The online racing simulator
What [wheels] do you use?
(31 posts, started )
#1 - AMB
I want to buy a steering wheel and was wondering what ones you use, where you bought it from and for how much?

Thanks in advance,
AMB
#2 - word.
To give you an short answer, if you got money for it, buy G25. Still, if you want to use less money and still get a good wheel, buy one of the Logitec Driving Force Pro wheels I use Driving Force Ex, and that is good too, even if it costs like nothing
Havn't had a lot of wheels myself. But after reading a lot I have came up with this for my personal preference when I get a new wheel.

1. Crazy wheel for way to much money.
2. G25 ($300 canadian)
3. Driving Force Pro ($150 - 170 Canadian)
4. Momo ($140 - 170 Canadian)
Quote from Matt0snap :Havn't had a lot of wheels myself. But after reading a lot I have came up with this for my personal preference when I get a new wheel.

1. Crazy wheel for way to much money.
2. G25 ($300 canadian)
3. Driving Force Pro ($150 - 170 Canadian)
4. Momo ($140 - 170 Canadian)

1. Frex?
the G25 wheel says it's the best for under £1000....but i've never seen a wheel which is more than the G25...and you can't get better can you?
Quote from harjun :thbut i've never seen a wheel which is more than the G25...and you can't get better can you?

Then you haven't looked very hard. The G25 is the most expensive and best mass produced wheel, true. There are many prefssional, hand built extremely high quality products out there which put many real cars to shame. Most are not FFB though.
Quote from Bob Smith :Then you haven't looked very hard. The G25 is the most expensive and best mass produced wheel, true. There are many prefssional, hand built extremely high quality products out there which put many real cars to shame. Most are not FFB though.

you can't just say i haven't looked hard...and i didn't understand a word you said...and how can a Good wheel not have FFB...Jakg said the best wheels have even force feedback pedals...
Quote from harjun :you can't just say i haven't looked hard...and i didn't understand a word you said...and how can a Good wheel not have FFB...Jakg said the best wheels have even force feedback pedals...

He did and you haven't. There are other wheels that cost more than the G25. They are not mass market like the DFP and G25 for example and are built in very small numbers by comparison.

You're just going on what others have told you, also from a very small number of people, i.e. 1 person, which is fine but there comes a time when you need to start forming your own opinions and ideas on things and not be so, dunno how to say it, if it doesn't have this feature it must be rubbish. There is always more to it than that.
#12 - Jakg
Quote from harjun :you can't just say i haven't looked hard...and i didn't understand a word you said...and how can a Good wheel not have FFB...Jakg said the best wheels have even force feedback pedals...

Frex make expensive wheels, as do ACT Labs, as a few other companies afaik. They don't have FFB, but some people don't like FFB anyway. Frex have made a new wheel with FFB, but iirc it's still a Prototype.

I NEVER said they have FFB pedals, from a rumour i heard Logitech were developing this, but from the lack of information since chances are they realised it wouldn't sell well. Usually the very expensive wheels sell JUST as wheels, as other companies like ECCI and VPP make very nice pedal setups.

Please don't misquote me, and for reference, the Wiki article was originally made by me (and then put on the Wiki by Duke_Toaster), and since then anyone can edit it.
But whats good about a wheel if it doesn't have force feedback?
#14 - Jakg
Build Quality, feel etc.
Quote from Jakg :Build Quality, feel etc.

but comeon...an other £1000 for a bit of leather or something on it? i am not fussed literally driving with a curved piece of wood which gives you splinters...as long as it has some really really fast FFB...

Also, the DFP force feedback seems quite slow on the videos...My DFP is coming on THursday, when the eCheque clears, and then i'll see for real, my £15 Logitech Vibration, against the £70 DFP...
Quote from harjun :but comeon...an other £1000 for a bit of leather or something on it? i am not fussed literally driving with a curved piece of wood which gives you splinters...as long as it has some really really fast FFB...

Also, the DFP force feedback seems quite slow on the videos...My DFP is coming on THursday, when the eCheque clears, and then i'll see for real, my £15 Logitech Vibration, against the £70 DFP...

The new Frex wheel coming out has FFB much faster than the G25, 1080 degrees of rotation and far superior build quality. When you get your DFP the first thing that you will notice is the noise, the Frex wheel is practically silent.
Quote from mcintyrej :The new Frex wheel coming out has FFB much faster than the G25, 1080 degrees of rotation and far superior build quality. When you get your DFP the first thing that you will notice is the noise, the Frex wheel is practically silent.

yes, also, is there anyway to stop the noise? I'm also going to be using my other pedals from my old wheel as a clutch
Quote from harjun :yes, also, is there anyway to stop the noise? I'm also going to be using my other pedals from my old wheel as a clutch

Don't use it?
Quote from harjun :but comeon...an other £1000 for a bit of leather or something on it? i am not fussed literally driving with a curved piece of wood which gives you splinters...as long as it has some really really fast FFB...

Quote from harjun :yes, also, is there anyway to stop the noise? I'm also going to be using my other pedals from my old wheel as a clutch

How about you actually wait until you get a DFP, use it for a while, and then express an opinion on what is good or not good and what you need. I don’t know why your main requirement is really, really fast FFB? Everyone else seems to get along just fine with it, including myself.

Try waiting until you've at least got a DFP before you become an expert in what makes a FFB wheel good.

p.s. If I see you posting within a week or 2 of having a DFP saying it's rubbish because you're slower with it I'm going to hurt you.
Quote from garph :
p.s. If I see you posting within a week or 2 of having a DFP saying it's rubbish because you're slower with it I'm going to hurt you.

Quote from harjun :But whats good about a wheel if it doesn't have force feedback?

Have you ever seen a G25 or DFP, they're good by cheap tacky game controller standards but they're only cheap tacky game controllers. I don't know about the G25 but I can't imagine it's substantially different to the DFP under the surface. The DFP feels horrible compared to any real car wheel, if I was choosing a car and found one that was perfect except for having a DFP quality wheel finish I wouldn't take it. Then you've got the issue of the wheel itself being made out of a cheap tacky bit of mass produced plastic that flexes somewhat limiting the accuracy and speed of both steering inputs and FF. Then take into account that the DFP still uses a plastic case which has some flex that one can't get rid of without remounting the components to your cockpit.

As well as just having a nicer wheel, a Frex kit allows that on a DFP with FF, the high quality wheels have more accurate pots and far better build quality.

It should be remembered that force feedback itself is still too slow and has certain limitations, such that some people choose not to run or to run very light FF on a FF wheel.

Most of the noise comes from the FF motors, the rest from the flexing cheap plastic wheel, which can be got rid of by replacing it with a high quality wheel (ie. Frex GP).
That flex kit looks nice but I've never heard my wheel make any noise (yet) other than what comes from the motors, certainly never treated it rough enough to actualy flex the wheel, don't think I'm strong enough anyway.

Everything feels totally solid.
Quote from garph :That flex kit looks nice but I've never heard my wheel make any noise (yet) other than what comes from the motors, certainly never treated it rough enough to actualy flex the wheel, don't think I'm strong enough anyway.

Everything feels totally solid.

Are you sure your DFP is rock solid if you move it up and down? My DFP was awful with vertical movement, must have had at least 2mm worth, which really is noticeable.

I bought Danowat's old Frex kit and Momo 11" wheel, at £60 it seemed worth it unfortunately new it's hard to justify buying a Frex kit when you could get a G25 for the same money. I can't comment properly on the G25, from what I've seen and heard it looks like it's now moved onto what's basically like a cheap and nasty sporty car wheel, much better than the DFP wheel but still not a touch on a proper suede racing wheel. Until I switched to the Frex I never realised how much of the noise was actually from all the wheel creaking, I had previously just put it down to the FF motors. I can also see why people find the actual build quality and feel of the wheel so much more important than the FF. I'd definitely rather have this wheel with the current FF or even no FF than 'upgrade' to a G25 with better FF but a horrible wheel.
- My G25 doesn't creak, doesn't make strange noises, doesn't have the slightest hint of unwanted movement, neither sideways nor up and down. My Momo black creaks, has the typical knocking sound and a considerable amount of unwanted/unnatural up and down movement because the plastic bearing has worn out.

- The G25 has 2 FFB motors, and it shows.

- G25's FFB, quality wise, is far better than that of Momo Racing Black. I cannot compare it to DFP since I haven't got it or tried it. The Momo and the DFP draw about the same quantity of power while the G25 definitely needs more, so you have stronger effects. Yes, it's substantially different from the DFP. Shall I mention the differences in the pedals too, or is it easy to accept that, although far from being perfect, the G25 is a far superior wheel than the DFP?
Quote from Albieg :
- G25's FFB, quality wise, is far better than that of Momo Racing Black. I cannot compare it to DFP since I haven't got it or tried it. The Momo and the DFP draw about the same quantity of power while the G25 definitely needs more, so you have stronger effects. Yes, it's substantially different from the DFP. Shall I mention the differences in the pedals too, or is it easy to accept that, although far from being perfect, the G25 is a far superior wheel than the DFP?

AFAIK the G25 is mounted in exactly the same way as the DFP into exactly the same casing, meaning if you can't feel any flex or movement you simply don't have very high standards, the Frex still has too much flex for my liking but I don't want to have it permanently mounted to a cockpit/desk so I'm considering making my own case for it, but that would take a lot of effort. As for the pedals, well they're a start but personally if I bought a G25 I wouldn't want to have them on the horrible plastic base which doesn't look any more appealing than the DFP's pedals TBH, which are nothing short of awful. In the end of the day though both are cheaply mass produced wheels and their prices reflect that.

(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG