The online racing simulator
New computer shopping
(17 posts, started )
New computer shopping
Hey guys!

I received some good news this morning that I will be starting a new job next month. This has given me the luxury of being able to purchase a new computer for personal and LFS use.

I am looking for a desktop and monitor that will give me a few years of use before needing any upgrades. As far a budget, I would like to spend less than $3k. I would pay a bit more for the ability to use the monitor to replace my television. Coming in under budget is also good. There are other places to spend my money. I have no real interest in putting my own computer together, so I would prefer an assembled PC.

All I would use the PC for is LFS, internet, office programs, a few DVDs or CDs. Obviously, my priority is LFS performance.

For the moment, I have been looking at Dell, Alienware, WidowPC, and a couple others. What should I be looking for, if it's possible at my price point. If there are other builders to be aware of, please post away.

Thanks,
Mike
Lol, it's really funny how you are asking if it's possible at your "price point." To get a computer that does what you stated you would be using it for REALLY REALLY WELL, you'd only need to spend $1k...

Basically, anything is up for grabs. I personally hate Dell, but if you look at maybe like HP or the like, there are some nice HTPCs available from most all manufacturers at this point.
So your saying I could get a really nice monitor. ;-) I've had good luck with my Dell notebook circa 2003. I'm thinking I might try one of their XPS series desktops.

What do you think of this setup? Am I lacking in any department, or going overboard?
PROCESSOR........... Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Digital Cable Support
MEMORY............... 3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
HARD DRIVE.......... 320GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE..... Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
MONITORS............ 24 inch E248WFP Entry Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Monitor
VIDEO CARD......... 512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
SOUND CARD......... Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
TV TUNER & VIDEO. XCELERATOR ATI Theater 650 PRO Combo Analog/Digital TV Tuner with Remote Control
BLUETOOTH AND MEDIA READER Dell Bluetooth Wireless Media Hub + Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse
KEYBOARD............ Keyboard included in Dell Bluetooth Package
MOUSE................ Mouse included in Dell Bluetooth Package
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER Dell Media Card Reader included in Dell Bluetooth Package
WI-FI AND MODEM. No Modem Requested

Looks like I might be able to start a G25 fund for when my Momo kicks the bucket.

Thany!
Well, you're definitely not "lacking" in any part. I would get a bigger hard drive, just because this is an insane PC, and you just the hard drive seems a bit... small comparatively. Might as well go for 500 Gb at least.

Also, I dunno what kind of TV Tuners you can get from Dell, but if a Hauppauge is an option, they're great cards.

ALSO, I personally prefer that my desktop have a wireless card. Even if you don't quite need it, its nothing compared to what that will cost, and it's useful if you ever need it.

Now, about your question. That is LUDICROUSLY overboard for a desktop that will only be running LFS and Microsoft Word, lol. Like, seriously - if you wanna get that system, go ahead - you'll be set for quite a while. But if you really, REALLY only plan on running LFS, you could downgrade a LOT of those components, and buy yourself TWO G25 sets and a great speaker set.
Thanks. That's what I'm looking for. The G25 is on my short list of future upgrades. My audio situation is being taken care of by my trusty home theater system. Here I thought I was going to be spending a huge chunk of change. I guess computers have really come down in price over the years. All my memories recall entry level packages of at least $1800. What a time we live in. lol
Here is what I put together, though I would HIGHLY recommend you put it together yourself, as you would knock about $500 off the price just doing it yourself. We would gladly help you out with selecting parts and any problems you run into if you do choose to do build the computer.

EDIT: take off the Klipsch Speakers if you are using your own set. New Total = ~$2187?
I have just one question...

What is Skeet?

Quote from The General Lee :I have just one question...

What is Skeet?

Shooting sport using clay pigeons?

Should I know a different meaning?
Oops, didn't see that you already made an order
Yup. The monitor arrived yesterday. It's sitting in my bedroom because there's no room for it and my laptop on my desk. This thing is HUUUUUGE! I can't wait to get it fired up.

The computer is in Philly after spending yesterday on a plane from Los Angeles. Might get here today if I'm home to sign for it.

What's on your mind, H3adbang3r?
I had a list of parts that you could get a kickass computer out of, for a decent price, and I posted before seeing that you already made a purchase. One thing is, I wouldn't buy a prebuilt from Cyberpower again as I have heard about countless problems with other models.
I picked up the computer from the UPS depot last night. So far so good. The hardware look to have been installed with care (looking through the plexi window and blue neon). It runs quiet. Slight fan noise, but this thing had 6 fans at last count. Temp display and controller. Not one software issue either. All I had to do was hook up the wires and have fun.

I have also quickly fallen in love with 37" inches of 1080p glory. LFS actually made me a little dizzy for the first couple laps. Once I find a good TV tuner, I'll be all set.

Edit: This post is on two and a half line on my screen
Quote from PAracer :I picked up the computer from the UPS depot last night. So far so good. The hardware look to have been installed with care (looking through the plexi window and blue neon). It runs quiet. Slight fan noise, but this thing had 6 fans at last count. Temp display and controller. Not one software issue either. All I had to do was hook up the wires and have fun.

I have also quickly fallen in love with 37" inches of 1080p glory. LFS actually made me a little dizzy for the first couple laps. Once I find a good TV tuner, I'll be all set.

Edit: This post is on two and a half line on my screen

ruddy show off
Why would you get an 8600GT? You could have got something a LOT better to power that huge screen, the new 8800 GTS would be sweet.
~Bryan~
Or a very good 8800GT 512MB, which is very cheap for its very good performance.
I could have done better in a lot of ways.
But...
I've been running with every option maxxed out. Not sure why I'd need a better vid card. I did have a memory card crap out on me yesterday. Fortunately, the store had Kingston 1gig value cards for $35. Picked up two of them and am working on getting the bad one replaced.

New computer shopping
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG