The online racing simulator
GTT no longer in demo
(138 posts, started )
Quote from bealesracing :How about this to solve the "I want my drift car back" problem if it ever happens...

Why not add another option to the LFS Licenses?

S1, S2 and Drift?

People who buy a "Drift" license only get a couple of cars suitable for drifting, and a couple of tracks which meet their drifting needs?
As the content will be less, it makes it cheaper (to be honest, £24 for such an incredible sim IS cheap, but hey!), the cheaper price and pure drifting content will incourage drifters to buy!

Drifters are happy as they have their car back and more content...
Devs are happy as they are getting the money they deserve for all their fantastic work!

Meh - who am I kidding, go out and buy S2 and race!

Rob

yeah i dont think they should make a specific drift license... might as well just buy nfs pro street or something since you get more cars and tracks... plus its more fun being able to try out different types of cars and occasionally race instead of drift

also a lot of demo drifters i know are moving to s2 because of the patch... and im glad almost all of my teammates have s2 and since i was planning on becoming a full s2 team this was a great opportunity to do so =]
Quote from The Very End :I disagree that GTT was removed for demo users.
Sure, they have not paid anything for the game, but when the full game got muuuuch more to offer, it doesn`t hurt that those 3 cars are aviable for the demo racers.

But... but... they have the Formula BMW now. :geezer:

The demo is now a much better representation of what LFS is about. They finally got a formula car with slicks and downforce, in exchange for a car that was only used for drifting anyway (because for most newcomers the XRT is far too hard to race). At the same time the reversed BL config was made inaccessible, because THAT was NOT giving a more varied representation of LFS, but just more free content.
Quote from AndroidXP :for most newcomers the XRT is far too hard to race

That's a good point actually. I remember when I first arrived I couldn't get a decent lap out of the bloody thing. Tyre physics weren't as good back then but I think it was more down to me being utterly rubbish.
I'm all for it.
Even though im on keyboard (Getting G25 and S2 for chrissy)

more realistic the better!
Quote from ajp71 :I'm a bit confused as to how you can have a computer and internet connection but not be able to buy LFS, you use the same stuff as for buying most things. It may take a bit of saving but it'll be worth it LFS demo is a demonstration of the product. It is not a complete program in itself.

Again, Aunt Hilda gave her old computer because she bought a new one, and parents pay for the internet. I'm a bit confused as to how this is such a difficult concept to understand that just because you have something, doesn't mean you are the one who has paid for it. I had a hand-me-down computer and *FREE* internet for years. In fact, I paid for my first computer in 1995, then went through 8 other machines before purchasing my current one in 2005.
Quote from AndroidXP :But... but... they have the Formula BMW now. :geezer:

The demo is now a much better representation of what LFS is about. They finally got a formula car with slicks and downforce, in exchange for a car that was only used for drifting anyway (because for most newcomers the XRT is far too hard to race). At the same time the reversed BL config was made inaccessible, because THAT was NOT giving a more varied representation of LFS, but just more free content.

I didn`t know that demo users now can use the new formula car, sorry Then it`s pretty fair.
#107 - col
Quote from mrodgers :Again, Aunt Hilda gave her old computer because she bought a new one, and parents pay for the internet. I'm a bit confused as to how this is such a difficult concept to understand that just because you have something, doesn't mean you are the one who has paid for it. I had a hand-me-down computer and *FREE* internet for years. In fact, I paid for my first computer in 1995, then went through 8 other machines before purchasing my current one in 2005.

I've heard that argument from you lots of times.
Maybe in the US, folks are giving away 'old' PCs that are powerful enough to run LFS, but I've still to see it happen here in the UK, and I imagine in many other countries it's the same. Basically, most folks 'Aunt Hilda' will only ditch their old PC when it either breaks, it can't run the new version of Word for Dimbos, or their ISP says its too old to run their broadband install disk... any PC in that situation is unlikely to be much use for LFS... like I said, maybe in the US things are different ?

With that in mind it is unlikely that many of the "I can't afford a license" demo racers are really truthfully running LFS on hand-me-down PCs!

EDIT: If on the other hand they really do have an aunt Hilda who is wealthy or stupid enough to buy a new PC every couple of years just 'because', then she's certainly wealthy or stupid enough to be tapped for the price of an S2 licence.

See now? there's no excuse which ever way you look at it

Col
Demo users form communities and drift teams and the like without paying for the product - name another game that supports that kind of involvement for free? The Demo is a *complete product* for many users, that in itself is a BIG mistake. All other games release a demo in a way that will never satisfy the user enough to warrant not upgrading (or abandoning it completely).

There needed to be a real limitation set into the demo, and removing one of the main drift cars is exactly what was needed. Now drifters will get something they want from BUYING the game. Fancy that.
Quote from JTbo :One thing I did came by, now demo has no any car that would show how well turbo system is modelled in physics wise, that could be actually bit negative thing, but overall I think change is good still.

That's a good thing, considering how badly (or at least, underdeveloped, to be more polite) the turbos are modelled in LFS.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :That's a good thing, considering how badly (or at least, underdeveloped, to be more polite) the turbos are modelled in LFS.

Regards,

Ian

They indeed are far better in rFactor, or was that need for speed, no wait it must been Project Torque
Quote from Burnzoire :The Demo is a *complete product* for many users, that in itself is a BIG mistake.

I disagree, and have elaborated why elsewhere. But I reckon the addition of a single seater to the demo is a good idea... Not for the spiteful and adolescent reason that its one in the eye for the drifters [rolls eyes upwards], but for the reason that it makes the demo more balanced... A fwd car, a rwd, and an aero assisted car. Makes loads of sense to me...
Could a mod please rename the thread title to "XRT no longer in demo" ?
The LFS demo was and is very generous! 3 cars, one track, no time limits, even online is unlimited!

And now, people can drive entry level FWD, RWD and single seaters, exactly the cars that are in LFS, but then if you want the higher end and MO POWA! you buy S2. The formula BMW would probably convince me to buy S2 a lot better than the tintops. But that is personal.

That the demo now represents S2 a lot better is pretty much a fact and therefore a good thing. If you miss the turbo soo much, it means you play it a lot, which means you should save up for S2..
The online drifter can keep their X10 patch ^.^
Quote from scania :The online drifter can keep their X10 patch ^.^

Will they be able to refuse the autoupdate to Y when they go online though ?

Somehow I think not.
Judging from the past updates, the auto-update is always optional and not forcing you to update. However, that doesn't mean the devs will allow X hosts on the master server forever.
Quote from AndroidXP :Judging from the past updates, the auto-update is always optional and not forcing you to update. However, that doesn't mean the devs will allow X hosts on the master server forever.

And how many servers there will be with old patch? I would say that will kill X10 usage quite quickly after Y is released.
For normal servers definitely, but I'm pretty sure plenty of demo drift servers will stay with X10, for obvious reasons.
Quote from JTbo :They indeed are far better in rFactor, or was that need for speed, no wait it must been Project Torque

heh, no idea about the last 2, but rF doesn't model it at all does it? I tried (and failed) to emulate a switchable boost upgrade for my XRT conversion by doctoring the torque curves.. but this pretty much just resulted in uncontrollable wheelspin.

I'm sure LFS will model them better as time goes, but as it is currently, I wouldn't say it's anywhere close to being a selling point so to speak

Either way, the new car selection for demo is as others have said, a better representation of the full content and being an open-wheeler (while not my cup of tea), may draw some extra people in who've skipped the demo as open-wheelers are their cup of cha

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :heh, no idea about the last 2, but rF doesn't model it at all does it? I tried (and failed) to emulate a switchable boost upgrade for my XRT conversion by doctoring the torque curves.. but this pretty much just resulted in uncontrollable wheelspin.

I'm sure LFS will model them better as time goes, but as it is currently, I wouldn't say it's anywhere close to being a selling point so to speak

Either way, the new car selection for demo is as others have said, a better representation of the full content and being an open-wheeler (while not my cup of tea), may draw some extra people in who've skipped the demo as open-wheelers are their cup of cha

Regards,

Ian

My blunt point being, in LFS it is still far better than others (specially better than closest competitors), even it might be tad simplified

So I would say it is bit of selling point as one of main competitors does not even have any kind of such modelling
Adding the FBMW to the demo is probably a very good idea. I am mostly interested in single-seaters so the demo didn't do much for me. On top of this, word had it that single-seaters weren't a strong point of LFS, so I just skipped it.

I just happened to buy it on a whim six months or so ago, just taking a chance the single-seaters would be tolerable. As it turns out they're fine and I don't regret buying it.

I think it will help. Open-wheel is pretty popular amongst sim-racers in general. I think you will find a lot of people having a second look at the demo once Y is released.

Love,
Aero
If a demo user has been using LFS for more then X number of days or X number of hours without buying a license, Id cut them off. As someone has said before, it cost money to keep them going on servers without any money going back in from their use. I dont know the stats but Im sure theres ways to find out what their conversion rate from demo to license is and how long it takes for a demo user to buy.

As for drifters...pffft, see ya! People bitch about the idea of bikes being implimented into LFS - atleast bikes are racing! Drifting, although it does take skill, is more to do with car ballet then actual racing and speed.
Quote from Motordirex :If a demo user has been using LFS for more then X number of days or X number of hours without buying a license, Id cut them off. As someone has said before, it cost money to keep them going on servers

This matter has been discussed so many times now. Why don´t you leave it to the developers judge and to the fact that the developers of this game are probably pretty much aware of what they are doing and what´s going on towards their demo version of this game.
I myself was a demo player for almost 1 year as I realized I just had to move on towards S2 and for your info: At this time I was able to take some more players with me into the S2 world.

Other 1-hours-demo-versions I already have forgotten about...
Quote from Priidik :What happens now with my demo drifting team. Everyone dosen't have s2 licence, so , now i have to quit lfs ?
This is my favourite game, one reason ise reality, another drifting. We drift with formel now ?
/me is very mad and sad.

Is this your favourite game or your favourite demo of a game? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, as they say.
Quote from R.Kolz :This matter has been discussed so many times now. Why don´t you leave it to the developers judge and to the fact that the developers of this game are probably pretty much aware of what they are doing and what´s going on towards their demo version of this game.
I myself was a demo player for almost 1 year as I realized I just had to move on towards S2 and for your info: At this time I was able to take some more players with me into the S2 world.

Other 1-hours-demo-versions I already have forgotten about...

I am leaving it up to the devs to decide but thats what I would do, bloody freeloaders.

And not that I care how long you "demoed" before buying, but Im sure the $50 for S2 was nothing compared to the cost in bandwidth you may have used up in that year...but thanks for buying eventually.

If ya like, you can lead a the DULP or Demo User Liberation Party if you feel demo users arent being treated fairly using a program, for up to a year in your case, absolutely free. :chairs:

GTT no longer in demo
(138 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG