The online racing simulator
What should i get
(13 posts, started )
What should i get
I am about to build a rig...i know i've asked before 1nce...but still, about the Q6600, or a cheaper Core 2 Duo...i dont really upgrade much, but i've heard that a new Q9450 something or the other CPU is coming out...and loads of people said "the people who get the Q6600 now are likely to ditch their chip when the new Q9450 comes out"

"The Q6600 isn't the best choice right now. I'd get an E2180 and wait for that Q9450. Or just the E6750. All this Quad hype.."

Thats what people have said... should i just go for an E6750 (because thats the exact same thing as a E6850, except its just overclocked 333Mhz more, right?)

I just....don't know, i promised myself for the Quad....and my heart is still with the quad, and my hearts telling me, "go for the Quad"....

I would just like your opinion on the matter though
You'll get lots of learned opinions (not from me on this matter), and you'll end up ignoring them anyway. I hope for their sake they don't bother replying. You've had your chances, you've thrown it back at their faces. Why should anyone reply when you've openly said we (collectively) suck and aren't friendly?

My advice - look at your budget. Buy a good PC for the price. Next week it'll be 'out of date' anyway and you'd have got more for your money. Stop worrying about it. If you just bought something you could have had a kickass PC for a few weeks now...
Quote from harjun :I am about to build a rig...i know i've asked before 1nce...but still, about the Q6600, or a cheaper Core 2 Duo...i dont really upgrade much, but i've heard that a new Q9450 something or the other CPU is coming out...and loads of people said "the people who get the Q6600 now are likely to ditch their chip when the new Q9450 comes out"

"The Q6600 isn't the best choice right now. I'd get an E2180 and wait for that Q9450. Or just the E6750. All this Quad hype.."

Thats what people have said... should i just go for an E6750 (because thats the exact same thing as a E6850, except its just overclocked 333Mhz more, right?)

I just....don't know, i promised myself for the Quad....and my heart is still with the quad, and my hearts telling me, "go for the Quad"....

I would just like your opinion on the matter though

Stick with the Q6600, i have that in my machine and it is brilliant. And once these new processors come out, the price of the Q6600 will go down (more than likely).

p.s, your sig is retarded.
#4 - garph
Quote from harjun :I hate you all....only a few people on this forum are nice...don't know whats wrong with it..."spam this, spam that"...little girls, so worried about a gay little post count, loosers.

That's an even better way to get help you and keep the focus of your thread on your question, well done.

It's nothing to do with the post count, people just have no patients for you anymore. Just pick a CPU and shut up about it
#5 - Jakg
Up to you - Q6600 is a great CPU, but the Penryn's will push the price down while being faster and cheaper. Bottom line - can you wait for a Penryn...?
Quote from Jakg :Up to you - Q6600 is a great CPU, but the Penryn's will push the price down while being faster and cheaper. Bottom line - can you wait for a Penryn...?

thanks jack for being nice but, what is a penryn?
#7 - Jakg
Penryn is the codename for the Q9*** series of CPU's, ie the CPU's that are 45 nm and Quad Core.
ok...so what is the difference between 45 nm...and 65 nm...like the Q6600 is, and how much do you think it will be...£150?

Also...whats the differnce between the Q6600 GO...and Q6600 Energy Efficient GO...beucase the enrgy efficient one is £5 cheaper for some reason

Thanks so much Jakg...it may not seem like you help me much...but to be honest...you've helped me so much on what to decide to get...turned me into a sort of computer geek , and taught me a LOT about computers...once ive got £300 more i need (got that in 3 weeks )...and i get my computer...im gonna save up £30 or something, and give it to you , thats it everything works

Thanks so much Jack
#9 - Jakg
45 nm means that it runs cooler and (Generally) overclocks better, and the 2.66 GHz 6 MB cache Penryn is set to land at the exact same price suppliers currently pay Intel for a Q6600, so the Q6600 should drop in price.

The Q6600 G0 is what you want - most suppliers are now offering the OEM one, which has a shorter warranty (1 year vs. 3 years) and no heatsink supplied as standard. IMO the OEM is not yet worth the drop in price.
on ebuyer i get some deal...
Q6600 GO=£145
Q6600 GO Energy Efficient + AF7=£147

And the enrgy efficient...i can just supply more Voltage to it in the BIOS can't i, so it's really exactly the same

i think i'll go for an E2180 now, then wait till those peryns come out, then sell the E2180, and splash out on one of those
Thanks jakg for persuading me man
#11 - Jakg
The G0 IS the Energy Effecient model, however A. Your not including VAT in those prices (IIRC from pricing up this morning the Q6600+AF7 deal was £170.17) B. The 1st G0 is a "Retail" model, whereas the deal is with an OEM CPU.

I really don't think the OEM is worth it - saving £12 but loosing 2 years worth of warranty and not having a spare heatsink isn't something i'd be into. But then this is coming from the guy who bought his CPU off eBay, with no warranty, no clue of where the CPU came from and no packaging!

The E2180 is a good CPU, and without sounding like someone who uses £50 notes to light his Cigars, it's also a nice CPU to learn to overclock on with it's high thermal threshold (Thanks to the new "M0" stepping it's 72 degrees iirc) and the fact it will achieve frankly rediculous overclocks while being inexpensive to replace if you kill it.

For anyone that does ever buy an Intel CPU - i strongly recommend reading the page of information about your CPU (here) as it tells you things like the vCore specifications (ie they don't recommend to go over 1.5v on a Q6600, although that would be pretty hot for an Air Cooler), max temperatures and other information.
hmm...thank you very much Jakg, i understand now

by the way the combo is actually £169
http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?qfind=Q6600

just do it trust me

Thanks anyway Jakg

EDIT: Jakg...should i get a watercooling Zalman Reserator? yes or no....i'm dont really want it, too hard etc., just forget this sorry
#13 - Mc21

What should i get
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG