The online racing simulator
Found one performance leak
(64 posts, closed, started )
kid: in real life you also get fast upset when someone says something to you? if so I think you can use some anger management... and for now: maybe just breath twice before making a post, it's really getting useles imho.

all userinput is appreciated, even if everyone knows there's no need to react like this.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :mediocrity shouldnt be encouraged here, much less AT THE WRONG SECTION.

While I agree that this is in the wrong subforum (General Discussion is totally unrelated to this system config "discovery"), I don't see any reason to get worked up over it - MadCat didn't say it was LFS's fault in his thread-starting post (unless I missed something), he just posted what he discovered about his setup; which in the long run just might help someone else who's got a similar "problem".
oh god illepall
Geeez, beware of the flamewars EAX will cause. :rolleyes:

I mean... if it was rFactor or any other ISI game, then I could "understand" it, but really, EAX ?! :slap:
-- Comments retracted.
Why are certain individuals in this community so hell bent on chasing ppl away?? Here we have someone, who, wrong or not, has found something he thinks might help others. He posts here, in good intentions, only to find himself under the gun. God forbid some actually want to assist others in improving their LFS performance. It would seem if one disagrees with this find, a more constructive reply would benefit everyone.
Quote from Goresh :Why are certain individuals in this community so hell bent on chasing ppl away?? Here we have someone, who, wrong or not, has found something he thinks might help others. He posts here, in good intentions, only to find himself under the gun. God forbid some actually want to assist others in improving their LFS performance. It would seem if one disagrees with this find, a more constructive reply would benefit everyone.

Exactly.

I guess he himself is absolutely flawless, never makes any mistake.

To use 'wtf' in this context is absurd.
Quote from Goresh :Why are certain individuals in this community so hell bent on chasing ppl away??

Because some people think they're better or more intelligent than the rest of us.
well i agree with kid, its nonsense that this kind of thing is posted, every time i look on these forums i see the most incredible posts (of course repeated a bazillion times either here or on rsc). seriously now if you turn off the sound in lfs doesnt it give you some more fps??? now if you turn off all the eye candy, aa, af and whatnot there is more fps??? i wonder if ther will be even more if i flip that button in my pc...
Quote from AndroidXP :
I mean... if it was rFactor or any other ISI game, then I could "understand" it, but really, EAX ?! :slap:

hehe thats the beauty of it. i have 0 personal interest in this thread except in helping some people in thinking a bit more before posting. no beef here, deep down i love yall.
sorry everyone i go back to my german built ubber engineered cage, only to return when the subject is auread 3d.
Quote from Barroso :seriously now if you turn off the sound in lfs doesnt it give you some more fps??? now if you turn off all the eye candy, aa, af and whatnot there is more fps??? i wonder if ther will be even more if i flip that button in my pc...

Actually, what was initially posted was about disabling EAX, not turning off the sound completely. And disabling EAX as far as I remember in older liveware drivers isn't something straightforward as clicking on a checkbox or moving a slider (this might have changed with newer creative labs drivers). And that's why most games have an option to use the EAX API or not - however as I posted before, I don't think LFS uses it.

However, yes, avoiding inane posts would be nice - especially in the "General LFS Discussions" where we get so many other interesting spam threads about the dev's kitchens or their hair or whatever else and quite a lot stuff that should be in bug reports or improvement suggestions...
Quote from xaotik :
However, yes, avoiding inane posts would be nice - especially in the "General LFS Discussions" where we get so many other interesting spam threads about the dev's kitchens or their hair or whatever else and quite a lot stuff that should be in bug reports or improvement suggestions...

hehe smart greek warning
you saying i didnt read the thread?then actually you shouldnt try to correct other people when you dont understand what i stated.
Quote from xaotik :however as I posted before, I don't think LFS uses it.

then why would he get some 80% more fps if he disables eax ?
Quote from Shotglass :then why would he get some 80% more fps if he disables eax ?

I don't even know what EAX is, so i guarantee LFS doesn't use it. But from what i've seen here, it sound like some kind of post-processing sound effect that uses up a lot of CPU cycles.

EDIT : whatever it is, LFS doesn't use it intentionally. But it doesn't switch it off either. I should have said "LFS is unaware of EAX". If it's a reverb / echo system, LFS doesn't really need it because it has its own echo system that depends on the track environment. But you may find that some external reverb effect improves the sound - and if that helps the sound then go ahead and use it, as long as it doesn't take up loads of CPU time!
Quote from KiDCoDEa :Seems you couldnt understand the analogy in the posts but what it meant for you 95% people that think tristan posts is the best shit since sliced bread, is:

Dragging me into this!?!?! Thats not fair, no one has said (to me) they liked or disliked the one post in the thread from me.
Quote from Shotglass :then why would he get some 80% more fps if he disables eax ?

Hmmm - actually, he didn't just disable EAX, he used an entirely different driver (from what he says atleast) - so this fps gain is probably not just EAX-related.

Quote from tristancliffe :Thats not fair, no one has said (to me) they liked or disliked the one post in the thread from me.

Your post was terrible - but you probably had left your butler unattended so he improvised, quite understandable.
#43 - jmkz
Quote from Scawen :I don't even know what EAX is,

The environmental audio extensions (or EAX) are a number of digital signal processing presets for audio, present in Creative Labs later Sound Blaster sound cards and the Creative Nomad product line. EAX displaced the alternative A3D (Aureal 3-Dimensional) in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_audio_extensions

it has to be included in the programmation for it to work, it does not work when the game has no code written for it.
Ufff, what a posts are now here....I will try to answer on anything that you have mentioned

1) OK, I might gave this thread more exact name
2) Perf. problem, is caused by EAX, it is not only and driver issue. I've tested three SND cards with EAX and always got the same(CMI9880, SB Live! and recenlty SBAudigy2)
3) Yup, I shloud place this to Tech. Assistane

Maybe there should be some routine that will ban EAX when LFSing. Swapping SNDcards and drivers is not very practical, is it? If anyone knows about utility that can do this, let us know. I think that doubling LFS sound system by EAX can slow down systems with certain HW/SW configuration. Dunno when exactly this problem occures, but there are lot of people saying "I have powerful PC and everything except LFS is running fine" I noticed that most of these sysems uses EAX capable sound.

EAX itself doesn't slow games too much, for ex. FarCry and Lock-On runs me at same speed no matter if EAX is on/off/not supported. (and Lock-On IS REEEAAALLLY CPU HUNGRY)

BTW: Can anyone change name of this thread to something more suitable? I must admit that "Found Perf. leak" is not too good.

@TristanCliffe: Yup, you're right. I'll throw away my P4 3.2 and get 2x Opteron 870.... Maybe it'll help.....
Quote from MadCatX :If anyone knows about utility that can do this, let us know.

I seem to remember that, when running the stock creative labs drivers, if you run dxdiag and go to the sound tab of your EAX-enabled device and set the "hardware sound acceleration" slider under "directX features" to "standard" instead of "full" then EAX is disabled. Not sure what else is disabled in the process though.
Quote from xaotik :I seem to remember that, when running the stock creative labs drivers, if you run dxdiag and go to the sound tab of your EAX-enabled device and set the "hardware sound acceleration" slider under "directX features" to "standard" instead of "full" then EAX is disabled. Not sure what else is disabled in the process though.

Many thanks XAOTIK, I have the same problem so will try this later.
Quote from xaotik :

Your post was terrible - but you probably had left your butler unattended so he improvised, quite understandable.

rofl
Quote :how about u ignorant-yet-non-arrogant people that buy $$$$ hardware and have no ****in idea about what it is doing, grab ya silly mediocre asses and spam the website of creative, aureal, turtlebeach or whatever magazines that rate hw, make u buy?mediocrity shouldnt be encouraged here, much less AT THE WRONG SECTION.

There is nothing wrong being mediocre, at all. Not everyone can be God. Why in all your wisdom could you not have notified a moderator to move this topic into the correct place?
My card's not expensive btw. It's the cheapest half-decent one I could find at the time.

Quote :lfs , the stand alone app, wont fix or tweak your computer and OS in the first place, and also it doesnt support on/off switches for things it doesnt integrate.

I can understand that, I see no EAX option. I don't see any separate AA / AF settings either. However, driver-level selection of these options do affect it anyway. Controlling AA & AF from the driver settings has a huge impact on FPS whether or not LFS has them selectable in the in-game settings. Also, like I said before, disabling the EAX feature from the soundcard drivers also made a significant difference in the in-game sounds, in LFS. The CMSS 3D option I referred to (I suspect) upmixes everything going thru the mixer, including sounds in games that do not support EAX natively.

Quote :how do u pinpoint the stupidity in such a thread without expressing that i, like many, are ****in tired of retarded threads here?
dats what i call spam. when content doesnt match the forum aim.

Again, if you were nice to begin with, explained nicely why this was in the incorrect section and henceforth notified a moderator about it, perhaps it would no longer be in the wrong place.

What puzzles me is why waste any time on such a stupid thread, when you could save yourself from dealing with mediocre people, by simply ignoring the thread.

Back on topic now:
Quote :I seem to remember that, when running the stock creative labs drivers, if you run dxdiag and go to the sound tab of your EAX-enabled device and set the "hardware sound acceleration" slider under "directX features" to "standard" instead of "full" then EAX is disabled. Not sure what else is disabled in the process though.

That sounds great, simple way of disabling it. Didn't know you could do that..

*edit whoops didn't read that correctly at first. The above should work on all EAX enabled devices if you have DX installed (you do )

Can't find any list that says exactly how changing the sound acceleration works, but.. since it's easy to try, go for it
Quote :Lowering the Hardware Sound Acceleration Level from the default setting of "full acceleration" may disable advanced audio processing techniques, such as 3D spatialization from functioning.

Quote from KiDCoDEa :is there a setting to turn off dx10 shaders? no.
is there a setting to turn off the guns included in the cars? no
is there a setting to turn off these stupid threads? no.
is there a setting to turn u off? no.
is there a setting to disable AA, AF ingame? no
is there a setting to turn p2p off? no
is there a setting to turn off eax, aureal3d, dolbysurround or fukin stupid prologic? no

BENFICA TURNED OFF MAN U THOUGH!

and you sexy germ, turn me on. raaaaaaaaaaaaaawwoorrrr

don't be posting drunken nonsense please...
This thread is closed

Found one performance leak
(64 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG