The online racing simulator
Nvididia 8600GT
(18 posts, started )
Nvididia 8600GT
Thinking about getting this card in my new system,im just interested in how this card runs etc willit be fine?

The other specs are:
Amd 64x dual core 5600+
2gb ram
onboard sound etc
Oh and a 450w powersupply ( think)

Would the Radeon (x1900pro? 512mb) be much of a drop in performance since i wantto get a dfp aswell
cheers,
Jim.
i have an 8600 GTS which i believe is slightly faster than the GT and it runs at 50 fps for me with everything maxed out at a very high resolution (4440x1050) so i'm sure it would run fine for you on your system. if you want to play other new games too though, its not exactly the fastest card out there, it runs LFS just fine for me though.
was thinking the gts was just a overlocked gt? and cheersill be running on a cheap 19" moniter ^ so my reswont be that high
hmm ii spent nvidia wrong damn coldness outside
Already done a bit of research on this...the new 8600GT uses a slightly different architecture/chip that the current GTS range.
It is FASTER, and CHEAPER...do not hesitate, if you decide that you don't want a 8600GT, buy a 8800GT instead, and I will swap it for my 1st gen 8800GTS..I'll even pay the postage
#5 - Jakg
The x1950 Pro is faster than the 8600GT, and the 8600GTS is a different card (physically) o the 8600GT
hmm so i can get a faster card for cheaper? the onlyproblem is im not to keen on Ati/Radeon ive ALWAYS used nvidia will it be that differant?:|
#7 - Jakg
It's no DX10, that's the only draw-back.

If you want an nVidia card then go for the 7900GS.
Ah i see, im guessing that wont affect me much since all i tend to do is stick the disc/get downloading and im done cheers for that.
#9 - Jakg
Well it will, as DX10 is a feature of Vista and if you don't have a DX10 OS and Card then you wont be able to enjoy DX10 gaming

DX10 lets things perform better and look nicer, but very few games (atm) support it.
Ah i see, that makes sense, what i think i may do is go for the ati since 1) i realy dont plan on vista 2) ive always been a lil behind at least with gaming wont do me any harm and will save me some cash :P
Cheers,
Jim.
Quote from UncleBenny :i have an 8600 GTS which i believe is slightly faster than the GT and it runs at 50 fps for me with everything maxed out at a very high resolution (4440x1050) so i'm sure it would run fine for you on your system. if you want to play other new games too though, its not exactly the fastest card out there, it runs LFS just fine for me though.

How much AA do you have? I got a defective HD3850 and I thought to change it to 8600GT if it is that good with LFS. It would just need to run with 4xAA and at least 8xAF at 1680x1050.
I use the 8600GT at 1600x1200. 8xAA and 16xAF and supersampled TAA are no problem.
Quote from SladiVadi :I use the 8600GT at 1600x1200. 8xAA and 16xAF and supersampled TAA are no problem.

Thanks, now my choice is pretty easy. Just have to hope that my local PC shop will have as great service as before and let me change the card.
I have an 8600GT, but the anti-aliasing won't go higher then 2x! I can turn it off, but 4x, 8x, and 16x settings look exactly the same as the 2x setting.
#15 - Gmm
The best vga card perfomance/price is the HD3850, have a look it.
Regarding the 8600GT: if you wanna buy it, make sure you get the one with GDDR3 memory, not the one with DDR2 memory. The one with DDR2 memory will be slower.
Quote from Gmm :The best vga card perfomance/price is the HD3850, have a look it.

Performance is ok but the quality is not. No matter what the quality settings are on the Catalyst Control Center it uses the ugly default settings in LFS: no AA, no AF. With the older Radeon 9700 I could force the settings after the LFS was launched with a hotkey combination, but it does not work anymore.
#18 - Gmm
Quote from romus74 :Performance is ok but the quality is not. No matter what the quality settings are on the Catalyst Control Center it uses the ugly default settings in LFS: no AA, no AF. With the older Radeon 9700 I could force the settings after the LFS was launched with a hotkey combination, but it does not work anymore.

Yeah, you have reason, the AA sucks a little compared with nvidia cards. But the 8600GT perfomance in games sucks too, and too much.

Nvididia 8600GT
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG