The online racing simulator
i googled a bit and found a post on BHM that mentioned something like 75.000€ for a license, this of course isnt a reliable source
Surely the costs would be far greater than the license alone anyway. I doubt that Eric, or whoever, would want to do a half-assed inaccurate version of the ring if they'd gone to the trouble of securing a license for it. So that's going to take time, and if it were a one man (Eric) job, it would take a lot of time. Time, as they say, is money.

I guess it comes down to how many extra licenses they'd sell. Probably a lot, but only if it was as good as, or better than, any other version out there. The more you invest in making it perfect, the more license sales need to result directly from that investment for it to be worth it.
Well, creating the track layout wouldn't really be that hard as the track has been made couple of times already well. But to get it smooth and look like the real thing may be quite a task. 22 kilometres of texturing and 3d-modelling, phew!
Quote from Hyperactive :Well, creating the track layout wouldn't really be that hard as the track has been made couple of times already well. But to get it smooth and look like the real thing may be quite a task. 22 kilometres of texturing and 3d-modelling, phew!

Only to find out it doesn't fit onto todays graphics adapter's RAM...
It's going to be a huge model, but the texturing doesn't necessarily have to be a particularly huge task... There's like 16 different trees, 8 types of armco, 6 grasstype patches, 6 dirttype patches, 5 types of asphalt, 156000 different types of writing on that asphalt, and 6 colors of kerbing. Add some billboards, and some housing, and the ring is bigger than what we currently have, but not monstrously huge.
Quote from Michel 4AGE :http://20832.com/?rubrik=impressum&lang=eng

I searched a bit there , and there is one guy posting , that he has made a 3D Ring. Maybe its just another conversion of a conversion ....

Quote from TagForce :156000 different types of writing on that asphalt

Quote from M.Mos :I searched a bit there , and there is one guy posting , that he has made a 3D Ring. Maybe its just another conversion of a conversion ....

http://luuk.xs4all.nl/

Scroll down
I hate myself for it but I agree with the opinion that the nurburgring ring although interesting for single player mode and open servers running practice, it would not be very good for racing, but it has some fantastic sequences of corners which parts of a longer track could be similar to, we really need a very long undulating twisty track but something where overtaking would be possible. If we get an editor to make tracks with why not something on a larger scale similar to a route based on a loop made up of Scottish A roads for for example those on the isle of skye or or somewhere else perhaps based around a loop with part based on a stretch of the A82 or A85, miles of blind corners, summits camber changes and flat out straights, 30 to 60 miles would also be amazing.

I'm not saying it should be an exact replica but a close representation would be amazing with pit stops perhaps spaced around the route, as the Mille Miglia had. Live for speed is a sim it doesn't have to ignore a long road track because they would never happen in reality, its developers have the opportunity to do something spectacular especially when we get weather such a track would be a real challenge of driver skill.
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=83933

The price for a minimal license was €25 000 (I can't remember what the price for the license where all data was provided was). Anyway, it's been three years since we asked now, and since then, numerous games have been released featuring the Nordschleife, so I bet the price has gone up.

One can only pray that Scawen & Co will gain enough money from S3 to get a license, becase I wouldn't mind paying for an SN version.
Or perhaps the most realistic option is to wait until S3 is finished and the devs release the editors for track making (if they decide to). Yes, it'll be years, but it would then be a free addon made by community. And creating the 'Ring for LFS would slow down the main process, which is S3. And the track is actually not that great. Of course the track presents the greatest challenge of a track can do but the length, bumpiness and toughness of the track will never make it as popular as people seem to think. Even though LFS'ers seem more realism hungry than average sim racers...

Imho the track isn't worth the price. If we want real tracks for LFS we need to get something smaller. I live in Finland where we have these great tracks like Ahvenisto and Motopark which could be much cheaper and easier to do. Also these smaller (not just the tracks I suggested) tracks could gain more from having the track in some racing sim. It would make the track more known and the benefits would be more balanced. In the case of 'Ring, the track and its organization would gain very little as the track is already well known among petrolheads. The problem with the smaller tracks is that they will hardly sell any more copies of LFS. And for most people these tracks are just some real tracks in LFS.

I am not saying that 'Ring should be forgotten or that its impossible to do. I think it would just eat too much resources for what could come as a result.

Smaller tracks and maybe more real life cars, like Raceabout and MRT, there is the direction where LFS can go.
A track editor would be fantastic if supplied with or shortly after S3 because there are a large number of high quality tracks around the world which the lfs developers are never going to know about let alone base tracks on. I also agree with Hyeractive that it would be a major boost to the community.

Another reason I would favour such an addon is that it would allow the construction of long road tracks based along the lines of my earlier suggestion to this thread. I would certainly enjoy driving on a track based on a road loop of about 40 to 60 miles,
#61 - Vain
I'm absolutely not interested in any other real life track other than the ring. If the devs ever decide to make a real-life track and they do anything different than the ring I'll visit Scawen, Victor and Eric personally and slap them in the face for wasting resources.
Actually we could remove all tracks beside the ring, because no one would notice.
Live For Nordschleife!

Vain

(Yes, I intentionally exaggerated my point.)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG