The online racing simulator
Building a pedal set, pot trouble
I recently K.I.A'd my pedals and I decided it was time to do a DIY job, so I got a joystick and did all the research.

I opened up an old pedal set off of a V3 racing wheel that used to hook up to the game port on my old PC. I found it had 180º B100k ohm pots. And the joystick has 60º B100k ohm pots.
Now as far as I've read, as long as the pot is B100k I can use any range I want.

The problem I am having now is that the pots apear to have cliped down to less than half. Now that would have lead me to think that the pot range didn't help, and that I'm still limited to 60º.
however, the joystick drivers now read only from 0 to 128.
Before, they where going from 0 to 255.

I find this odd because
1. The pots are going from 0 to 128 which is a resolution of 129 steps, which doesn't make sence at all. They shoulden't be able to go more than 127 if they can't go to 255. This leads me to think that it's the pots.
2. The active range is off center, meaning that even though I have a mechanical range of 310º and an unknown active range, it seems to end at the half turn mark and start where the 180º range should.

Now I have the pots hooked up backwards, I'm thinking this could cause a problem, but I don't think so. this means that the pedal travel starts at 128 and goes to 0 instead of the other way around.

also, the pots originaly where hooked together to give it one combined axis, which is normal for combined pedals.
I also have another theory that this could some how effect them.
But then again they are generic pots, it shoulden't effect anything.

I'm stumped, and I don't want to tinker too much and fry something.
So I'm just asking for help.

With the information given, what could it be?
You should use a multimeter to determine the active range of the pots. Maybe that will make it easier to find the problem. Just make sure the pot isn't powered, because otherwise you'd be shorting across it.
The pots are actualy labled, 180º they are 90º from center each way, starting from 0 at the far left to 180 at the far right if the shaft is facing you.

I also just figured out that they are 50k pots.
I'm almost positive thats the problem, but that would mean I'm screwed, since the only ones I have that are 100k now are the 60º ones.

EDIT: I found a place in my city that has 100k ohm pots for $1.84 each. I need 3 of them.
Since I just got some money, I can afford to buy them, I might even upgrade the pot in my steering wheel to a wider range since the one that came in it was a 20k ohm 180º pot, when it should have been a 20k ohm 280º pot.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG