The online racing simulator
#51 - axus
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Just get a high MP digicam, and take a photo of the road

Tried with a 3.2MP that I have at home... didn't work too well. Could be a different story with an 8MP Nikon SLR but it will be cheaper to buy nK I think..
I might be getting a Nikon D70 SLR for Christmas, if I do, I'd be happy to take pics for you guys.
#53 - axus
Quote from 96 GTS :I might be getting a Nikon D70 SLR for Christmas, if I do, I'd be happy to take pics for you guys.

Well, that's what I want to head Who can put what in so we can get this project on the road...
I have a 7.2 MP camera, what pictures do u want?
Quote from axus :Well, that's what I want to head Who can put what in so we can get this project on the road...

Maybe someone to find out what textures shared between more than just one car in LFS, like changing the XRT may change the XRR too... And some tracks share some textures too?

Also a lot of things to do:
- banners, walls - ads in general
- car interiors
- track graphics, road textures etc.
- etc.

It would also be easier if updated the tracks or car one by one, like finishing Fern bay before starting on Kyoto, for example. So maybe we could concentrate one one track and one car for starters.

Also the textures can really change the look of a track, so what kind of result do we want for a pecific track? Guess Kyoto is most modern looking, while Fern bay is like old nurburgring...

Too bad I can't really start before next tuesday and my texture making talents are little questionable

EDIT: I have a 1.3 megapixel camera in my mobile...
#56 - axus
I presume that a high-end camera like that would be able to save in .raw? That would be preferable. I think we should start with grass textures on one track and see how it goes. I just did a distance measurement using the autox editor and for Blackwood, the grass textures represent anything from ~4.25x4.25m - ~6mx6m. It is gonna be quite difficult getting that big a piece of grass on the camera though... any ideas?
move this thread to unofficial addons please.
Quote from axus :I presume that a high-end camera like that would be able to save in .raw? That would be preferable. I think we should start with grass textures on one track and see how it goes. I just did a distance measurement using the autox editor and for Blackwood, the grass textures represent anything from ~4.25x4.25m - ~6mx6m. It is gonna be quite difficult getting that big a piece of grass on the camera though... any ideas?

Stand on a ladder, and use a wide angle or fisheye lens
Quote from axus :I presume that a high-end camera like that would be able to save in .raw? That would be preferable. I think we should start with grass textures on one track and see how it goes. I just did a distance measurement using the autox editor and for Blackwood, the grass textures represent anything from ~4.25x4.25m - ~6mx6m. It is gonna be quite difficult getting that big a piece of grass on the camera though... any ideas?

[jk]something like this over your backyard[/jk]

i can try taking some from ontop of my wall at my backyard (it's raining atm so i will have to wait for better weather
Quote from 96 GTS :Stand on a ladder, and use a wide angle or fisheye lens

I assume then that the angle does not have to be 90 degrees (vertical), because how else would the ladder not be in shot if you're taking a picture of such a wide area?
Quote from sinbad :I assume then that the angle does not have to be 90 degrees (vertical), because how else would the ladder not be in shot if you're taking a picture of such a wide area?

It would be best at 90 degrees (perpendicular) to the ground
#63 - axus
Well, taking multiple photo samples of simmilar grass (equally green etc) could be joined together without much trouble I guess...
this any good, or you need better quality?
#65 - axus
The quality is good, but a better piece of grass would be nice and multiple samples would come in handy. The quality is VERY good tho. Thanks!
i got it from google
its worth a try for some of the textures
Heh, in Finland there is snow on the ground so grass textures may be little hard to get

EDIT: some good ring pics: link
Quote from Kegetys :It sounds very odd that you would get a performance increase from having the mipmaps "pregenerated" in the DDS files. There are mipmaps in use already in LFS (You can clearly see this, especially with AF off), the mipmaps are just generated when the texture is loaded instead of keeping them in the DDS files.

After reading all this Mipmap stuff, i decided to do some test. When coming down the back straight on Blackwood, the office buildings in the distance always exhibited bad banding. I thought this would be alleviated by upping the anti-aliasing and ansiotropic filtering, but it didn't. So last night, i created mipmaps for the building texture and the banding almost disappeared completely. From that I would say that LFS either doesn't generate mipmaps, or the generated ones are just not the same as pre-generated ones.

Edit: I just read the replies from Scawen, so I don't know whether my observations were some psychological effect or what, but I swear the banding that had bugged me since the Demo was no longer there after I generated the mipmaps.. hrm
Moved to Misc. Add-Ons.

Ok people, i imagine some of you have a good idea of what texture
goes where so here goes:

I've had a project in my head for some time (i've had MANY...hehe).
I'd like to make a program to handle texture packs. For this to work,
i need a list of what texture does what (ex: name,size,useage) so
i could program a quick (well, quicker for the user) way to switch
textures. I'd use folder names for texture pack names and the program
would open the contents of the folder and overwrite the game DDS.
Obviously, i'd need a default texture pack also to return the textures
back to the original. At the time i started on this app, textures weren't
in DDS, so i'd include some sort of converter along (not sure this is legal
unless i program the converter, but that's a detail for now).

So again, folder names would reflect the texture pack name (the name
you'd see/select in the app), so we'd keep the LFS nomenclature. All
you'd need to do is create a folder with the texture pack name of your
choice and put all your textures in there. The app would then 'see' your
folder and show the name. Selecting this name would replace the textures
in LFS with the ones in that folder. It would only replace the textures present
in the folder of course. Oh, and knowing where they are used
could help list the textures by track or object instead

It MIGHT be a good idea to also add the texture pack name to the texture
name as a prefix not to get confused, it could make it easier to work with
the textures, and prevent accident/mixups.

Anyways, this is still a project, so details are still unsolved but what do
you guys think ?
#70 - Don
Quote from 96 GTS :Stand on a ladder, and use a wide angle or fisheye lens

i guess you dont want perspective distortion on textures ...
Quote from Don :i guess you dont want perspective distortion on textures ...

Hehe, no, you wouldn't. I said that half jokingly, but sarcasm doesn't really carry too well over the internet. Other than hanging from a basket strung between two poles, I don't know how you could do that, at least not without seeing a ladder or a shadow.
Quote from Fonnybone :Moved to Misc. Add-Ons.

Ok people, i imagine some of you have a good idea of what texture
goes where so here goes:

<big snip>

Anyways, this is still a project, so details are still unsolved but what do
you guys think ?

I think that's a great idea. Putting different textures into packs and making them easy to install could be a huge benefit. I can foresee people with different banner packs for the different race series (formula versus GT, for instance) or texture packs to make the seasons different. Even just having one high quality pack (256MB video card required), one mid-quality (128MB card) and the standard that we have now would be a big improvement.

Go for it!

edit: If you do decide to do this, I think you should support the background textures as well.
Also, have the texture pack program run with some 'author' file. In other words, if I download texturepack_01.zip for instance, and loaded it into the program (dunno if you extract or what not, but this is just an example), A file would be readable by the program which includes Author's Name, Description, Image if desired, Install resolution sizes, etc.

And when installing, the program would keep track of what is installed with this 'author' file or something. And make backups of the original S2 textures in its own folder.

Having a program that could do such a thing would be a very useful and handy program indeed.

Errr well, I hope it is very well thought out, it seems like it can get somewhere though! :up:
Quote from Tweaker :Also, have the texture pack program run with some 'author' file. In other words, if I download texturepack_01.zip for instance, and loaded it into the program (dunno if you extract or what not, but this is just an example), A file would be readable by the program which includes Author's Name, Description, Image if desired, Install resolution sizes, etc.

And when installing, the program would keep track of what is installed with this 'author' file or something. And make backups of the original S2 textures in its own folder.

Having a program that could do such a thing would be a very useful and handy program indeed.

Errr well, I hope it is very well thought out, it seems like it can get somewhere though! :up:

Well, i'd like to keep it simple since my programming skills are still limited.
I was thinking of using the folder names, period. Make a new folder with
the name you want, put all textures in it (extract zip in it) and the program
will read all folders it finds. Having an additional file for credits and comments
is a relatively easy thing to add. What has always kept this project on the
side is the amount of files involved and the lack of a list of texture name.
Then there's the problem of classifying them by track or 'type' (like object, tarmac, etc...)

I had this idea when the first winter packs started appearing...
If someone is good at these things (programming it), don't be shy,
i have a few projects i'm working on at the moment so i don't have
much time, but i can try a simple app to see the potential problems.
@Fonnybone:

The best thing that your prog could do is that it could also, "in a way", install the files directly from the folder. So a player doesn't need to back up his own textures at all...? (Of course the player has to be able to use the texturepacks without the program too)

I can imagine some problems too:
If using more than one texture pack, what happens when there is one texture in two or more texturepacks?
To prevent this, the texture packs needs to be small, which in the other hand adds the amount of texturepacks loaded by the program.
For example texture pack for RAC, a pack for wintertextures, a pack for dark skies and a pack for the commercial stuff.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG