The online racing simulator
Bored at lunch today at work? NOT ME!!
(18 posts, started )
Just a one off treat for today and tomorrow at lunchtime!!
You bumm, get to work

How the hell did you get to do that?

Quote from sgt.flippy :You bumm, get to work

How the hell did you get to do that?

Back in a minute.
There is a couple of us that play LFS regularly and we joked about bringing in his dfp as Santa had bought him a G25....so he did!!!!

We've had a couple of collegues having a go in FBMW round BL1 and its been a laugh trying to coach people!!
When will people learn...

When you're using a projector (and it's not an uber expensive one), turn off the lights! FTW!
#5 - JTbo
Quote from jibber :When will people learn...

When you're using a projector (and it's not an uber expensive one), turn off the lights! FTW!

+1

It is surely nice to have enough large picture so one could use even remotely natural FOV and still get feeling of speed, is different sim after that.
Quote from jibber :When will people learn...

They were off, believe it or not, might be the flash though....
#7 - JTbo
Quote from mrfell :They were off, believe it or not, might be the flash though....

Yep, you need to turn off the flash and taking pic by free hand is then not working too well.

I bought long time befor got projector some curtains that make my room as dark as it would be a night even sun shines outside, very good now
When looking at the picture again, i thought about the flash aswell.

Well, next time, take a picture without the flash!

I have a projector at home btw. But so far, i couldn't get my lazy arse up to go and buy a DVI/VGA adapter. Sure would be fun to play LFS like that tho...
#9 - JTbo
Quote from jibber :When looking at the picture again, i thought about the flash aswell.

Well, next time, take a picture without the flash!

I have a projector at home btw. But so far, i couldn't get my lazy arse up to go and buy a DVI/VGA adapter. Sure would be fun to play LFS like that tho...

It is well worth it, when you get it set properly (need to install projector upside down to make it correct height) it helps in realism HUGE amount as you can use good fov setting, 80 in that pic I attached.
Attached images
lfs_setup.jpg
I'd say you are sitting a bit close to the wall, regarding the size of the image.

I have it mounted on the ceiling. However, it would work just as good standing on the floor... lens shift!

But a projector, on the floor, in the middle of the living room isn't all that great.
#11 - JTbo
Quote from jibber :I'd say you are sitting a bit close to the wall, regarding the size of the image.

I have it mounted on the ceiling. However, it would work just as good standing on the floor... lens shift!

But a projector, on the floor, in the middle of the living room isn't all that great.

I don't know, 1.5m it is, you must remember that guidelines of movie setup does not apply here. You can get better FOV closer you are, but of course when enough close small dots may become apparent, my current seating position is quite at limit on that.

Got to love this feeling when racing as I must turn head to see edges of screen well
#12 - Rish
Quote from JTbo :It is well worth it, when you get it set properly (need to install projector upside down to make it correct height) it helps in realism HUGE amount as you can use good fov setting, 80 in that pic I attached.

Going to set it up again tomorrow!!
Unfortunately we cant get as close as your photo as we dont have any where to put the projector. It needs to be on the ceiling, or have a proper projector stand which is at least higher than head height when we're sat down.

BTW slightly O/T, the dfp seems so dinky and toy like after a g25
#14 - JTbo
Quote from mrfell :Going to set it up again tomorrow!!
Unfortunately we cant get as close as your photo as we dont have any where to put the projector. It needs to be on the ceiling, or have a proper projector stand which is at least higher than head height when we're sat down.

BTW slightly O/T, the dfp seems so dinky and toy like after a g25

I had camera tripod as stand before, was pretty ok, but problem was that image is projected so that bottom edge is level with projector where upper edge rises in angle, this of course caused some trouble, now it is near ceiling and upside down so I got image relatively straight and lower than before.
Thats why i love lens shift. And Keystone, but you shouldn't use Keystone unless you can't avoid it.

However, i've never heard of something like a "movie setup". But projectors come with manuals... and in there you should find recommendations about the distance to the image, regarding the size of the image.

My screen is 2 meters in horizontal (not diagonal, that would be more, but don't ask me how much... :razz, and i'm sitting roughly 5 meters away from it. I don't remember the guidelines in my manual, but i think i shouldn't move closer than 4 meters with an image of that size. The 5 meters i have now are feeling about just right.
#16 - JTbo
Those that are more movie hobbyist, have some guidelines what viewing distance is allowed for which image size.

Oh yes, those hobbyist can be really picky about correct viewing distance, among other things

If you look image for example from 4 meters instead of 2 meters your natural FOV will be lot diffrent, I believe numbers in manual are for movie use where intention is to see whole image without need to turn head at all or something like that.

For me, good distance is that dashboard of car looks to be proper size
Well, i'm not a movie hobbyist...

I mainly use my projector for playing with the xbox360. Okok, i watch movies with it aswell.

But i do believe that the guidelines are not for movies. They should be in general, regarding image quality. If you are too close, the quality will become more bad (well, it stays the same, but you can see more detail the closer you are... or with other words, you can see how "bad" the image really is (not saing the image is bad, i have a HD projector :schwitz).

However, i understand your point there. You're still sitting a bit close tho.
#18 - JTbo
Yes, sure, I can see errors in DVD image too and as this projector is rather crappy DLP model I can see errors this projector creates pretty well, so in that perspective I'm sure too close.

But for me larger field of view overcomes these minorities

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG