The online racing simulator
This whining
(152 posts, started )
Quote from BlueFlame :why do people whine about not being able to see the speedo anyway? You can just set to Virtual gauges am i right?

Because it ain't more realistic than a digital speedometer and as second reason; it looks damn ugly.
And for those, who say just keep the RPM in your mind: do you all drive the same car?!
I think the RPM gauge is pretty good, at least i can see it :P
While that of "keeping it in your mind", the speedo, or the RPM's i agree is not very... nice O_o. If is about realism, IRL you CAN SEE the gauges correctly, not like in LFS where the gauges are... "minimalistic"
Plus, is true that the virtual ones are ugly to use it in the cockpit
Quote from BlueFlame :why do people whine about not being able to see the speedo anyway? You can just set to Virtual gauges am i right?

Because virtual gauges are just that, virtual floting thingies that look unnatural. It's not about being able to see it anyway, some of us prefer a digital display over the analogue. Someone actually said it was faster for him to glance at the analogue speedo, for me, it's the other way around and digital speedo is 100% accurate while on the analogue it feels like I'm guessing the exact number. So why not keep both options in the game??

Another use for a precise speedo: when going down the straight on BL1 with XRT at the braking point the speed is 227 kmh without wind. So if you are going 230 kmh you know the wind is blowing in your back and you must brake early for higher speed and the wind still blowing you faster. And if you are going only 225 you brake late...
The speedos will probably get much clearer in the upcoming interior updates.
Quote from The Very End :In my oppinion LFS has reached a great stage.
Now it`s truelly a simulator, but still it ain`t too hard. I think it has reached both fun and sim factor, and puted it togheter, it`s great and no other games offers that kind of game experience as I get with LFS at the moment.

Bollocks. What we have got in this patch is just a start. Lots of stuff needs to come and go before LFS is "truelly a simulator".

I mean, people are building "forum clubs" for a single clutch heat update. Not trying to spit on the latest update but the clutch heat is really really small realism update.

Lifting while upshifting hasn't been revolutionary since marioKart.

It is about a time there is something done with the flatshifting problem and I thank Scawen that he went and did something to it.

Still long way to go even to beat GPL. Food for thought. Maybe we need pizza delivery missions to keep the gamer types happy when we add front wings that can fall off when you crash in single seater and small mind bending mini games to keep you gamer types entertained while the pit crew changes the said front wing...
Quote from geeman1 :The speedos will probably get much clearer in the upcoming interior updates.

One would hope so. The analogue speedos are certainly near impossible to read accurately on your average monitor with a wide enough PoV for some spatial awareness.

It doesn't bother me too much as personally I can usually tell if the revs seem to be screaming when I have a tail wind down a straight, but the digital speedo was useful to glance at after you've exited an important corner to see how well you did.

It's not a huge deal for me but I can see why some people are frustrated that it's gone. It doesn't add or detract anything to the realism imho, in fact the reason I presumed the digital option was ever provided was as a useful concession to the fact that the world of LFS is being represented on a monitor screen, not real life. Clearly, I was wrong on this presumption.
Quote from Hyperactive :Bollocks. What we have got in this patch is just a start. Lots of stuff needs to come and go before LFS is "truelly a simulator".

I mean, people are building "forum clubs" for a single clutch heat update. Not trying to spit on the latest update but the clutch heat is really really small realism update.

Lifting while upshifting hasn't been revolutionary since marioKart.

It is about a time there is something done with the flatshifting problem and I thank Scawen that he went and did something to it.

Still long way to go even to beat GPL. Food for thought. Maybe we need pizza delivery missions to keep the gamer types happy when we add front wings that can fall off when you crash in single seater and small mind bending mini games to keep you gamer types entertained while the pit crew changes the said front wing...

I can relate to what you wrote. While the Club thread is a half joke (if you saw the small print in white in the first post) and a jab for the silly arcade crowd, I do hope there is reason for such threads in the future too. But I think here is too much praising and how awesome is teh patch around here. It's normal I know, but Scavierge should be kept on their toes to deliver more hardcore.

Y will be great, and I have never enjoyed failing at something like I did mis-shifting my gears and loosing the draft last night. But it has to be the beginning, I sure hope so too. Racing should be more dynamic, and not a laboratory of perfection lap after lap, clutch brings something, but there should be more in the future. Not that I can enjoy much of the improvement in the next 6 or so months though, but that doesn't matter does it. We need someone to give some seat time to Scawen in a proper racing car, maybe crash it slightly too. That should get him inspired. :P
My point is you boys, that you DON'T NEED SPEEDO'S FOR RACING. Sure, in the pitlane but around corners? no. This is sad, the whole point of an analogue speedo is 'ballpark' you don't need the exact number, you make it sound like you people are analy retentive on getting EXACTLY a certain ammount of kp/h around a corner. This is stupid. Real race drivers don't use speedo, why should you?

If virtual Dials are "ugly" and "flotie thingies" then so is the lap country and the Graphic showing you position in the race. and the tyre overview, and the suspension overview, and the positions listing, and the qualifying positions listings. You use all these, so what bloody difference does it MAKE!? seriously!?
Quote from BlueFlame :the whole point of an analogue speedo is 'ballpark' you don't need the exact number,

no the whole point of an analogue speedo is to tell you how fast you are going. why not just get rid of it all together?
#86 - arco
Quote from BlueFlame :My point is you boys, that you DON'T NEED SPEEDO'S FOR RACING.

For ordinary racing it's maybe not so important, but it's sure as hell nice to have accurate speed reading when hotlapping.
Quote from fraghetti :Because it ain't more realistic than a digital speedometer and as second reason; it looks damn ugly.
And for those, who say just keep the RPM in your mind: do you all drive the same car?!

When I drive I only normally look at the speedo for speed cameras, at which point one naturally solely focuses on it, which is why 'safety' cameras cause accidents IMO, and to re-orient to town speeds after some fast driving. Driving around town I can tell my speed within 5mph and can choose a sensible speed without looking at my speedo, on roads where one doesn't want to break the speed limit (due to the number of mobile piggy banks) I only have to look at the speedo once and then hold my speed just by listening to my engine and looking at my surroundings. Just like with racing and flying far too many road drivers become obsessed with the instrumentation in front of them and don't use their basic in built sensory organs, which are also handily available in any vehicle you happen to drive.

Quote from andybarsblade :no the whole point of an analogue speedo is to tell you how fast you are going. why not just get rid of it all together?

Blueflame's actually got a point (for once ) road car speedos are not accurate and legally can over read by up to 10%. At least the speedos in LFS still read accurately.
To get the speedo to a realistic size (in the FBM at least), then my FOV will have to be about 20 degs, as the FBM steering wheel is about as wide as my screen. It's about the same for the XFG too. If the speedo was as easy to read (in analogue mode) as it is IRL, then I'd have no problems using it. However, until it is, I'll be using digital.
I have no probs in FBM as I use a custom view.
Quote from ajp71 :Blueflame's actually got a point (for once ) road car speedos are not accurate and legally can over read by up to 10%. At least the speedos in LFS still read accurately.

If it's doing it consistently, which normally is the case for RL cars, then it's just a matter of scaling and units. I don't care if it shows 160kph whenever the real speed is 150kph, as long as it's not sometimes 160, sometimes 140. You can think about it like it gives the correct speed of 160 of some units per hour.

And I would like the digital speedo back too. Or an analogue which can be read clearly. RL racers have a much better sense of speed, and they can usually see the speedo accurately. I think it's a valid compromise. This way people with big monitors have an advantage.
#90 - JTbo
Another day without speedo, got one penalty as speeded at pits, jumped to accelerator bit too soon, same time got bit surprised how close at limit I was doing without speedo, used LX6 there.

Only grief is lack of fuel indicator, but I guess I'm bit too used to look that, it is rather simple to calculate laps I can do, still I fail

I recommend everyone to try, turn all instruments off, no speed no tacho, there is hardly any difference at all, imo.

Now situations where I know I miss my speedo needle are new setup and new track, feeling of speed lacks quite a bit when playing with TFT and angle of needle could help there to tell if I'm close to what I think I'm doing, but that is only for first lap or two until no need any more.

Had few spins and burner rubber quite a lot, when spinning make sure you shift down if you keep throttle floored as auto clutch engages surprisingly early when you are going backwards and spinning tires at 3rd gear, that is reason why your clutch smokes.
I didn't see the speedo well either and got some penalties in the pit lane so I assigned a button to switch to a lower FOV and another button to switch it back. Probably as time goes on I will use it less and less.
Quote from JTbo :Well look out from window, do you see whole yard ? Monitor is your window.

If I make my window smaller, everything in a distance doesn't come closer, like what happends with the FOV in LFS.
#93 - JTbo
Quote from Darkone55 :If I make my window smaller, everything in a distance doesn't come closer, like what happends with the FOV in LFS.

But it would happen if you would try to squeeze / stretch as much of image to that window area as what was area of original window, which is what happens in LFS when changing FOV.
#94 - JTbo
Quote from _--NZ--_[HUN] :I didn't see the speedo well either and got some penalties in the pit lane so I assigned a button to switch to a lower FOV and another button to switch it back. Probably as time goes on I will use it less and less.

I think this is brilliant idea, you are actually emulating a bit of what we do IRL when looking speedo near 'safety' cameras, we focus on certain area

Those that don't know how to do this, with Logitech profiler software select button and record command, t /FOV 65 and hit enter key lastly, then stop recording, that will set FOV to 65 in LFS. You need to have profile created for LFS too.
You can use quick message keys too if you don't use Logitech profiler, for example F4 key you just type /FOV 65 instead of good race.
Quote from JTbo :I think this is brilliant idea, you are actually emulating a bit of what we do IRL when looking speedo near 'safety' cameras, we focus on certain area

Those that don't know how to do this, with Logitech profiler software select button and record command, t /FOV 65 and hit enter key lastly, then stop recording, that will set FOV to 65 in LFS. You need to have profile created for LFS too.
You can use quick message keys too if you don't use Logitech profiler, for example F4 key you just type /FOV 65 instead of good race.

You don't need Logitech Profiler to assign a command to a button in LFS. Look at the picture.
Attached images
lfs_00000144.jpg
#96 - JTbo
Quote from _--NZ--_[HUN] :You don't need Logitech Profiler to assign a command to a button in LFS. Look at the picture.

Indeed one can do it that way too, haven't used that I think
Very good
Quote from JTbo :I think this is brilliant idea, you are actually emulating a bit of what we do IRL when looking speedo near 'safety' cameras, we focus on certain area

Thanks for the quick tutorial, I'd like to give that a go. I've a couple of buttons at the bottom of my DFP that barely get used which would be ideal for a quick zoom in/out whilst on a straight. Won't really be able to use it round South City though.

Now, is there any way to use the Logitech profiler or LFS scripts (or combination of both) to overcome the current view control limitations (so I can look fully to each side with the D-pad)? What I need to do is assign a single direction on the D-pad to represent the two button presses for a full look, which then releases when I release the D-pad. All I've been able to achieve so far is combining the look functions, but then they don't release when I let go the D-pad - the view just stays stuck out to the side.
#98 - JTbo
I think you can do that with logitech profiler similar way, record keypress and keep those two keys down that you would like to assign to function, then press stop recording, then you need to assign that keyboard command to look thing, I believe, haven't tested personally.

It is quite a lot which you can do with single keypress.
it will not work properly. you can make it so that you can look to side 90 degrees for a fixed amount of time, but not for as long as you like. hard to explain, but the profiler does not support "button down" and "button up" -events
Quote from Not Sure :it will not work properly. you can make it so that you can look to side 90 degrees for a fixed amount of time, but not for as long as you like. hard to explain, but the profiler does not support "button down" and "button up" -events

How about using pov between up and right position (viistot/väli-ilmansuunnat) for example, that would use 2 buttons, right?

This whining
(152 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG