The online racing simulator
Upgrading the CPU
(12 posts, started )
Upgrading the CPU / New computer
Well, I think it`s time to upgrade my CPU a little.
ATM I have a AMD singlle core 2.7 ghz (not the name, but it should be good enough to be compared with 2.7 ghz, probally 2.22AMD is it`s name).

I have seached around, but I can`t find single core anymore :/
I was thinking, what do you think I should upgrade to (when I find it) ? I was thinking something around 3.5 ghz or something.

Please help me and give me some advices, and what kind of improvment I might see
#2 - Jakg
You wont get a 3.5 GHz AMD CPU.

No-one can help you unless you say what motherboard you have, either. ATM you could have Socket A (Which leaves you totally ****ed for upgrades), Socket 754 (Same), Socket 939 (Dead, but you can still get Dual-Core CPU's for it at a VERY large cost), or Socket AM2, which would leave you with a nice upgrade posibility.

Do you know what Socket your CPU is? Or if your mobo takes Dual Cores...?
#3 - garph
Forget measuring a CPU's performance by the ghz, that is no longer the case, hasn't been for a long, long time. The max ghz AMD do is the AM2 6400+ at 3.2 (dual core and ddr2, so you need a new motherboard and RAM), but again there is much more to how good a CPU is than the ghz, lesser ghz Intel out perform it.

If you are lucky you have a socket 939, dual cores for that socket are pretty cheap up to the 4200+ for around £50, beyond that and you can't find them (except eBay) and they are VERY expensive.

If you are unlucky you have a socket A or 754, which means, no upgrade options. You need to be thinking of a CPU, motherboard and RAM upgrade for anything meaning full.

Like Jakq said, find out what socket you have.
I have noe clue
Bought it 5 years ago, something about 1BIT-NF7.
So you suggest that I buy a new main card, new ram and dual core?
Problem is that I use AGP geforce 6600 GT, that would need to be PSI if I remember right

What will those... new upgrade aprox cost? Total?

Thanks for any help you provide.

Edit : Lol no chance in hell this system has dual core
It`s old, and it using DDR333 mhz ram. Like I said, 5 years old, at that time it was ULITIMATE BEST; now it`s FAIL!
#5 - garph
That's socket A (single core, ddr and agp) and it sounds like you have a AMD 2700+ CPU, you could go to a AMD 3200+ but it wont really do you much good in the long run.

You're looking at a major upgrade: CPU, motherboard, RAM (ddr2) and graphics card (pci-e)...as well as a PSU as well probably.

You'll probably need around £350 - £500 for it all.
Ok, so to sum it up - a new PC.
Well, maybe I should ...maybe not. I got a good screen, mouse and keyboard, so it`s just the computer box itself..
Damn damn, hard dessision, what you think? :/
#7 - Jakg
Quote from The Very End :I have noe clue
Bought it 5 years ago, something about 1BIT-NF7.
So you suggest that I buy a new main card, new ram and dual core?
Problem is that I use AGP geforce 6600 GT, that would need to be PSI if I remember right

What will those... new upgrade aprox cost? Total?

Thanks for any help you provide.

Edit : Lol no chance in hell this system has dual core
It`s old, and it using DDR333 mhz ram. Like I said, 5 years old, at that time it was ULITIMATE BEST; now it`s FAIL!

Well a better question is how much do you have to spend? Are you comfortable buying used etc.

Your mobo is socket A (so the best you'll get is the 3200+ which is barely even an upgrade), so you'll need a new motherboard, and to go to a new socket (which means you'll need DDR2). This means that you really should get a new GFX card, too (ie a PCI-e one). To get any of this to work you'll probably need a new PSU, too.

You could "cheap out" and go for the following...
Asus M2N-E SLi - £49.65
AMD 4000+ X2 (2.1 GHz) AM2 - £39.99

Corsair 2 GB RAM (DDR667 - 2x 1 GB) - £27.22

ATi x1950GT 256 MB - £54.99
Corsair 380w PSU - £32.99

That works out as £204.84 delivered.

Of course i have no idea if that mobo is the cheapest you could go for, but i've cheaped out on that big-time - you'll need a new PSU for a new graphics card methinks.

I used eBuyer, but you might be able to get the parts cheaper somewhere else. Of course eBuyer wont post to Norway, but i'm using these parts as an example.

Or you could spend a little more and get this...
Gigabyte P35 DS3R - £72.01
Corsair 2 GB RAM (DDR800 - 2x 1GB) - £46.56

Inno3D 8800GT 512 MB - £167.99
OCZ StealthXStream 600w PSU - £49.99

That comes to £336.55. If you wanted to save more money you could pick up the 256 MB 8800GT for about £115. You then need to add a CPU, which gives you three choices:
Intel E2180 - £51.21
Intel E6750 - £115.72

Intel Q6600 - £161

The E2180 is a GREAT budget choice, the E6750 is probably the worst value but a fair bit faster, albeit double the price. The Q6600 is a Quad Core, and i'd get it if you can. Of course if your going to spent almost £400 then i'd recommend you pick up a shiny new Hard Drive - a fast 320 GB HDD can be had for under £45 nowadays. You might also want to invest in a larger monitor, or a copy of Vista.

If you have a 17" monitor or smaller and no intention to upgrade then an 8800GT 256 MB would be fine, and would also give you great performance. That an an E2180 would be the pinnacle of value.

You'll probably need to re-install windows, too, to get it to "play nice" with a Dual Core and a new Chipset.

Thats about all i can suggest without having any idea as to a budget...!

EDIT - Grrrr, i price that up and now you want some more, lol.

If you just add the following to each of what i suggested and you'd get a full PC...
Coolermaster Elite 330 + Coo ... Xtreme 460w PSU - £42.99
- PSU might not be able to run an 8800GT, however you can always sell it. If you were going down the AMD route you'd be getting a better PSU than the one i listed and getting the case for £10 in effect.
Seagate 7200.10 160 GB HDD - £33.29
LiteOn LH-20A1S 20x DVD Burner SATA - £15.48

That comes to £91.76.
Thanks a lot for that post Jakg.
I probally go for a new PC then. I was thinking of maybe paying over time. Meaning I pay a heavy shit PC for like 2 years, with some per month. Of course the price will be liked doubled, but at least I can affort it.

I`m looking at a self build pc now, to sum it up, almost the best there is out on the marked now. It will cost something around 11 500 NOK. I`ll save some by using my old mouse, keyboard, speakers and monitor.
#9 - Jakg
I really don't recommend going for the best out there. Getting the top of the range PC will cost you DOUBLE what a 10-15% slower one will, which could let you upgrade it later on and actually beat the original fast PC.

You might think if you sink £2,500 into a PC it would be future proof, but try telling that to the people who had AMD FX-57's, 2 GB of DDR400 and 2x 6800 Ultra's in SLi.
Allright
Jagk, my I ask you a question?

How would you build a system, that is purelly for perfomance / gaming.
I really need the best there is for the money, aswell as it should be useable and no problem with heating.

My budjet is around 10 000 - 12 000 NOK / 1 500 EUR.

I don`t need mouse, speakers, monitor or keyboard. I aswell has a network card that I can use in the new system.

Only if you have time mate

Edit : is is possible to get a crysis - machine for that amount of money. I suaully buys a computer every 5th year And when I buy, I buy teh good one.

Edit 2 : No need for operative system, buyed one from my mate since he didn`t ever install it lol. He uses something like ubunto instead.
#11 - Jakg
Do you have decent speakers? If not, i wont get a sound card...

What monitor do you have?

You wont need a network card, the onboard one is more than good enough.

Can you link me to a Norweigian PC store? If i priced it up on eBuyer it would probably be moe epxensive there.

As a baseline your looking at 4 GB of RAM, A Q6600, an Asus P5K-E, 600+w PSU, and an 8800GTS, maybe even SLi'd GT's.

Do you need an operating system? If you plan on using more than 3 GB of RAM you'll need a 64-bit OS, such as Vista x64 or XP x64 (XP 64 is a bit crap, though).

If your spending £1,090 on a PC i'd recommend that you look into a new mouse, keyboard of monitor - a new mouse could cost £20, but if you will be playing FPS games its a very very big upgrade from the cheap crap a lot of people use. Same for the keyboard, and i find that a new monitor is a little expensive (ie £180 for a 22" TFT), but it now seems ludicrous that i games on a 17" as it looks stupid.
Link : www.komplett.no

Speakers, they are ok, nothing special, sorround system but no new fancy thing, 5 yeasr old.

Mouse and keyboard are logitec, they are all good, so I don`t want to replace them. Monitor is a SyncMaster 172v , 17incess, but I don`t have room for more, so I canot replace that eighter.

I don`t need an operative system.

4GB ram? Isn`t that very much? 2GB is enough?
Anyway, my max budjet is 12 000 NOK, so I`ll belive I can get pretty descent setup for that.

Thanks for the help

Just ask if you need help to understand the page komplett.no.
Some word :
Skjerm - monitor
Skjemkort - graphic card
Minne - Ram / Minnebrikke - ram
Hovedkort - main card

Upgrading the CPU
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG