The online racing simulator
Formula BMW FB02 - SO6 - Hotlap
(12 posts, started )
I made one with the new FBM at the new BL1 track so I figured I'd make one of the new South City track. This is as 1:07.33, nothing to fancy but a nice, clean lap.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WLC9pC-Z0dM
#2 - kaynd
Nice lap.

As for the video, why there is always that black border? Youtube's video resolution is already low and you are wasting many pixels with that…
Quote from kaynd :Nice lap.

As for the video, why there is always that black border? Youtube's video resolution is already low and you are wasting many pixels with that…

That depends on the resolution in which record. I'm running the highest resolution possible on this system which as you can see doesn't fit the youtube border requirements, and I certainly don't want to distort the video in any way. I run this resolution because I'm more worried about how they will look in Hi Res format as compared to YT. You'll also notice that the Hi Res versions of my videos also have the black lines on the side, but not the top and bottom. It really all depends on the video resolution being converted to smaller formats. I've also learned that different codec's also give different border effects.
#4 - kaynd
Ah i see.
I just always keep the aspect ratio at 4:3 or 16:9 and haven’t faced that kind of problem at all.
But if you have a TFT and using a 5:4 resolution (1280*1024) then it is normal having borders.
But tbh in your case it seems just a bit zoomed out

Anyway nice video making activity
Quote from kaynd :Ah i see.
I just always keep the aspect ratio at 4:3 or 16:9 and haven’t faced that kind of problem at all.
But if you have a TFT and using a 5:4 resolution (1280*1024) then it is normal having borders.
But tbh in your case it seems just a bit zoomed out

Anyway nice video making activity

You hit the nail on the head with that one, thats excatly the resolution I use. What do you mean it seems just a bit zoomed out?
nice lap vid
#7 - kaynd
I mean that you have borders both up-down and left right so you can increase the overall image size by not changing it’s aspect ratio till you run out of the available height or width. (I really struggle sometimes to explain something simple in English, sorry for that:schwitz

To deal with that you should change the aspect ratio to 4:3 (cause that is the A.R. of youtubes video frame) just for the youtube version by adding the appropriate borders so you don’t distort the image.
eg If your video resolution is 1280*1024 to convert it to 4:3 without cropping you have to fit it in a 1366*1024 frame by adding 2 black borders right-left 43pixels on each side. Of course there is no reason uploading it on youtube in that resolution so you could do it in a lower resolution with the same aspect ratio (4:3) e.g 640*480
But right now I don’t see that kind of borders in your video. It’s more like they are equal in height and width.

Anyway it not worth mentioning… cause youtubes quality is already cr@p and the resolution is so small (320*240) that the distortion between 4:3 and 5:4 ar, is not even noticeable.
Quote from kaynd :I mean that you have borders both up-down and left right so you can increase the overall image size by not changing it’s aspect ratio till you run out of the available height or width. (I really struggle sometimes to explain something simple in English, sorry for that:schwitz

To deal with that you should change the aspect ratio to 4:3 (cause that is the A.R. of youtubes video frame) just for the youtube version by adding the appropriate borders so you don’t distort the image.
eg If your video resolution is 1280*1024 to convert it to 4:3 without cropping you have to fit it in a 1366*1024 frame by adding 2 black borders right-left 43pixels on each side. Of course there is no reason uploading it on youtube in that resolution so you could do it in a lower resolution with the same aspect ratio (4:3) e.g 640*480
But right now I don’t see that kind of borders in your video. It’s more like they are equal in height and width.

Anyway it not worth mentioning… cause youtubes quality is already cr@p and the resolution is so small (320*240) that the distortion between 4:3 and 5:4 ar, is not even noticeable.

Wow mate thanks for the info. It's something we should fix but as you said, youtube sucks so bad as it is that it's not going to change a whole lot. This is the main reason we try to entice people to download the full version of videos, if of course their good.
I wonder how people reach 215-220 km/h running the SO Chicane straight. I have a setup able to run 1.05.xx and can´t go faster than 1.09.10 reaching a top speed of 204 km/h.
Quote from NikLaw :I wonder how people reach 215-220 km/h running the SO Chicane straight. I have a setup able to run 1.05.xx and can´t go faster than 1.09.10 reaching a top speed of 204 km/h.

Yeah, that lap in all honestly isn't very good. Main thing is you have to really focus on those corners that lead on to the straight aways. You might even want to try on loosing a little time on entry to get a good exit speed.

BTW I might update the video when patch Y comes out but I doubt it...
Quote from kaynd :eg If your video resolution is 1280*1024 to convert it to 4:3 without cropping you have to fit it in a 1366*1024 frame by adding 2 black borders right-left 43pixels on each side. Of course there is no reason uploading it on youtube in that resolution so you could do it in a lower resolution with the same aspect ratio (4:3) e.g 640*480

Yes, if you only make videos for youtube it doesn't need to be recorded in your TFT's native resolution. 640x480 or 800x600 is actually suitable, you might even have enough power left to use some FSAA/AF while recording. Then just lower that to 320x240 which is officially recommended youtube size for best possible quality.

And using any borders should be always avoided... except if you upload 16:9 footage, then of course letterboxed is better than pan & scanned. (btw, youtube adds automatically borders on .avi files to fit it to 4:3 screen)

Quote :Anyway it not worth mentioning… cause youtubes quality is already cr@p and the resolution is so small (320*240) that the distortion between 4:3 and 5:4 ar, is not even noticeable.

Well things are slightly "fatter".
Quote from deggis :(btw, youtube adds automatically borders on .avi files to fit it to 4:3 screen)

Well things are slightly "fatter".

I think that could also be one of my problems, thanks.

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG