The world's favorite race series?
(35 posts, started )

Poll : You're favorite flavour of motorsport

Rallying/RallyX
Single seaters
GT/endurance
Saloon Cars
Drag racing/sprints/hillclimbs
Short oval (yes that includes bangersBig grin" />)
AutoX/trials
I think it would be nice to know what sort of racing really stirs people up the most, weather it's the glamour of F1, the Passion of endurance racing or the rough and tumble of rallying. If you had to choose one flavour of motorsport which on would it be? Post you're favorite specific series if you like.
Rallying (including Hillclimb, Baha, Dakar, etc) hands down.... because:

-Drivers have balls and have great skill
-Courses are nuts -- narrow, dangerous, upredictable, various terrain
-Cars are pretty fast, and most road cars you can buy are based off their older 'rally' brother.
-Travel all over the world
-Most importantly -- Has the best excitement for the spectators. No other motorsport can compare. It just has more action, and variety -- like close calls, jumps, crashes, slides, etc

Don't know what else to say, other than rallying is damn cool.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
it's usually free tho'

they're can't be much to compare to seeing a few hundred different cars (most of 'em loonies) careering through a forest or down a winding narrow road.

I'd have voted for rallying myselft but they banned Group B, so i'll have to go for GT's OR tin-tops
Would have prefered a choice of 'Touring Cars'.... Saloon Car sounds like a family car
Le Mans! Nothing else sounds as good (not an oppinion, a fact )
I voted Rally but touring cars comes a close second
Not just WRC for me either love all forms of rally, including one event called the Targa Rally here in Aus. its basically an open class rally on tarmac oh and I love any event held at Bathurst
#7 - X-Ter
Anything shorter than 60 minutes is just a practice run
Rallying. I think also that it's not a spectator-friendly motorsport. I don't really understand what Tweaker means with "the best excitement for the spectators".

DTM and GT series etc. would be interesting but I don't currently have a cabel tv so I can't see them.

I used to be interested in F1 but not anymore. Because lack of interest in the real series also the formulas in LFS couldn't be more boring.
Quote from X-Ter :Anything shorter than 60 minutes is just a practice run

agreed

24h of LM, spa or the mighty 'ring are my top 3 races of the season, it's just they don't happen in my country and TV coverage is terrible (except LM, but you're usually forced to watch about 6hrs of tennis too on eurosport)
Maybe there should be a historics catagory? F1 doesn't even come close to a grid of Group C cars or the sound of proper single seaters screaming past the pits
Quote from deggis :Rallying. I think also that it's not a spectator-friendly motorsport. I don't really understand what Tweaker means with "the best excitement for the spectators".

I've watched many road races, Laguna Seca, ovals, yatta yatta... over time they are BORING!!! for the spectators. Single seaters (Champ Cars) even are awesome at first site, but things get incredibly boring -- becaue they keep doing the same thing over and over again. What I refer to rally is that it is always different and, to me at least, it is very cool to see the cars come around a crazy bend or hairpin for example. They are taking similar roadcar-like cars to the limits, and they do it fast nearly touching everything. I've never experienced WRC through my own eyes personally, but I have seen SCCA rallies here, but I am sure they aren't as fast as the pros over in Europe. I'd just rather see lots of cool action in rallying than sit and watch road racing -- especially an endurance race, which can get really boring. And if I were to pick which motorsport I'd like to see on television, it'd be rally too... it is way more interesting to watch. That is what I am pointing out here. To me, it is worth watching.
Quote from Tweaker :*clip*

Oh, now I got it. I agree with you but still I'd say rally is very unfriendly for spectators. I mean you're just standing in the middle of nowhere and it's raining or something like that.

Rallycross is also pretty interesting. Even though basicly it's the same as road racing but on dirt.

"They are taking similar roadcar-like cars to the limits."

Not that roadcar-like. I think WRC cars have more electronic systems than casual race cars. Btw I'm happy about the season 2006 rules which will reduce these electronics. And we will see cars going more sideways again because active differentials will be banned.
Well I like the fact that you have to walk or be in the rain/mud to watch it, hell that is what it is all about! I'm an outdoorsy kind of guy, so I don't mind that stuff anyways.

And I mean 'roadcar-like' just because they are cars with which you can relate too (ones you see everyday), only faster and more supreme. That and they don't have ordinary pitstops like any other racing series... they do everything different in a way, which is more like working in the garage while getting ready for the next leg, which I like .
Well circuit racing gets boring pretty quickly unless there is a good race going on or if there is a bunch of truely spectacular cars lapping round .

From personal experience the pitwall can soon become a very wet rainy place when it starts pissing it down (admitably your not in the middle of nowhere).
DTM and BTCC are probably my favourite, love the V8 Supercars series too.

I really enjoy the F1, but it does not produce the best racing by any stretch of the imagination.
BTCC is my number one without a doubt. Been a massive fan since I first went to races back in 1992.

Other than that, rallying (mostly WRC and BRC), historics (preferably saloons or GTs) and saloons/GTs in general float my boat :goodvibes
karting
Rallying & GTs. Prior for a quick-fix of excitement, and the latter for consistency and pace.
dammit, i knew there were some i missed

karting - hell yeah, easily accesable for anybody, and it's awesome fun doing 60 with you're backside 2" from the tarmac.

and historics - i dunno weather i'd put it in a seperate class although it kinda is
has to be F1 for me...been into it since I was 7 years old...

but I also like the BTCC and WRC...and Karting, good fun...especially in the wet!
I voted for Endurance because of Lemans. I still prefer MotoGP as a series.
Rallying for me here. Not sure if it's the best for the live spectators but it definitely is for us behind the TVs. All that road racing stinks in comparison to a WRC run. Or, just watch that onboard video from Petter Solberg. Simply amazing.
Definetely Rallye... There's no other motorsport series with that much skill in it...
WRC it has to be!!!!
MyUncle used to own a house in Wales, and they used to go around it on a hairpin and then down his drive!!! There is nothing better than standing out in the pissing down rain and hearing the popping and banging of the exhaust coming from over the hill, and then seeing the car appear over the crest in the air, and then rolling over right in front of you!!! And the spectators even join in by putting the car back on it's wheels, and then they drive off at full speed!!! What other racing can you do that then!!!!!
I also enjoy the BTCC mainly and other soloon type racing, because even in those series you can get heavy contact and the car is able to continue with the race.
I am quickly loosing patience with F1 at the mo. A tiny little tap and the car is out of the race!! and it's basically a presession anyway!!! The pole sitter wins and that's about it. I only realy watch the F1 for the first 2-3 laps, and then switch over!

Just my two cents!!
I voted GT/Endurance... Like Bob's says LeMans! I love the US version, the ALMS. Great cars, great drivers, pure sports car gusto with the added challenge of long races.

Saloon/Touring comes a close second for me. I like seeing cars I can recognize, somewhat close to the street version.

I also love F1.

Rally is not a big thing here in the US. I do agree with Tweak that it is fun to watch and the drivers are... absolutly looney. Their skill is unmatched. If I were a co-driver, I would be barfing all over the cockpit, every race (and probably making other messes too out of fear). The problem I have with rally is the fans. Standing right next to the track, on the outside of a corner... just waiting to get bug splattered on the windscreen. They are more crazy than the drivers. What is it? A macho thing? See who can reach out a steal a windshield wiper as the car slides past?

(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG