The online racing simulator
CPU Fan error!
(16 posts, started )
CPU Fan error!
For some reason, since yesterday i've been getting a CPU Fan Error when i start up...from the BIOS i would think, before it boots into Windows. Then it says press F1 to continue. The CPU Fan IS plugged into the right bit...where it says CPU Fan on the motherboard...although yesterday i was just tidying up my PC...and when i plugged the cable into the CPU FAN bit...only 3 of the cable went into the 4 pins on the motherboard (i think its 4)...then a bit of smoke started coming from the little bits of metal near the CPU FAN pins...so i quickly took it off...and carefully put it in again. But everythings fine now...did a quick check on everything...so any ideas about this CPU FAN error, also on speedfan....it shows the Fan spinning at 0 RPM...when its normally around 3000...

So i think i've broken the pins on the motherboard or something, even though everythings spinning. Can't i just plug it into one of the other Fan connectors on the motherboard?

Thanks
Harjun
#2 - garph
For some reason.....you ****ed around with it, broke something you mean!

Obviously you can use another plug on the MB if it has one, but as it's not the CPU fan it will mean certain things might not work or bail you out as they used to.

...but anyway, you know more about computers than me and more about overclocking than most so what do I know, you work it out.
Quote from garph :For some reason.....you ****ed around with it, broke something you mean!

Obviously you can use another plug on the MB if it has one, but as it's not the CPU fan it will mean certain things might not work or bail you out as they used to.

...but anyway, you know more about computers than me and more about overclocking than most so what do I know, you work it out.

ok, ill try work it out
#4 - ajp71
Why were you fiddling again and if it produced smoke it suggests that you were cleaning the CPU fan whilst the computer was running which is special to say the least. Unfortunatley you don't seem to have learnt from your laptop that if it ain't broke don't fix it :doh:
Quote from ajp71 :Why were you fiddling again and if it produced smoke it suggests that you were cleaning the CPU fan whilst the computer was running which is special to say the least. Unfortunatley you don't seem to have learnt from your laptop that if it ain't broke don't fix it :doh:

yes i am buying a new case because there a cables everywhere, and the case is £15, really bad build quality, stupidly loud....it cuts me every time i put my hand in it...and there are cables everywhere....its annoying that i have to press F1 everytime i start up the computer...but oh well.
#6 - dadge
i can't wait for lfs forums to take nominations for numpty of the year..................
#7 - garph
Quote from harjun :yes i am buying a new case because there a cables everywhere, and the case is £15, really bad build quality, stupidly loud....it cuts me every time i put my hand in it...and there are cables everywhere....its annoying that i have to press F1 everytime i start up the computer...but oh well.

Buy some zip ties for the cables, you can also get really good cable management packs as well which would sort all that out. You could also try routing some cables behind/underneath the motherboard, that’s what I have done with some audio and USB cables.

If you've feeling braver and you have the space in between the side panel and motherboard mounting plate you could cut holes for more cable routing, mainly the power cables.

Could also try vibration damping products as well to try and cut some of the noise as well as quieter fans and finally a file would sort out the sharpe edges of the case.
Quote from garph :Buy some zip ties for the cables, you can also get really good cable management packs as well which would sort all that out. You could also try routing some cables behind/underneath the motherboard, that’s what I have done with some audio and USB cables.

If you've feeling braver and you have the space in between the side panel and motherboard mounting plate you could cut holes for more cable routing, mainly the power cables.

Could also try vibration damping products as well to try and cut some of the noise as well as quieter fans and finally a file would sort out the sharpe edges of the case.

i have another panel on the side of my case for cables, i've put a few, but i don't want to take the motherboard out again for cables underneath the motherbaord....maybe i will do that when i get my P182
#9 - Mc21
Did you put it on the CPU_FAN thing, and do just any old fan connector?
You don't HAVE to press F1 everytime you start your computer...in the BIOS of your Asus mobo, it should have a option to "Press F1 if error" - Enabled or Diabled. Check it to disabled....at least that's what I did on my P5W when I switched to water cooling....
Quote from MINIz guy :You don't HAVE to press F1 everytime you start your computer...in the BIOS of your Asus mobo, it should have a option to "Press F1 if error" - Enabled or Diabled. Check it to disabled....at least that's what I did on my P5W when I switched to water cooling....

thanks man
Quote from harjun :yes i am buying a new case because there a cables everywhere, and the case is £15, really bad build quality, stupidly loud....it cuts me every time i put my hand in it...and there are cables everywhere....its annoying that i have to press F1 everytime i start up the computer...but oh well.

How does the cost of a case make any difference in your computer?! Does it make it go to 6 GHZ!!!?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :How does the cost of a case make any difference in your computer?! Does it make it go to 6 GHZ!!!?

He is saying he bought a bad quality case, probably too small to fit everything in, and bad airflow.
Plug the CPU fan plug into the right 3 pins. Yellow wire sends fan speed. Isnt plugged in correctly, mobo reads no signal = 0 rpm, reports error. Decipher that lot if you can.

edit: 4th pin fan speed control. I take it your fan doesn't support it.
#15 - Jakg
Actually, i'm not too much of a n00b and i got my P5K to smoke (and melted a few pins - doh!). It sounds like you broke it, tbh.

Of course it's easy to disable it in the BIOS, i had to disable it as i had no CPU fan. Seeing as both of my P5K's are dead i can't check, though...
I put a different fan into my Dell, and it's not even connected to the motherboard. It just runs at a constant speed(there are three speed settings that you can choose with a little switch connected to the fan. I can't figure out how to disable the warning though. Guess that's because it's a dell. Once the new LFS patch comes out, I'm building a new computer.

CPU Fan error!
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG