireless encryption will never be targeted for attack, however possilby 50% of those will be found by wireless devices. If there's no encryption anybody can just jump in and use the connection, however simple WEP is likely to stop the majority of the population from stealing wireless network traffic.

Additionally a lot of devices still don't support WPA-PSK so it's a no-go.

By your argument though MAC filter should be fine. It locks out who can use the network.

WEP protects against casual traffic snooping BUT if someone has the software to allow for wireless packet snooping they WILL know how to crack WEP or have tools that will crack it, Which takes less than 60 seconds.

You are right, most people will never be snooped. Use MAC by default and turn off your broadcast and you are far far safer than WEP with broadcast on. If you have neighbours play with encryption but on the whole they are both weak and expolitable.
ok im on lappy with INTERNET so you can lock this thread
<nerd type="network sysadmin">
MAC filtering is utterly pointless by itself. All your traffic is going over the wire in plain protocol. i.e. no encryption. If you setup a wireless network card correctly within range of an access point that uses only MAC filtering you can see all of the traffic across the network. Include MAC addresses. If you have half a brain you'll now realise why this is a problem. For those that don't, perhaps I should point out that you can setup a network card to use a different MAC address.

MAC filtering is useful, in conjunction with encryption, such as WEP and the various WPA. Never use it alone.

Granted not many people will actually go out to steal your WiFi, but advocating to use MAC filtering and you'll be magically safe is a magnificent misunderstanding. There is no perfect solution (there are many good solutions, and I'll happily talk to you guys about running wireless on a different subnet, completely open, but only with a dead end route until you authenticate with a tunnel end point to connect to, but that's radically too complicated for most home users).

Everyone seems to be confusing authentication, authorisation and encryption.
</nerd>

I've just noticed the other thread. Nevermind.
Well, I think I have zero protection at all, had too many trouble with it in the past really.

The weird thing now is, when I search for a connection, it won't find my router. But I am connected... I find no connection, we have a second connection separately, and that one is protected, but it doesn't even show up in the list.
Sometimes the little thingy says: getting network address... But I'm already connected and able to surf.
#19 - wien
Quote from pb32000 :If there's no encryption anybody can just jump in and use the connection, however simple WEP is likely to stop the majority of the population from stealing wireless network traffic.

I actually had a bastard stealing my bandwidth within minutes of activating my wireless router after I bought it (WEP turned on). And I even live in a sparsely populated area. I'm not saying that is normal, but I was shocked at how easily the guy got in.
#20 - Osco
Quote from wien :I actually had a bastard stealing my bandwidth within minutes of activating my wireless router after I bought it (WEP turned on). And I even live in a sparsely populated area. I'm not saying that is normal, but I was shocked at how easily the guy got in.

I'd say a roundhouse kick to the face would have been in order then...
Quote from Woz :By your argument though MAC filter should be fine. It locks out who can use the network.

Erm..... Ettercap?
#22 - Jakg
Shamelessly right now i have an unprotected AP at my feet. I live in the middle of no-where, and you would need to be in "our land" to use it.

Oh yeah, and it's broken atm, but it used to work :P

WEP password
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG