The online racing simulator
Patch Issues - without the emotions
Wow, what a Hornets Nest this Patch Y has stirred up. After having a good read through quite a few posts, I came away thinking that what I had not read was a constructive and objective, point by point look at the changes. In other words, what if you like a concept, but not the way it has been done....do you vote for or against?

I will start by saying that I like the concept of the clutch changes and I also generally like the way it seems to work, despite the need for me to go slow until I re-learn this part of my driving. Perhaps more work could be done on the Drag Coefficient modelling, as it seems a little arbitrary at this stage.

I do not like the changes to the engine dynamics. For whatever reason, it now feels like driving a car with an electronic "hard" limiter (like a pit speed limiter) set very close to the shift point (or so it seems). While I have raced cars with very little between shift and hard limit, it is most unusual to (a) have such a small gap and (b) have such a system fitted to a vehicle that does not have at least 3 stage warning lights. Yes, I will get used to it. Yes, I do like the idea. Yes, I think it needs considerable improvement.

Changes that affect Demo users. I agree with all of them, but cannot say why without offending a lot of people that drift.

Changes to Instruments - Digital Speedo. WHY???????
I sit comfortably behind the wheel and far enough away that my long legs have some room. From time to time, I glance at the instruments. Tacho is too small and lo res to be useful, so I glance at the Digital Speedo to compare entry/exit speeds etc.
If it neither adds or detracts, why not leave it as a user option?

There are many other changes, but so far, I have not had time to learn them enough to justify a comment.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion. I remain in awe of the development team and don't wish this to be seen as criticism of their wonderful work. Seasons Greetings to all.
The speedo is mostly worthless as since X (or sumthin) it reads the speed from the tranny, diff or somewhat and does not give accurate readings.

Analog gauges really are more useful to see how much speed/rpm you're carrying through the corner as you don't have to focus your eyes away from the road as the needle's angle shows the approximate value.

Your old sets aren't really compatible with Y so you should adjust the gearings to get the most out of your usable revs.

Quote from TenTimes :Changes that affect Demo users. I agree with all of them, but cannot say why without offending a lot of people that drift.

If you do not support the game you are enjoying so much, you on default lose your every right to complain about the direction of the development.
#3 - joen
Well, your post is constructive and some thought went into it, so I don't think anyone will hold that against you. It's all in how you bring forth your opinion

One thing I have been wondering about and honestly been surprised about is how many people seem to rely on the speedometer, wether it be analogue or digital, to enter/exit corners. I'm not saying it's wrong or anything (maybe I'm the weird one here for not doing it), but I actually rarely look at my speedometer and rely more on "feel" and gearing.

I fear the discussion about the speedometer will not lead to any conclusion soon. One will say it's more realistic because road cars rarely have digital speedometers, others will say in real life you can buy kits for it, others will not even care.
I do suspect however that the upcoming interior updates will be/are used to better accomodate both sides and adress issues. It's true in some cars the digital speedometers are hard to read, besides there are more problems with the dashboard in several cars (I can't even see my gear indicator in the MRT, which I find way more of a problem).
So I think issues with readability will be adressed in the next update. The GTR's will have proper GTR interiors and the road cars will be updated as well. I'm sure some of the discussion about this subject will be taken into consideration.
so using digital speedo in a car that doesnt have it is a cheat rite?
#5 - Krayy
As a recreational motorcyclist, I have more of a tendency to use the engine note to gauge my shift points.

Problem is that I can also clutch less shift on the bike, whereas I now find myself being very conscious about the "clutch in-shift-lift-clutch out-wait for clutch to fully engage-power on".

This is more tricky on the H-gated cars as there is a decent gap between shift and clutch biting and is a bit too much to think about with 3 or 4 others on your bumper (yeah right, as if I'm ever at the front of the group :razz.
Quote from TenTimes :
I do not like the changes to the engine dynamics. For whatever reason, it now feels like driving a car with an electronic "hard" limiter (like a pit speed limiter) set very close to the shift point (or so it seems).

Not if you tweak your gear ratios to get some decent torque curves.

Quote from TenTimes : Changes to Instruments - Digital Speedo. WHY???????

Not having put much thought into it, and I don't care enough to, I have a feeling it was done to give the sense of a difference in car class and era.

Quote from TenTimes :From time to time, I glance at the instruments. Tacho is too small and lo res to be useful, so I glance at the Digital Speedo to compare entry/exit speeds etc.

You do know that it's a rather rough estimate as wheelspin, or lack of, can cause it to be quite off the mark, right? Which brings us back to actually using the needle angle which instantly delivers you this same rough estimate. After all, the best instrument to measure your speed is time (split times and lap time) - with experience you can tell if you fumbled a turn or you took it spot on, but if you can't then the chronometer won't lie to you.
Quote from joen :One thing I have been wondering about and honestly been surprised about is how many people seem to rely on the speedometer, wether it be analogue or digital, to enter/exit corners. I'm not saying it's wrong or anything (maybe I'm the weird one here for not doing it), but I actually rarely look at my speedometer and rely more on "feel" and gearing.

Yes, I agree. The speedo, whether in a real car, or here, is only ever a very rough indicator of anything at all. Having said that, it is still very useful as a relative tool. When working on setups, if you are driving consistently and see that your slowest speed in a long corner is X, then you make changes and it becomes X+1, then it may be that you've found some more speed. As I say, it is a relative tool only. My issue with losing the digital speedo was that it is much easier to see minor changes.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG