The online racing simulator
Street Cars need to lose some weight
Hi,

So this discussion oryginally started in another thread, but I think it's very important and everyone will benefit from it.

Currently street cars in lfs are very adjustable - we can mod many things in the suspension, adjust brakes, change gears etc.

But in real life if I was going that far with my street car, the first thing I would do is get rid of the interior and all the weighty parts in it. We use LFS cars on tracks, not on "streets" going shopping etc. We dont need 5 seats.

So suggestion is :

Make two options in lfs for street cars:

1) Stock interior.
2) Ripped off interior with just 1 driver bucket seat and other things modified inside so the car is lighter.
Quote from kamkorPL :Hi,

So this discussion oryginally started in another thread, but I think it's very important and everyone will benefit from it.

Currently street cars in lfs are very adjustable - we can mod many things in the suspension, adjust brakes, change gears etc.

But in real life if I was going that far with my street car, the first thing I would do is get rid of the interior and all the weighty parts in it. We use LFS cars on tracks, not on "streets" going shopping etc. We dont need 5 seats.

So suggestion is :

Make two options in lfs for street cars:

1) Stock interior.
2) Ripped off interior with just 1 driver bucket seat and other things modified inside so the car is lighter.

Fair Comment! Although the cars that are limited to street type tires should be left alone.
But all street cars are limited to street tires at the moment.

Getting rid of interior is one of the cheapest mods you can do in real life and at the same time get noticable results.
Quote from kamkorPL :But all street cars are limited to street tires at the moment.

Getting rid of interior is one of the cheapest mods you can do in real life and at the same time get noticable results.

Thats my point, they should be left as street cars. When you finished racing you can put the baby seat back!
This is something I've thought of several times.

The possibility of having one car model and then some variations, a couple of stock versions and a club-race version, those you can find in amateur regional championships.

Interesting idea
#6 - ajp71
Personally I'd like to see the road cars have a lot more limited setups and a stripped interior with the required modifications for real racing. Then the cars would be much more believable rather than graphically completely standard road cars with far more adjustability than top level GT machinery.
Quote from ajp71 :Personally I'd like to see the road cars have a lot more limited setups and a stripped interior with the required modifications for real racing. Then the cars would be much more believable rather than graphically completely standard road cars with far more adjustability than top level GT machinery.

Maybe having a fixed setup stock version and a "cup" version with some customizable aftermarket parts and reduced weight would be interesting.
That would be a good idea, having showroom and cup options
#9 - VoiD
Maybe we will see some stripped interiors in the next patch, who knows..?!

Scawen said something about another (minor) physics change because of the new weight and a new position for the drivers seat.
I'm not in favour of a showroom stock version and stripped version. That just seems pointless; the cars would be near identical. We should have proper stripped versions; maybe with a passenger seat for a rally co-driver if we ever get that rally pack.

Racing in LFS is not track-days, it is racing. As such, all of the cars should have to meet certain safety standards; in other words, they should ALL have rollcages, removed seats and possibly carpets/stereos/door panels/etc. It just makes sense.
this reminds me to Rtractor, which is, like some people say, not a good game.
Quote from Eldanor :Maybe having a fixed setup stock version and a "cup" version with some customizable aftermarket parts and reduced weight would be interesting.

No we need to keep the number of similar cars/tracks to a minimum so we've only got distinctive quality content that serves a purpose and is used.

I'd like to see sensible setup options, eg. an option for stock and 2 or 3 stiff spring rates, nothing perfect but far more choice than you'd usually have IRL. Camber should either be in 1 or 2 fixed increments or not adjustable at all, IRL on a car without fully adjustable suspension you change that kind of thing with adjustment blocks, likewise 2 or 3 damper options and maybe 1 or 2 ride height spacer adjustments and no gear ratio changes on any of the road cars and maybe an option of 2 or 3 final drives.

Those changes would give you the cup settings, by having the standard road values available and a fixed setup option you could get an instant server stock option with no need for additional cars.
#13 - Woz
This thread appears to come from the wrong assumption that LFS is about tweaking and modding cars to go faster.

As AJP sai there are some, myself included, that would prefer the setup options on the low end cars were limited to simple setting changes only so they a like lightly modded road cars.

Having a stripped out version does nothing to help here. We already have enough versions of the various cars in LFS. They would add nothing when there are other car classes and types not yet represented in LFS.
Because this is a game, and price/availability of parts is not a factor, who is to say I didn't forge my own transmission in the fiery depths to have the perfect gearing? Im not really worried, I don't believe the road cars will ever be limited, but remember its a game designed to be fun. Maybe people would have less fun with an extremely lightly modified road car? I would.
#15 - Gunn
Maybe I'm one of the black sheep, but I'd love a weight-stripped XRG. Dump the extra junk like the seats and dashboard, door trims etc, I reckon it would be a punchy little race car, and still quite friendly on tyres. It might make a good rally pig too in this configuration.

$0.02
#16 - VoiD
Quote from MAGGOT :...maybe with a passenger seat for a rally co-driver if we ever get that rally pack....

We need both front seats. The majority of us drive LHD and the others RHD. Here´s the poll.
Quote from Gunn :Maybe I'm one of the black sheep, but I'd love a weight-stripped XRG. Dump the extra junk like the seats and dashboard, door trims etc, I reckon it would be a punchy little race car, and still quite friendly on tyres. It might make a good rally pig too in this configuration.

$0.02

+1 for that! XRG is an awesome little car, and gutted out would make it that bit better!
I've seen some cars in the lower classes for the Nordschleife 24h race, which are still street legal. They have an roll cage, a new smaller steering wheel (which we already have in LFS),an fire extinguisher on board, bucket seats and different seat belts. They also take the rear seats out. But that are all changes done to the interieur.

So I think LFS should be exactly that way, keeping most of the inside, add two or three things and we have an perfectly realistic racing car for small class or cup racing which you can still use to drive home
As long as it would remain optional I don't disagree on principal but re-drawing the road cars interiors would take a lot of Eric's time.
I would prefer him to work on new cars or new tracks instead of doing this.
#20 - Gunn
Quote from Maelstrom :As long as it would remain optional I don't disagree on principal but re-drawing the road cars interiors would take a lot of Eric's time.

They would be new cars. And less time-consuming than making one from scratch. I think it's a consideration that shouldn't be completely ruled out.
Quote from Woz :
Having a stripped out version does nothing to help here. We already have enough versions of the various cars in LFS. They would add nothing when there are other car classes and types not yet represented in LFS.

TBH I wouldn't mind if they were stripped out or not, most racing cars are although a few have the trim left in to make them more usable road cars, stripping a car doesn't make that big a difference in performance when you haven't got a benchmark to compare to, the cars will still be pretty similar. The advantage of keeping interiors is the road cars would remain quiet and nice places to be, as soon as you remove the roof lining a car becomes tinny and horrible to be in IRL.
Quote from VoiD :We need both front seats. The majority of us drive LHD and the others RHD. Here´s the poll.

You could have one front seat and have it switch sides depending on which side you're on, just like the GTR cars now.
Quote from Maelstrom :As long as it would remain optional I don't disagree on principal but re-drawing the road cars interiors would take a lot of Eric's time.

The topic is not a bad idea. But I agree with Maelstrom, IIRC the new interiors were "almost done" last december...
+1 on the idea of stripping out interiors or having "club" versions, although the later might be a bit overkill.
Quote from VoiD :We need both front seats. The majority of us drive LHD and the others RHD. Here´s the poll.

have the seat added to what ever side you are driving on like it is with the wheel?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG