The online racing simulator
This whining
(152 posts, started )
Quote from JTbo :How about using pov between up and right position (viistot/väli-ilmansuunnat) for example, that would use 2 buttons, right?

just tried it, no go.

profiler sees all 8 directions as separate, so pushing up&right is not the same as up and right simultaneously.

lfs doesn't even recognize the in-between positions

edit: i sort of got it working by using the "FPS style movement" in profiler. now up on the d-pad looks right 45deg and left looks left 45deg. pressing both at the same time is possible but weird
Well, then I guess one must use some other means or have to use 45 degree view

Maybe it makes driving more careful, who knows :P
On my DFP:

Triangle = look left 45
Circle = look right 45

I use my right thumb to press them eirher individually or together to get the 90 look. Works.
I hate that damn digital speedo is must to have on GTR cars, it distracts me so much :@
Just for the record, i prefer bigger FOV cos i'm having normal 17'' monitor. If i would have 19'' wide screen I'm sure I would use less, but I don't and i want to see my mirrors so I use 95 FOV
Quote from Hyperactive :Not trying to spit on the latest update but the clutch heat is really really small realism update.

The clutch heat has done more to improve the realism in LFS than things like removing digital speedo, fcv et al will ever do! The improvements to clutch, engine inertia and gear shifting have made the racing in LFS more realistic than any patch I can remember. Not since the release of S2 with such things as tyre heat and wear has there been such an improvement.

Removing digital speedo has done nothing for LFS, personally it has no impact on me with a 24" widescreen monitor but many people obviously have issues being able to read the analogue gauges.

It also seems that nowadays no one actually remembers what whining means. Try to say anything that may be construed as negative and/or unrealistic and suddenly your a whinging arcade racer.
Quote :For the record: I raced against 15 AI drivers, and I'm blaming low FPS because I finished 15th! God damn they got fast! I ran them again and spectated them the next race from the cockpit - watching the AI's inputs and the body language of the car it looked spookily like they were... enjoying it!

Yep- they're much quicker alright. Before, they were always easy to beat, unless they swiped your back wheels at the start of a race. Now, I can only beat them only on 'O.K.' setting.. with quick or pro, they're rather too quick and.. err.. professional.

Good on 'em.
I find this patch very welcome apart from one thing (Im quoting myself):

"Why in earth we, momo racers can't use the old system with auto throttle cut and blip? There is still automatic gearbox...
-Gear change auto throttle cut and blip options removed
Why not remove automatic gearbox then? I don't see it being fair right now.."

LFS tries to aim for realism and this new gear simulation is one step closer to it BUT, there is still automatic box for every car. Is that realistic?

To mee it seems funny and unfair to remove auto throttle cut and blip from momo users like myself as it desnt work properly on every car with autoclutch & momo because it's really ment for people with clutch pedal.
I don't really mean to "whine" here since I've driven more than 150 laps with the new system and I still think the old system with auto throttle cut and blip was more fun/realistic combo with my momo.
Whine
-to complain or protest in a childish manner or about trivial things

I think also repeating same minor things over and over again which has been said many times already, could be classified to whining, for example missing digital speedo.

But as I have told before, you are allowed to tell your opinion, but if it is not a bug (missing digital speedo, no 90 degree view to sides for example are not bugs), don't post in bug thread, post somewhere else.

Note if issue has already mentioned, if it is think if your message will be adding anything to issue, if not then posting about issue is going to be just whining about trivial things.
Quote from Californian :I find this patch very welcome apart from one thing (Im quoting myself):

"Why in earth we, momo racers can't use the old system with auto throttle cut and blip? There is still automatic gearbox...
-Gear change auto throttle cut and blip options removed
Why not remove automatic gearbox then? I don't see it being fair right now.."

LFS tries to aim for realism and this new gear simulation is one step closer to it BUT, there is still automatic box for every car. Is that realistic?

To mee it seems funny and unfair to remove auto throttle cut and blip from momo users like myself as it desnt work properly on every car with autoclutch & momo because it's really ment for people with clutch pedal.
I don't really mean to "whine" here since I've driven more than 150 laps with the new system and I still think the old system with auto throttle cut and blip was more fun/realistic combo with my momo.

Eh, dfp has no clutch pedal either and there is no any trouble driving with it.

Throttle cut, lift throttle pull gear in apply throttle again, very easy, you just need bit more patience than before.

Blipping then, it is not really needed, change down later, but still you can blip without clutch pedal perfectly fine.

It is only issue of learning new methods of driving, everyone has to do that more or less.

BTW, driving with clutch and shifter is a LOT harder than driving combined axis without throttle blip and cut options and those that use clutch will need to be much more careful that they don't burn clutch.

I would say that accepting new things will make life richer than sticking with old and safe
Yes I think I'll cope with the new gearbox, soon

But that automatic gearbox kinda bothers in a way.. Some people say: "Yeah now we got ourselfs hard core sim with proper gears 'n stuff" but the automatic box for every car is still there, kinda feels like manual is harder than before and automatic is the way it has always been

BTW, when I start at the start of the race I rev till the green light and just shift to 1st gear. Clutch gets orange damage of about 0.5-1mm and same happens with clutch. So I guess that's normal?
Quote from Californian :Yes I think I'll cope with the new gearbox, soon

But that automatic gearbox kinda bothers in a way.. Some people say: "Yeah now we got ourselfs hard core sim with proper gears 'n stuff" but the automatic box for every car is still there, kinda feels like manual is harder than before and automatic is the way it has always been

BTW, when I start at the start of the race I rev till the green light and just shift to 1st gear. Clutch gets orange damage of about 0.5-1mm and same happens with clutch. So I guess that's normal?

That is not damage, that is heat from friction and it is perfectly normal

Proper auto box as option would be much better than current one, would show how automatics are really not for racing, but would allow those to use it that find manual gears impossible. Don't really mind if that is for all cars then, manual would be so much better anyways
Ok then, thanks to the info
Quote from JTbo :

I think also repeating (...)

But as I have told before (...)

Well look at you whining about whining.
If you shake the tree, some apples will fall. It is always the way. The tree continues to grow and produce even more apples.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Don't worry, LFS will not alienate anyone. I'm sure there is a reason why you, me, and thousands of other people come here on a regular basis: because we love this game. When you love a game, you won't stop loving it cause of some minor changes such as no throttle blip. Anyone who loves this game would learn to play the game in a new way to account for these changes. And anyone who doesn't want to change their ways, but who want to complain, don't deserve sympathy from anyone here, especially the devs.

Scawen started this LFS project to try to make the most realistic racing simulator possible. People liked it, and still do, because it is more difficult and realistic than other (arcade) games on the market.

Well it just got even more difficult. People who like this game will adapt, and people who don't like it will find something easier. But I don't think we will lose people, as this is by far the best racing game out there, and anyone who goes from this to NFS will be back here in a heartbeat.

This is the game now. Learn to play it, or .

You talk about alienation yet you seem to accept no negative or constructive criticism with regard to the latest "Test" patch!

"Test patch" for the end user means, play it and let us know about bugs and problems etc. For the DEVS it would mean that as well. Another thing they will be looking for is consumer reaction. This is so important in more ways than I wish to mention now.

Of course there are "Die Hard" realism fans in the LFS community that welcome the new changes. I do to... although its taken some getting used too! But there are people out there like the drifters and cruisers or even the not so serious racer who may not like the new changes.

Although LFS has a desire to produce the ultimate sim they still have to cater for those that have spent their money on LFS, wheels, hardware upgrades and internet connectivity! They are LFS customers and they need to be treated like one! Not dragged over the coals by other racers and told to adapt or find something else to play! People all over the world have invested in millions of dollars to use LFS and will continue to do so.

Show some respect!

As I have mentioned in a previous post, they should leave all the settings there, make it host controllable!
Quote from Gunn :If you shake the tree, some apples will fall. It is always the way. The tree continues to grow and produce even more apples.

and they're usually bigger and better the next season round
. but back on topic.
i used digital speedo so i could guage my apex speeds (it only take a split second to look). i have done this from the start. i will admit that the new speedo is a bit of a pain for someone like me (who has used digital speedo) but progress cannot happen without change. i will get used to it in time and after a while i will probs prefere the new speedo.
@ blueflame, fair enough IRL there is no speedo in race cars. but IRL you have alot more sensations to tell you how fast you are going (g-force, vibrations, wind, objects moving past you) but on a computer, you only really have your eyes and ears and maybe ffb. a digital speedo show you how fast you are going just like all the above factors would. maybe before you post you should think of the arguement from the other side too?
Quote from kingfishersa : Another thing they will be looking for is consumer reaction. This is so important in more ways than I wish to mention now.

Except it is well known that the dev's are NOT making LFS for you (me or any other consumer), it's their own project to do as they see fit. So you couldn't be more wrong...
Quote from kingfishersa :
Although LFS has a desire to produce the ultimate sim they still have to cater for those that have spent their money on LFS, wheels, hardware upgrades and internet connectivity!

No they don't. I don't mean to sound harsh, but LFS has never pretended to be anything else but a racing simulator. The goal of the Devs and the path they choose for the sim is not a matter of catering to anybody.

There have been significant and fundamental changes in the past which we have all had to endure and adapt to. Likely there will be more in the future. Development of LFS isn't about what we want. Thanks the Gods that the Devs haven't given in to other people's desires during the evolution of LFS. If they had we would probably be playing just another racing game instead of a stand-out simulator the likes of which has never existed before. While not everyone will be 100% happy with this evolution, many fears will be unfounded. Change can be difficult sometimes, but change in LFS has always been a step forward even if it didn't seem so at first.
Quote from arco :For ordinary racing it's maybe not so important, but it's sure as hell nice to have accurate speed reading when hotlapping.

And that means you can't use analogue speedo?....
You 'speedo' users don't really know what you DO want in my opinion. You seem to say (as a generalisation) that you can't use the analogue speedo, yet then state that any kind of speed reading is SOMETHING useful. Just use what is there. If you can't see the speed whoopdie do. Do you get a speedo on a go-kart? no. you can still do hotlapping their and not need a speedometer.
I haven't read through all the posts, but the clucth thing is a bug/flaw. If you drive correctly it isn't a problem, but in real life you can drive like a maniac and slip the clutch and start in second gear and so on, and the clutch would take it, a real clutch lasts a long time, even on cars used on a track. There is no reason the LFS clutches should burn up just by taking of in second gear a couple of times.
Quote from dadge :and they're usually bigger and better the next season round
. but back on topic.
i used digital speedo so i could guage my apex speeds (it only take a split second to look). i have done this from the start. i will admit that the new speedo is a bit of a pain for someone like me (who has used digital speedo) but progress cannot happen without change. i will get used to it in time and after a while i will probs prefere the new speedo.
@ blueflame, fair enough IRL there is no speedo in race cars. but IRL you have alot more sensations to tell you how fast you are going (g-force, vibrations, wind, objects moving past you) but on a computer, you only really have your eyes and ears and maybe ffb. a digital speedo show you how fast you are going just like all the above factors would. maybe before you post you should think of the arguement from the other side too?

Well, no offense, but you obviously haven't had much experience of racing, ask Tristan, you could guess 60mph and it be 90mph, it depends how low to the ground you are as that feels faster, it depends on teh air tempereature, and alot of things, when you are hotlapping even at an Indoor kart arena, what you thought felt like your fastest lap, usually wasn't.. That's just how racing is, you can sometimes feel that a lap is much faster when it isn't. Ok, that's not feeling SPEED as you are mentioning, but you can easily see the comparison. As for feeling speed in general, you are looking at a digi speedo, you know exactly your speed, but when feeling it, you are only going to be able to determine if you are going slow, mediumly or really fast, and even then, it alternates between different people as to what THEY think is fast.
The only problem (to me) i find with digital speedo is that i cant see the 80 km/h limit in pits
But thats a matter of time to be used with it. LFS going great!
I like the changes as they are. But, about the analog speedos, it's not that they are analog, the slightliy problem I see about them is they have too many division marks, making them a bit confusing at some resolutions.

Maybe is just a personal view. I don't have LFS here right now but could someone post some screens of real vs LFS tachs to see the size ratio between the sphere and numbers/marks?

EDIT: Some examples

The analogue speedos are fine. It's just the readability of them that's awful. Always has been really, this was a complaint a long time before this patch. The digits needed to be bigger and easier to read. It's just now people HAVE to use the analogue ones, they take notice of it and complain.

A porsche only has digits every 50 kms/h:
http://blog.hishamrana.com/ima ... S-Dashboard-1600x1200.jpg

This whining
(152 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG