The online racing simulator
#1 - Mako.
possible sequential shift protection?
Well,the other day, racing on Kyoto National, I found myself downshitfting into reverse a lot, and remembered how in RBR there was an option to have a lock for not being able to shift into R unless you are stopped/going VERY slowly, and the potion to not be able to downshift it it will over rev the car. Now, I dont care for the second, but a reverse-lock (for sequential users) might be a good idea, as rally cars have it, and it's generaly a smart little tid bit.

EDIT: partly, the reason for this happening, was the fact that I could not fully see the gear indicator in some of the cars, which made it hard to not do that on some of the VERY tight corners.

Well, what do you think?
you should just learn what gear your in. i havnt really had a problem with this other then the ocasional shift into neutral.
I think you need to keep track of what gear you're in. I've never heard of any real cars with this option, including rally cars. I know it is available in RBR, but I don't know if any real cars have it.
#4 - Mako.
Well,that's just the thing, I cant SEE the display with the gear on there, if I was using the H box= no problem, but for a sequential, you need the numbers, and if you cant see them well, there is where the problme lies... so we really wont need a netural/reverse lock option if we can see the gears well. Some of the cars with the problem are the UF1000/UFR, and the XRG/XRT.
#5 - wark
Quote from Mako. :Some of the cars with the problem are the UF1000/UFR, and the XRG/XRT.

Those cars only have four or five forward gears

Is it that hard to remember (or even visualise) what gear you are in?

If you're having trouble bogging down in first gear (only reason I can imagine wanting to downshift TWICE more), it's probably way too tall!

We need our reverse @ 200 kmh for our mad 360 stunt skillz!
You don't need to see what gear you're in, really. Engine note and relative speed should tell you where you are. As wark says, if you think you need to downshift out of first than your gears are too tall. Quite frankly, you should never need first gear at all; except for taking off from pitstops and race starts. That means you're going down 3 gears too far. Sounds to me like you just keep jamming your stick a bunch of times instead of methodically shifting.
#7 - ajp71
I think most sequential gearboxes activate neutral through some other device (and I know they get reverse through a lever) so you shouldn't be able to do it IRL. I accept that you shouldn't be shifting into neutral but a realistic system wouldn't go a miss
#8 - Mako.
Quote from wark :Those cars only have four or five forward gears

If you're having trouble bogging down in first gear (only reason I can imagine wanting to downshift TWICE more), it's probably way too tall!

it's not really bogging down, but downshifting too much while trying to learn how to drift. Everyobody made such a big deal of it, that I wanted to try it, and got this idea as a result. It's notl like you HAVE to have this, but it's just a thought.

also, if you read, I stated the problem was with the indicator being blocked by the steering wheel, not me not being able to visualise.

Case it point: why even have it if we cant see the damn thing? It's not much use, and if I have it in the game, then why should I adapt to not using it, because it's imperfect at the moment? It should be fixed up so that you can see it better.

I use 720 lock btw, just in case you think that I like driving aids, and all that jazz, and try to acuse me of being a cheater.

Oh, and, I dont mod my gear ratios because I dont know how to do it right yet. Gotta learn that some time.

Quote from MAGGOT :Is it that hard to remember (or even visualise) what gear you are in?

Sounds to me like you just keep jamming your stick a bunch of times instead of methodically shifting.

It's kind of hard to focus on gears with the reaction required to no spin all the time while learning to drift right, so yes, your comment is pretty acurate, im trying to focus on timing when I turn the wheel right, not on the gears. It's hard to have to be forced to learn two things at once because of controller limitations.
#9 - Mako.
Quote from ajp71 :I think most sequential gearboxes activate neutral through some other device (and I know they get reverse through a lever) so you shouldn't be able to do it IRL. I accept that you shouldn't be shifting into neutral but a realistic system wouldn't go a miss

Dude! Exactly! They DO have a lever! bike sequentials btw, dont even have reverse, and the first gear is DOWN so this does not happen! Thanks for giving aid to my cause!
Quote from Mako. :It's kind of hard to focus on gears with the reaction required to no spin all the time while learning to drift right, so yes, your comment is pretty acurate, im trying to focus on timing when I turn the wheel right, not on the gears. It's hard to have to be forced to learn two things at once because of controller limitations.

I completely understand where you're coming from; maybe you should focus on gears before trying to focus on drifting? Take things in steps and all will be well.
Yeah, I'm fine when grip racing, but when it comes to having such a good time and having to concentrate on so much when you first start sliding in order to stay in control, THATS when you get lost in the gears... But, oh well, I'll just try to drive better.
#12 - wark
I hear ya. You do make a fair argument.

I'll hafta be indifferent on this one.

but at least we know the MRT5 is done right—just need to figure out a way to drift that sucker!
I still can't see his problem. After years of playing with sequential gearboxes, I never ever accidentally engaged the reverse gear, and I can't remember any occasion where I put in the neutral gear (allthough that might have happened).

I don't drift really, except the occasional spin around south city when I'm bored and don't have time or the mood for a proper race, but the same shifting rule applies: Do it in a controlled manner.

If you can't see the gear indicator, just count. Do it loudly if you still have problems.
Quote from ColeusRattus :I still can't see his problem. After years of playing with sequential gearboxes, I never ever accidentally engaged the reverse gear, and I can't remember any occasion where I put in the neutral gear (allthough that might have happened).

I've never done it in LFS, although that neutral lock has stopped a lot of frustration in RBR The thing is it is realistic so there's no real argument against it, certainly not an unrealistic aid.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG