The online racing simulator
About Revlimiter on Patch Y
(31 posts, started )
OK, so the revlimiters on all cars were reduced to just above the powerband max, and I like to point out that this is too low.

I love to drift the XRT, and for drifting you usually need to use revs above your powerband. Try a lap in a XRT with default gear ratios at Fern Bay (Gold for example), and you'll notice on the last combo of turns you will hit the rev limiter and it kills a good drift. You can either shift up and fall too low in revs, or lower your final gear ratio which kills power on lower speed corners.

We could really use an extra 500-1000 rpm (on the XRT). Comments are welcome.
I totally agree... I would also suggest increasing the rev limits of each car.
+1

I haven't noticed the problem because I don't do skidding, but it's so rare to see a skidder come here, make his first ever post in the Improvement Suggestions forum and actually have it be well-written and with some justification behind it. Really refreshing!

I do both grip racing and drifting on LFS, but I thought if something could actually be achieved by making a topic, it's best to explain some reasoning about it.

On another PC here the previous patch is installed, and though I like all the other improvements on Patch Y, I'd like to see this limitation being removed. To add another reason, the car sounds even better in the 7000-8000 rpm range.
Quote from marcovtwout :I do both grip racing and drifting on LFS, but I thought if something could actually be achieved by making a topic, it's best to explain some reasoning about it.

On another PC here the previous patch is installed, and though I like all the other improvements on Patch Y, I'd like to see this limitation being removed. To add another reason, the car sounds even better in the 7000-8000 rpm range.

I agree with this, as i also do both and im also not to keen on the rev limiter it really has taken some of the effect out of drifting the engine doesn't sound as cool and the slides feel weird while holding them and tbh i think if it stays like this ill loose my interest in drifting :|

Anyway +1
I totally agree with this and was thinking the same the other day.. The sound that's made when the power is cut is quite terrible too!
Why don't you change the ratios then?

Road cars usually don't rev over 7000.
these cars are not totally stock. And I agree about the rev limiter. The clutch heat I don't have a problem with, but 7500 for the XRT seems low.
In short, a +1 from me. Im all up for rev limiters, but i think they should have gone through better testing before realesed into the patch, for now, they should be kept how they was imo.
Redlines are fine
Power bands are fine.

If you need to change gear in your drifts, change your gearing so that you have sufficient wheel torque at whatever rpm range or speed you like. Simple.
Quote from marcovtwout :We could really use an extra 500-1000 rpm (on the XRT). Comments are welcome.

Youre right, and it would be ok in some other cars also, its pretty lame for example in the open wheelers when they dont rev like they used to
Quote from flymike91 :these cars are not totally stock. And I agree about the rev limiter. The clutch heat I don't have a problem with, but 7500 for the XRT seems low.

Have you ever seen the guage cluster for... any car?

Go look them up on ebay.
#13 - Woz
Quote from tristancliffe :Redlines are fine
Power bands are fine.

If you need to change gear in your drifts, change your gearing so that you have sufficient wheel torque at whatever rpm range or speed you like. Simple.

+1
Quote from hagenisse :Why don't you change the ratios then?

Quote from tristancliffe :Redlines are fine
Power bands are fine.

Changing the ratio's always means compensating for other turns. If I make my second gear longer so I can take the above mensioned corner as I like to, means I don't have sufficient power in the lower speed corners. If I make the gears shorter, the range will be too limited and I have to shift too much.
Quote from marcovtwout :Changing the ratio's always means compensating for other turns. If I make my second gear longer so I can take the above mensioned corner as I like to, means I don't have sufficient power in the lower speed corners. If I make the gears shorter, the range will be too limited and I have to shift too much.

Go back to NFS.
Quote from hagenisse :Why don't you change the ratios then?

+1 i agree if you are hitting the revlimiter it means you have to change your gear ratios, not that the limiter needs changing.

Quote from marcovtwout :Changing the ratio's always means compensating for other turns. If I make my second gear longer so I can take the above mensioned corner as I like to, means I don't have sufficient power in the lower speed corners. If I make the gears shorter, the range will be too limited and I have to shift too much.

then change your third gear
I think the Rev limiter is to low its just below the shift point and for most cars the ideal shift piont is 500-700 rpm before the limiter only ricers shift on the limiter on the XRT i think i should be reset to about 8000 rpm seems right to me for a 2lt turbo
So, what usually happens with topics in the suggestions forum?

Anyways, I adjusted gear ratios closer together and learned to play with those, but I still miss the sound the car makes with 1000 extra RPMs.
#19 - Woz
Quote from dj-fluxsa :I think the Rev limiter is to low its just below the shift point and for most cars the ideal shift piont is 500-700 rpm before the limiter only ricers shift on the limiter on the XRT i think i should be reset to about 8000 rpm seems right to me for a 2lt turbo

The shift point MOVES if you change your gearing. The light comes on when changing gear gives better performance than the gear you are in. IT IS NOT FIXED.

If you change your gearing it will solve the problem.

Quote from marcovtwout :So, what usually happens with topics in the suggestions forum?

Anyways, I adjusted gear ratios closer together and learned to play with those, but I still miss the sound the car makes with 1000 extra RPMs.

This is where ideas get thrashed about and probably helps the devs see what people thibk about the sim.

Some ideas get into LFS many do not. The devs have their own vision for the sim its just that most here like that vision. As to when things get in that can depend on whats going on so from days when test patches are about through to years.

The redlines were dropped on all the engines because they were not too realistic before for the car types. I doubt it will rise again TBH
I would like to think the patch Y rev limiter as a temporary fix until we get a better engine damage model.
#21 - Woz
Quote from March Hare :I would like to think the patch Y rev limiter as a temporary fix until we get a better engine damage model.

You do realise don't you that in patch Y the redline was also lowered for all cars, not just the rev limiter. The limiter has always been there and of similar distance from redline I believe, I don't tend to hit the limiter myself to be 100% sure.

You HAVE to re-gear you setups to use the new lower reving engines. That is just the way it is. The redline and limiter is not wrong, its just different from before
The rev limiter on my Saturn is 6500rpm. I obviously haven't hit the rev limiter before, but that's what the manual for the car says. In Park/Neutral, the rev limiter is 4000rpm. But I don't rev the engine in Park/Neutral.
my rev limiter is at 7500... hmmm thats the same as the XRT lol.
#24 - Osco
mine's about here
looking to raise it to about 8000rpm though
Attached images
redline2.JPG
I agree that some cars could use a little more headroom in the RPM range.

Take the XRT for example, it's got a 2 litlre inline 4, and a single turbo. It should be able to touch 8,000 without much of an issue (I'm talking when shifting, not holding it at 8,000 for the hell of it) Same goes for the FXO, it should be able to reach higher rpms (just look at its real world counter-parts)
~Bryan~

(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG