The online racing simulator
steering Wheel recommendation
(24 posts, started )
Looking for opinions on the best wheel system,
One thats is Good for Sim racing like LFS and Nascar Sim Racing
I have an Act Labs Force RS and it's ok for acarde type driving but it's way to heavy feeling (notchy) for Sims, that one little notch can put you in a spin

Any suggestions
#2 - Lible
Are you looking for a "real" wheel not these "market wheels" (like MOMO and Driving Force Pro)? I think Ecci 6000 http://ecci6000.com/6000_wheel_01.htm would be your choice then... price 1200 $.

If that's a bit out of your price class then there are basicly two options:
1) Logitech MOMO Racing
2) Logitech Driving Force Pro

Check the Hardware section on this forum... there are lots of threads like this.
ECCI doesn't have force feedback, so in my opinion a poor choice if you're spending that much money...
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
In my experience you get what you pay for. True ECCI doesn’t have force feedback, but that is only one aspect among many. I have flown flight simulators for years and started with a force feedback stick. When the time came I made the move to a high-end HOTAS that didn’t have force feedback and I never looked back once. What I gained in functionality, precision and fidelity far made up for the fact that the stick didn’t wiggle in my hand. From what I have read the ECCI fluid dampened wheel does a good job of approximating rubber on asphalt. It’s about precision and control regardless of cost. I currently have their pedals and it changed the whole driving experience more than I can express. I got faster. I have FAR more control over the car and I am only talking about my feet at this point. Next royalty check I can easily see dropping the cash on a matching ECCI wheel. The only force feedback wheel in this league isn’t available yet (Speed 7) and will end up costing more than the ECCI wheel and pedal set combined. Spend $150 on a plastic wheel and that’s what you get. It all boils down to what is important to you and how much you are willing to spend to get it.
Quote from tristancliffe :ECCI doesn't have force feedback, so in my opinion a poor choice if you're spending that much money...

I've read a review and the guy who tested it said that in the end FF isn't that important because the driving feel with it is so good.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :I don't know if I could drive without FF, I've grown to rely on it for correcting slides and so on. That's probably bad, isn't it?

I'm the same way. No way I'd EVER get a non-FF wheel after using the DFP. Feedback through the wheel affects my driving style and car control more than any other thing.
well you would say the same thing if you owned one of those g-force simulators (chair that moves around) :P what we cant feel we learn to deal with after lots of practice.
Quote from Cue-Ball : Feedback through the wheel affects my driving style and car control more than any other thing.

Try driving with the monitor turned off and see if you don't rethink that.
For the money, the DFP wheel is great. It has some notchyness when you have the Force Feedback cranked way up, but normally it does not. I also rely on the FF to drive now and can't imagine living without it. It makes all the cars feel different too. Without FF, you would not get that, all the cars would feel about the same.
I do have the ECCI pedals, and they are awesome. I love the feel, and the brake is so much better than the DFP pedals.
You do get what you pay for, and I would get the ECCI wheel if it had some form of FF. However, if I get a chance to try the ECCI wheel with LFS, it might change my mind. They do make great products.
I expect to replace my DFP sometime this year. I expect it just plain wear out. I have about 40,000 miles of race driving on it now. The pedals failed months ago. I could fix them, but don't bother because of the ECCI pedals I have.
You can ask anyone I drive with regularly. I have no problem whatsoever anticipating and catching slides. You might even say that's my style. Sliding.

A few years ago I was able to test several large and small sims both with and without FF by way of running into large facilities with both broken and working force cockpits and wheels. Also tried FF with GP3 and GPL. I'm positive I get a better read from the car *without* FF. For me, it's simply too loud and slow. It's masks the minute details modern computers are able to communicate with sound and video.

That being said, I bought my TSW Sport in November of 1998. (Hmmm... that's and interesting time to buy a high priced wheel, eh?) Since then I have replace the pots maybe six times. They get them out in days, every time. There was a crack in one of the levers that hook up the pedals to the pots. TSW sent an entire replacement pack free as they decided to use a different material. No problems since, except that I have an analog game cable coming from it. Not TSWs fault that Windows XP doesn't recongnize analog game ports correctly, but as soon as I send my wheel in, they will rebuild it to modern spec for the price of parts. Pretty cool if you ask me.

This is the absolute truth: My wheel feels and opperates EXACTLY as it did in November of 1998. Consistency is the pay off. I never, ever think about my wheel. It's just a part of me. Matter of fact, I am falling apart faster than the wheel. (Oy! My aching knee.)

So, for something a little less than the ECCI, like, about two 3rds the price, TSW is a very good choice. BTW, the Sport is a very basic package. No frills. You can frill until you're blue in the face if you care to spend the dough.

The ECCI pedals are looking very, very interesting.
Thanks for all the Info
Just wanted to say thanks to all for all the Wheel info.
I've went through many Plastic wheel in the past and don't really want to spend more on another, I want something thats fully rebuildable. Sadly neither the TSW or the ECCI wheels are within my budget as now most of my extra cash is going into my 73 Nova project, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/403904 and the engine I just built. http://memimage.cardomain.net/ ... 3000-403999/403904_32.jpg

After the holidays I'm leaning towards the TSW2 base model upgraded w/ the ETI pots to start with.
Until then give me a little more room on the track

Thanks
I looked at the wheel (thrustmaster RGT) on their site. It looks pretty good and apparently priced to compete directly with Logitech. When my wheel bites the dust, If I still play after that, I will definately look into this wheel.
I'm still concerned with the pedals though. I've never heard of any one
having problems with thrustmaster pedals, but I've never really heard of anyone HAVING a thrustmaster wheel period. I mean the pedals are aluminum
and that's all good, but what are those alunimum pedals hooked up to?
I guess we're going to have to wait a bit to see if they hold up since I think they just recently released this wheel.
Quote from Racer Y : I mean the pedals are aluminum
and that's all good, but what are those alunimum pedals hooked up to?

Yeah, the pedalcovers are alu, but the rest of it is all plastic. They look exectly the same as my Thrustmaster F1 FF - pedals.

I have fixed the pedals bottom plate with a solid sheet of aluminium, cause the plastic couldn't stand my abuse... Inside are el cheapo pots, that need some electrospray once in a while....

It's my second Thrustmaster wheel and overall I think it's ok for the money, but nothing special. (ab)Used it for two years now, it seems to get tired....

Just yesterday one of the wheelpaddle-springs broke, I just hope i can fix it because no money for a new wheel atm.

I don't trust-master on higher quality standards with their new wheel, but hope to be surprised one day.....
I couldnt live without FF. Helps so much! Like most said, i reccomend the Driving Force Pro. Look on amazon or something, i got mine for 114 US dollars
Hey SRXtreme,

I have a well worn Act labs setup with modified performance pedals and the "notchiness" can easily be dealth with by adjusting the force feedback setup in the game / act labs driver setup.

Until you step-up to the TSW wheel (I also think it's a really good price/value) just try to fiddle with the settings and you should be fine.

As far as spinning out, practice with any wheel is the best investment / remedy..

From following guys that are really fast I can definitely tell you that my wheel is not my limiting factor. My lines and timing for brake / turn / accel are!

Some guys get near world records with the keyboard and a joystick.

Just my 2 cents..
DFP user here concurs

before it was like look where my nose is pointing and if the car is shaking to sense its loosing grip, with FFB u just feel the grip fading till it suddenly goes all sideways (its sweet to let go of the steer too when coming out of the corner, totally feels like reallife... and yeah my center spring is disabled )
#18 - Woz
Quote from JFRivard :Hey SRXtreme,

I have a well worn Act labs setup with modified performance pedals and the "notchiness" can easily be dealth with by adjusting the force feedback setup in the game / act labs driver setup.

Until you step-up to the TSW wheel (I also think it's a really good price/value) just try to fiddle with the settings and you should be fine.

As far as spinning out, practice with any wheel is the best investment / remedy..

From following guys that are really fast I can definitely tell you that my wheel is not my limiting factor. My lines and timing for brake / turn / accel are!

Some guys get near world records with the keyboard and a joystick.

Just my 2 cents..

I would prefer a Frex modified DFP than a TSW. At least you still get FF and you have a top notch wheel after the mod
huh, seems like i made a good choice. in 7 days i have birthday, and i said i want a DFP
a friend of me have the same, and he says its nice.
seems to be good stuff!
Hey guys where can i buy the thrustmaster RGT. I can't find it anywhere. I live in Ohio. Thanks
just a quick note:
if someone has really, really lots of money to spend - not my case :-( - i think probably the best option would be a force dynamics system.
you can check the demo videos to see it in action.

http://www.force-dynamics.com/

ask it for christmas :-)
cya.
Nothing new for me
Quote from JFRivard :Hey SRXtreme,

Thanks I took your advice and after much fiddling with the setting I have got My Force RS doing much better, unfortunatley I cant say as much for my driving skills. but I did shave off 16 seconds from my first couple laps. Got it down to a 1:44 I think going from auto to manual shift accounts for allot of that.

Also I have the seperate Act Labs shifter it plugs into the force RS Wheel but if you want to use it as a stand alone device with other shifters you can get the new USB adapter here Has 7speed +r plate 6 speed plate and H-L plate
http://www.act-labs.com/productimages/79_x.jpg for $15

http://www.act-labs.com/productimages/300_L.jpg

o 2-in-1 USB Adapter
o Works with ALL ACT LABS Shifters and Performance Pedals
if anyone is interested PM me an offer
Thanks
Attached images
79_L.jpg
300_L.jpg
Quote from Slartibartfast : (Blah blah no FF)1998.(blah blah no FF)

You sure know, that we have 2006, that software technology has progressed and there is for sure a reason why all the HQ-wheel manufacturers are working on FF-wheels (BRD, VPP, Force Dynamics System has FF-wheel too). Maybe you should especially in LFS give it another shot, cause this FF is not overloaded with effects, but only shows what you really get back as in your real car...

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG