realistic rev counters
(13 posts, started )
realistic rev counters
the MRT5 doesnt have one, the others are fine
What isn't realistic about it?
the fact it redlines at 7k but the rev counter goes to 13k
#4 - wark
Quote from R3DMAN :the fact it redlines at 7k but the rev counter goes to 13k

What? It redlines at 13000, where the limiter kicks in. The real (unadulterated) R6 engine redlined at 15500.

The MRT5 is intake-restricted. It's not going to hurt the engine to spin faster, though, so why should the redline be lower?
Quote from R3DMAN :the fact it redlines at 7k but the rev counter goes to 13k

Maybe thats how the car is designed. Anyone ever seen a MRT5 in real life? Doe it even have a rev counter and speedo? :/
It has a rev counter. Not sure about the speedo.

The engine is safe to rev, and the rev counter would almost certainly be a high rev one like we have. But there is no point, with the restriction and the compression reduction, to rev above 7k, which is where the [roughly] shift light (not to be confused with the redline, which is 1000% different) comes on.
so you have an engine that will rev up to 13k.. and you put a limiter on it to 7K...

whats the point in that?

i think i was abit unclear..

when you rev it the shift light comes on at 7k.. thats what i meant
Quote from R3DMAN :so you have an engine that will rev up to 13k.. and you put a limiter on it to 7K...

whats the point in that?

Its not though, the limiter is set to 13,000 but the shift indicator tells you when to change for the best shift time. If you didn't shift then you could rev it higher. Only reason optimum shift point is so low is the mrt uses a restrictor in the intake system (and tristan said lower compression) which alters the torque and power curves but un restriced engine could easily rev to the 13k.
MRT

Just tested

Redline 13000rpm
Shift Light came on at 8500rpm

There is nothing wrong there, as the engine has an air intake restrictor, which cannot pass enough air at higher revs to satisfy the motor. The optimum shift point (and the point it's not really worth revving above) is therefore lower. How much lower will depends on your gearing. But it's a real world effect, and the universities (well, mine at least, as I spent several weeks helping to optimise it) go to considerable lengths to reduce the consequences as much as possible.

I still have a nifty idea that would help them, but they didn't want to try it
#10 - Ospi
Was in the uni team which built one of these for competition this year and as far as the ones in LFS go, there is nothing out of the ordinary there. Design varies from uni to uni though so one having a speedo, one not etc vaires.
oh fair enough
Why do you care about the rev limiter, when you are in a race (which is what LFS is all about) you are not looking at the rev limiter, you are looking at the road in front of you.....and I thought that you S2 drivers are pro's. Well most of you are.
Quote from Snake2 : I thought that you S2 drivers are pro's. Well most of you are.

redman is a legend is his own lunchtime he used to be one of the best drivers in the stcc

realistic rev counters
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG